Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    No one is better than Batman at anything. Batman can be upstaged by no one. But we're talking about Superman. The guy almost every writer feels the need to make relatable. So who knows? It's not beyond DC to have Superman constantly needing Jon to rescue him and everyone talking about how incredible Jon is and how he one day would be even better than his dad.
    Well besides the fact that we have no evidence of this happening. Batman constantly says how how his Robins will be better than him. He says that quite a lot. There's no problem with Jon having the potential to be better.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Batman constantly says how how his Robins will be better than him. He says that quite a lot.
    Batman could claim that Earth's entire 7 billion strong population will eventually be better than him. Since none of them actually are right now (or ever will be since time is static in comics) the claim is hollow. It's lip service to the Robin fans, and a lazy way of "developing" character in his sidekicks.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    So NOBODY has a opinion on the fact that jon is younger than when his dad,a full blooded kryptonian could fly,and he is a hybrid.

This is important somehow...maybe this is why superman will be ok with jon being superboy,because he is more powerful than his own dad.
    Well I hope the case is that he has the potential to be more powerful than his dad. I hope he reaches farther and goes higher.

Just like Clark Kent surpassed Jonathan and Jor-El, so too should Jon surpass Clark.

I'm basically hoping for a Franklin Richards-like (doesn't have to be to quite that degree) situation because for Superman tomorrow is always greater than today.

Well besides the fact that we have no evidence of this happening. Batman constantly says how how his Robins will be better than him. He says that quite a lot. There's no problem with Jon having the potential to be better.
    Superman and Batman have partily different audiences from one another. Its entirely possible that some people select Superman as their favorite character because he doesn't have a Robin, just as some Batman and fans may be fans of his because they like the Batman and Robin dynamic. Fans of Batman are also conditioned to him having an underage sidekick, who's costume and character name are iconic, but even then we see that a lot of the Batman movies don't include Robin. Worth noting as well is that its a bridge further to sell a 10 year old sidekick to fans of a guy who's gotten by without a longterm side kick since 1938, and typically teams with adults, whereas Batman fans just had to go from a teenage sidekick to a child sidekick.

I hate the idea of Batman having a child sidekick as well, but my only Batman sub was the Batman-Superman new52 title, whiich did not have Damian in it.

More to the point, when Batman says something like what's quoted about Robin, its to a fan base thats used to him saying that to someone wearing the Robin costume. Superman saying it to a character who's occupying a new role and who the fan base isndl divided on is not doing the new character any favors.

I just want Jon Kent to go away. There isn't really much they could do to "save" that character for me short of him quickly aging to adulthood. If he becomes popular and survives every reboot, I may never buy newly published Superman comics again.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 06-02-2016 at 11:43 PM.

BANNED

Ok so hybrid doesnt mean "watered down"? Instead it means "unlock new potential"? Im not really a fan of that,BUT i see how they pretty much have to do it to have such a young jon doing the superhero thing.

Btw a grownup jon can be seen in batman beyond,kinda vanilla,but maybe they will show more soon.

Ok so hybrid doesnt mean "watered down"? Instead it means "unlock new potential"? Im not really a fan of that,BUT i see how they pretty much have to do it to have such a young jon doing the superhero thing.

Btw a grownup jon can be seen in batman beyond,kinda vanilla,but maybe they will show more soon.
    Wasn't he just being controlled? Pretty sure he's free of that now. And a hybrid having more potential than "True bloods" isn't a new thing. I'm looking at Dragon Ball Z before they reinserted Goku for no reason.

Wasn't he just being controlled? Pretty sure he's free of that now. And a hybrid having more potential than "True bloods" isn't a new thing. I'm looking at Dragon Ball Z before they reinserted Goku for no reason.
    It was either people wanted Goku more or the suits wanted Goku as I heard of the whole thing.

Dragon Ball?

In the end this will turn into a fight between Superman and Goku.. RECENTLY I saw one of his battles in Internet and was perfect, but the loser had to die.

BANNED

He was,then he got better.he came off more like a generoc superman imo,hopefully he is shown more so we can figure more out about him.

I knew someone would use the dragonballz example lol.i dont see how something as weak and puny as humans compared to kryptonians,helps make a hybrid better in any way than a full blood.

Btw whenever kon comes back he would be better off with his original origin of super clone made with human dna,just this time make it lex,so you bring in the hybrid fans.

So NOBODY has a opinion on the fact that jon is younger than when his dad,a full blooded kryptonian could fly,and he is a hybrid.

This is important somehow...maybe this is why superman will be ok with jon being superboy,because he is more powerful than his own dad.
    Its been discussed in other threads.

I think one of the reasons a lot of us are holding back on this aspect is that no one is sure what Superdad's actual origin is anymore. Is it the Byrne origin where Clark was a teenager before developing his powers? Is it the Secret Origin origin where he had powers at a young age? Is it Birthright? Superdad's official (from DC itself) origin was, for years, "multiple choice" and no one knew what the hell was going on. So whether Jon really is more powerful at a younger age than his father is questionable.

I get the feeling that they're playing it up that way myself, but its sort of hard to tell honestly.

For that matter, Superdad's power levels are wildly varied. For the longest time he was much weaker than other versions of Superman, but had a small handful of really impressive feats. Then he started to get stronger.....maybe.....or maybe he just racked up a better collection of Hail Mary feats pulled out of his ass in moments of extreme duress.

So if we ask how powerful Jon is compared to his father, and whether its at a younger age, we gotta answer some questions about Superdad first. And since Superdad isnt even strictly going by post-Crisis continuity, which was beyond f**ked up to begin with.....we're trying to solve an equation with nothing but unknown variables; there's nowhere solid to start from.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Its been discussed in other threads.

I think one of the reasons a lot of us are holding back on this aspect is that no one is sure what Superdad's actual origin is anymore. Is it the Byrne origin where Clark was a teenager before developing his powers? Is it the Secret Origin origin where he had powers at a young age? Is it Birthright? Superdad's official (from DC itself) origin was, for years, "multiple choice" and no one knew what the hell was going on. So whether Jon really is more powerful at a younger age than his father is questionable.

I get the feeling that they're playing it up that way myself, but its sort of hard to tell honestly.

For that matter, Superdad's power levels are wildly varied. For the longest time he was much weaker than other versions of Superman, but had a small handful of really impressive feats. Then he started to get stronger.....maybe.....or maybe he just racked up a better collection of Hail Mary feats pulled out of his ass in moments of extreme duress.

So if we ask how powerful Jon is compared to his father, and whether its at a younger age, we gotta answer some questions about Superdad first. And since Superdad isnt even strictly going by post-Crisis continuity, which was beyond f**ked up to begin with.....we're trying to solve an equation with nothing but unknown variables; there's nowhere solid to start from.
    Even Jurgens seems not to know Superdad's origin.

http://comicbook.com/2015/07/12/dan-...clarifies-the/

The version of Superman that you wrote for many years had a very different Krypton. Once they changed that around, it changed a lot of the trappings and a lot of his villains. Does this Superman have The Man of Steel or Secret Origin in his rear-view mirror -- or does it not matter?

Jurgens: I won't say that it doesn't matter. I think what's most important to understand is, his background still reflects that very classic Superman background that was of that era. Yes, visually things were changed with Krypton, but still the same basic core concepts were in place, and they're in place here.

This is a Superman whose parents lived on -- and when I say "parents," I mean Jonathan and Martha Kent -- and that makes him different from the current Superman. And it's someone who has this relationship with Lois as such that he would look at this world's Superman and Wonder Woman and say "Everything is different."

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Jon at least has superpowers making him less vulnerable than the other Robins. Not to mention kid sidekicks have been a staple of DC for decades.
    I don't think that "Jon has powers" is valid argument since he is likely to face threats that are capable of hurting and killing him just like Superman faces much more powerful enemies than Batman.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Im a HUGE kon-el fan and i am not hating on the kid at all,and i wont.

The only thing im mad about is that nuperman,JL3000,jon,and kenan kong all have used facets of kons past to create them,and DC wont give kon credit for that,plus think having kon at the same time would be to many superboys.

As a kon fan ive been waiting for a way to "gradute" the character,and jon is the perfect way to do it.i dont want kon to be superboy anymore,i want him called SCION,i want his "nightwing" moment.the skies the limit for kon.
    Agreeing. They made Bart Allen Flash way to quickly and that screwed him over for a while. Conner has gone through a lot and I think, if anything, he could stand on his own. Scion could be an interesting name for him, has a nice right to it too.

Here's the thing, if you look back on a lot of younger characters being "Better" then their respective family or guardians that's happened in a lot of cases all the way back to the earliest characters:

Dick was a lot more athletic and a quicker study then Bruce
    Jason had better fighting skills when it came to street fights
    Tim was a lot better on the computer then Bruce
    Babs did better when it came to both computer and stealth
    Kate is far better in compromised situations then him
    Duke seems to know more about the streets like Jason
    Terry was able to handle the Joker in a different way
    Cassandra is a ninja
    Steph has a way with words and can talk her way out of a lot of situations.

Kara is faster then Clark and gained her powers more quickly
    Kon had the TK powers on top of everything Super related
    Cir-el could do things with her elemental powers that clark couldn't
    Karen can actually out punch clark and go for longer periods of time in flying

Bart is far faster and can easily consume more then Walley or Barry
    Jae and Iris both could use the Speed force in ways different then their dad
    Walley was faster then Barry and could control it more
    Barry was faster then Jay

Tempest could call out water from other things
    Red Arrow was a better shot at an earlier age then Oliver
    Conner Hawke could fight better then his dad.

This is nothing new with the kid having more skills then his father at an early age. Same things with the Wonder Girls and let's not forget that Star Girl could use the belt better then the original Star Spangled Kid or S.T.R.I.P.S.
    Last edited by Darkspellmaster; 06-06-2016 at 03:51 PM.