Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    I think it is nearly impossible to write a cogent review of a single issue of a long story arc. Without any context I would say the review is fair, but you really have to have read Lois & Clark and Super League and read this as an epilogue to those stories
    No. Please.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

BANNED

I think it is nearly impossible to write a cogent review of a single issue of a long story arc. Without any context I would say the review is fair, but you really have to have read Lois & Clark and Super League and read this as an epilogue to those stories
    this isn't the first issue, it's a one-shot to present the new status quo

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    Fascinating, but I have no idea what this has to do with my post

I wouldn't call this the new status quo. This is a gimmicky big event that would last for about 2 years before they reboot the whole thing again

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    No. Please.
    Ok, well if you don't give it a shot what else is there to say on the matter. N52 Supes will come back around, even if only to kill him again, so I assume you are just going to negativity bomb every Superman thread until then. We get it, you don't like the change

BANNED

Fascinating, but I have no idea what this has to do with my post
    well I won't really explain to you

Didn't buy it or read it. Don't plan to buy it or read it.

However, I actually do have some issue related comments (I'm not just posting here to announce that I didn't get it due to SuperDad ):

One thing that stood out to me reading the description in the original post and some of the rest of the thread was that this plot had very little in common with the solicitation, where, and this is just going from memory, it was described as something along the lines of "A mysterious threat to Superman's son forces him to go searching for clues and root out the bad guy" or something. Of course, solicitations are often off, nothing too significant about that in and of itself.

But I wonder if:

A) This might lend some credence to the theory that Superman was originally going to be a new52 Superman title, with SuperDad on Action Comics, and it got changed shortly before Wondercon (Leading to a stand-in solicitation, or one based on a very early concept).

and/or

B) If they are hearing their new52 fans a little bit that we won't accept them sweeping our guy totally under the rug, and decided to toss in our favorite electrical engineer and a story partly based on his death with a statue, and not just immediately completely move on from the real Clark Kent.

Also, can anyone post a screenshot of the new statue with new52 Superman holding up the worlds with both sets of his parents? That's about the only panel that I have any interest in. Not worth $2.99 to see a picture of a statue, but I'd look at a picture of a statue for free.

well I won't really explain to you
    Yes, I would hate for you to lower yourself to my intellectual level. This was a capstone, literally and figuratively, on about 20 issues stretching across 5 books. It certainly wasn't setting up the new run, it buried the last one. Therefore, I don't think a review w/o context makes much sense. But carry on griping

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post

However, I actually do have some issue related comments (I'm not just posting here to announce that I didn't get it due to SuperDad ):

One thing that stood out to me reading the description in the original post and some of the rest of the thread was that this plot had very little in common with the solicitation, where, and this is just going from memory, it was described as something along the lines of "A mysterious threat to Superman's son forces him to go searching for clues and root out the bad guy" or something. Of course, solicitations are often off, nothing too significant about that in and of itself.

But I wonder if:

A) This might lend some credence to the theory that Superman was originally going to be a new52 Superman title, with SuperDad on Action Comics, and it got changed shortly before Wondercon (Leading to a stand-in solicitation, or one based on a very early concept).

and/or

B) If they are hearing their new52 fans a little bit that we won't accept them sweeping our guy totally under the rug, and decided to toss in our favorite electrical engineer and a story partly based on his death with a statue, and not just immediately completely move on from the real Clark Kent.

Also, can anyone post a screenshot of the new statue with new52 Superman holding up the worlds with both sets of his parents? That's about the only panel that I have any interest in. Not worth $2.99 to see a picture of a statue, but I'd look at a picture of a statue for free.
    The solicit was, "The world needs a Man of Steel, but can Superman protect the world while raising a super-son with his wife, Lois Lane?

IT BEGINS: Now it's Clark's turn to be Pa Kent and teach his son what it means to be super, but who is hunting Superman's son—and why?"

Which pretty much has nothing to do with this comic. This comic is all about ending Nuperman's run with tact and reverence while simultaneously embracing Superdad.

Amazing Member

fortressstatue.jpg

10char

Fantastic Member

)
    You're mixing up Superman: Rebirth #1 with the actual Superman #1 issue. Although, like mentioned above the actual solicitation of this issue doesn't really match it well either. I guess they initially intended to basically make this the beginning of the main storyline of the Superman book, but then decided to make it an epilogue/prologue instead. This book is probably the lest new reader friendly too, which is kind of odd.
    Last edited by NeonZ; 06-01-2016 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Pilotus View Post
    Thanks! Statue looks nice.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, I'm just pasting what I posted on the "What Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" thread as it's related to this book:

I don't know if he was deliberately drawn to look like a prick, but that's how Superdad looked like to me at the end of SUPERMAN REBIRTH when it he unilaterally made the decision he was going to be Earth-0's Superman. I expect Batman and especially Wonder Woman to say a thing or three about Superdad's decision outside the SUPER titles.

I was willing to give this Superman I outgrew another try, but not after this issue. Everything that bored me about him just all came back to me, and I hate that Tomasi and Gleason seemingly foreclosed even the possibility of Superman returning just because Earth-0 is missing some Kryptonian doohickey that Superdad had in his world.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    I don't know if he was deliberately drawn to look like a prick, but that's how Superdad looked like to me at the end of SUPERMAN REBIRTH
    lol, Superprick...
    superprick.JPG

It might just be you. Can't blame you though...DC is getting very accomplished at equally effing all aspects of the fanbase at some point or another. Unfortunately, looks like it's your turn.

You did not miss much.. out several pages of old "death of superman" a a futile attempt to regenerate him, a hologram of superman leaving a message to Kara and the statue.. THE END OF THIS.

As I imagined .. The fortress belongs to face but superdad has managed to get into it. The rebirth not yet started and we know that he can use the fortress

Superman remains were buried with the Kent Family by Lana...

Old fans complain our superman.. BUT superdad was surprised to see the statues of Jonathan and Martha Kent in the fortress.. He honored BOTH parents(kryptonians and the kent).
    Last edited by adrikito; 06-01-2016 at 10:52 AM.