Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
    Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I can't condone the way they've handled this entire situation. From top to bottom it has been insulting to fans, the creators who poured their efforts into the last five years, certainly Nuperman, and Id even argue its insulting to Superdad, who finally got a happy ending of sorts in 2011. And I dont believe for a second that this new situation is somehow going to make the people behind the scenes any better at their jobs. Berganza is not going to become a better editor and drive the line towards a better direction just because of all this. I mean, this is like those troubled couples who have a kid as a desperate attempt to save the marriage. Berganza was a weak editor the first time around and he's worse now. And the talent he's pulling in isnt bad by any means, but they're far from inspired choices who have fresh new voices and ideas for the character. I expect this to be as big a trainwreck as Truth and Doomed.

But I hope Im wrong.

Im not a Nuperman fan. Im sure as hell not a Superdad fan. I am a Superman fan, and I want fun, well crafted, intelligent, layered stories that entertain and spark my imagination. The particulars of that dont matter much to me.

If Rebirth, somehow, actually does that? I will swallow all the bitching and moaning Ive done in recent months and happily say that they proved me wrong. I just dont trust the people at DC to achieve it. But again, I would love to have to eat my words.
    TBH, Superdad had a really boring time leading up to the happy ending, but other than that, I totally understand and I know how I would feel if back during Post-Crisis he got killed, cut and pasted rather than a proud statement of how he was back to being Superman. I would be complaining pretty loud I hope I am wrong as well, I hope that my gut feeling of Crossover Event hell is proven wrong as well.

its a good bet that crossover event hell continues. Again, the leadership is exactly the same. Not even a new editor for the Superman line. Same guys up top, same guy in the middle, standard company man talent at the bottom. Not going to get a different result.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-04-2016 at 09:41 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suemorphplus209 View Post
    TBH, Superdad had a really boring time leading up to the happy ending, but other than that, I totally understand and I know how I would feel if back during Post-Crisis he got killed, cut and pasted rather than a proud statement of how he was back to being Superman. I would be complaining pretty loud I hope I am wrong as well, I hope that my gut feeling of Crossover Event hell is proven wrong as well.
    I honestly doubt DC learned anything with the same guys in charge. It will most certainly happen, it's all a question of when.

It's pretty optimistic to think Dan can bring back the success of the 90's but I hope your right (I think so too

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    I don't if that was already mentioned by DC before and I just missed it, but it looks like Damian and Jon aren't exactly going to get along.
    I think that's a good thing.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    It's pretty optimistic to think Dan can bring back the success of the 90's but I hope your right (I think so too
    you'd have to bring back Simonson and Carlin for that to happen.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Honestly, I wonder what Carlin is doing these days? While I'd prefer a completely new editor with an even handed creator friendly approach,I wouldn't be completely opposed to him taking over again if that was a possibility. He ran the Post-Crisis Superman very well and I don't think it's a coincidence that not long after he was promoted away from the titles (1996?) that the Post-Crisis era jumped the shark. If the "new" Superdad era is more of the guy we had Post-Crisis and pre 2000's anyway, why not go all the way? Perhaps even see if Roger Stern or Karl Kesel or Jerry Ordway could contribute. Yeah, we are moving backwards,but that ship sailed when they got Jurgens, so why the hell not just go for it fully and get some Post-Crisis writers that aren't as bland and by the numbers as Jurgens. Can't be worse than Eddie Berganza getting a third chance to destroy Superman.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Honestly, I wonder what Carlin is doing these days? While I'd prefer a completely new editor with an even handed creator friendly approach,I wouldn't be completely opposed to him taking over again if that was a possibility. He ran the Post-Crisis Superman very well and I don't think it's a coincidence that not long after he was promoted away from the titles (1996?) that the Post-Crisis era jumped the shark. If the "new" Superdad era is more of the guy we had Post-Crisis and pre 2000's anyway, why not go all the way? Perhaps even see if Roger Stern or Karl Kesel or Jerry Ordway could contribute. Yeah, we are moving backwards,but that ship sailed when they got Jurgens, so why the hell not just go for it fully and get some Post-Crisis writers that aren't as bland and by the numbers as Jurgens. Can't be worse than Eddie Berganza getting a third chance to destroy Superman.
    Carlin is on DC animation. IDK but superman really needs to move forward. It's nice some nostalgia, but being stuck on past too long can hirt the character a lot

I liked this more than I thought I would. Tomasi's writing was better than I expected and Mahnke did an incredible job with the Doomsday fight scenes. I like Gleason's art so I will try #1 this upcoming week, although I don't really care for any of what they are doing with the new status quo (find the Lois & Jon stuff really boring, don't care about the New 52 Superman death shenanigans, etc).
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Well, I gave Tomasi's Superman Rebirth a shot a couple weeks back, and I thought it was well written and Superdad was decently handled. However, I was hoping the Special would provide a kind of preview to establish the broad strokes of the new status quo going forward. It failed to do that, but was good enough I'll be giving Superman #1 a chance.

Didn't bother with Action at all. Feels weird, not buying an issue of Action (not since WoNK have I failed to read Action), but I am glad to see Superman selling well. This might not be "my" guy, and I might not be along for the ride going forward (we'll see) but I want Superman to succeed.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Action was great. I got to know Luthor more in New 52. Superman and Lex both really don't know much about each other, they both know previous versions. For the first time in years I am reading Superman again, but coming out twice a month is going to be expensive.
    I have no beef with Vegans

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    Action was great. I got to know Luthor more in New 52. Superman and Lex both really don't know much about each other, they both know previous versions. For the first time in years I am reading Superman again, but coming out twice a month is going to be expensive.
    really, we're getting Superman once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    Eh, if word of mouth is crazy positive and some folks who's opinions I trust recommend it, I might trade wait.

Ended up using Rebirth as a chance to drop a lot of my pull and trade wait, Action was not the only title to get the cut by a long shot.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    really, we're getting Superman once a week.
    It's kind of like the heyday of the late 80s, early 90s triangle books, when I got my weekly Superman fix. I'm looking forward to something like that again.