Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I just read the Batman Rebirth issue, and it confirms that these books are just made to set stuff up and pre heat the oven before the new #1's come out. The stories aren't ground breaking.

The two contrast pretty interestingly. The Superman Rebirth story is pretty intimate while the Batman one is ideological. I just noticed it but both directly deal with the idea of a rebirth in the confines of their own worlds. Batman uses Calendar-man's powers and Batman reinventing himself to fight it. Superman deals with the actual idea of a rebirth via Clark and Lana over Nuperman, but end in the rebirth of pre-52 Clark

I'll have to read the other books but so far I LOVE this sort of creative synergy. Common themes, but filtered through distinctly unique worlds. Nice one!

BANNED

It was decent but these are like those free DC/YOU previews...except these are not free.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    Definitely, but I think it's a good indicator that while we won't get something on the level of Morrison's Action Comics, there's this feeling that both Tomasi and Jurgens know exactly how they are going to proceed with the Superman line and the stories they tell are going to consistent in terms of quality.

One of the problems with the New 52 launch was that other writers didn't know what Morrison was doing, which made things difficult for the writers on the Superman title. Here at least we'll be getting a Superman that's consistently characterized the same way. The quality of stories they tell are never going to reach the heights of Morrison or Pak/Kuder, but the Superman line will be more stable than it ever was during the New 52.
    Sadly for all of his acclaimed accomplishments, that's always a problem when you have Grant Morrison working on a line based comic book series like Superman and Action Comics. No connectivity between the two to make the reader understand the titles better.

I'm around sometimes NeuroticNyx's Avatar

I wonder how confused Kara is going to be when she gets back to see there's a new statue added.

Just read this issue. It just fell really hollow. It really gives the sense that the death of Superman really doesn't matter anymore. Why should it? There's another Superman who looks and acts the same waiting in the wings. The world never has to function without him. Supergirl and the rest of the Justice League never have to pick up the slack. This new Superman who is basically the same as the old just steps in and nobody bats an eye. It just feels so forced and contrived. I know Rebirth is supposed to be about renewed hope, but why did New 52 Superman have to die for that hope? What's the point? Is it just because DC wants the old Superman that was married? Is this really the only way to accomplish that? Again, it feels too forced. I'm much more interested in reading about Supergirl and Lex Luthor than I am about this version of Superman.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Lana agrees to let Superman try to revive her friend, and she tells him that since Nu Clark's death, she inexplicably knows where his FOS is, hinting at the possibility she and Nu Lois don't just inherent Nuperman's powers,but much more.
    So, my joke wasn't very far from the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Plot twist: Superwoman is New52 Superman. He's not dying, just changing.
    I suppose that the other two red bolts have "generated" the Eradicator and the new Clark Kent of AC.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 06-01-2016 at 04:36 AM.

Always Rakzo

Thought this was solid. Gleason's inclusion as a writer seems to be helping some of the usual problems that Tomasi's have with dialogue (or at least I felt like it did) and the presentation is pretty good.

Mahnke's art was gorgeous as well. Let's see if the direction remains interesting.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Whilst it is interesting seeing how things play out, the twists about Lana and Lois' gift following Nupermans' death, oh and the rebirth matrix (where is it?)...it's patently clear now that Nuperman is well gone...any of us with hope that he comes back well forget it.....the seeds of an option to return him are being sown, but, it will be entirely DC's choice, based on sales etc...with Superman DC seem to like to keep their options open about which version of him to present, the option to chop and change and reboot, based on short-termism....we now have the current "returned" version and it'll have some mileage...but if it doesn't work out, all change again! Let's see how the wind blows for DC on this...

Jon

Incredible Member

This was pretty much the first I've read from Superdad and I'm all on board.

Not always a fan of Mahnke's art, especially in the recent S/WW book, but it was phenomenal here.

They have told a story that leads nowhere in this situation, even the fortress of solitude, failed.. To say goodbye to the character they had to use more pages in him..

I thought that would appear a little of superwoman. His comic starts from 0..

Good luck in superman, those who are not celebrating his death.
    Last edited by adrikito; 06-01-2016 at 05:21 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post
    Whilst it is interesting seeing how things play out, the twists about Lana and Lois' gift following Nupermans' death, oh and the rebirth matrix (where is it?)...it's patently clear now that Nuperman is well gone...any of us with hope that he comes back well forget it.....the seeds of an option to return him are being sown, but, it will be entirely DC's choice, based on sales etc...with Superman DC seem to like to keep their options open about which version of him to present, the option to chop and change and reboot, based on short-termism....we now have the current "returned" version and it'll have some mileage...but if it doesn't work out, all change again! Let's see how the wind blows for DC on this...

Jon
    To be fair, I think it would have been dumb to expect him to come back in this issue. They JUST killed him and he won't be the main player in the coming months. I think fans of Nuperman should just hope Dr. Oz has good news for them at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    To be fair, I think it would have been dumb to expect him to come back in this issue. They JUST killed him and he won't be the main player in the coming months. I think fans of Nuperman should just hope Dr. Oz has good news for them at this point.
    Oz did not think that his death as a tragedy.. he only make things worse.. FOR EXAMPLE

Oz: The previous superman was the worst criminal of the Galaxy.. I alter your mind and memories to transform him into the greatest hero with my powers......

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Had it not been for the promotion of Rebirth, I think this should have certainly been Final Days part 9.

They already said that these one shots were all for set up, so for what is was, it was pretty good. I liked that bit where Clark realized who could have honored both Parents. But I guess since they were alive most of the time, he didn't REALLY need to. 8/10

Now what's REALLY interesting is that Lana and Lois seem to have gotten more than just Clark's powers.... Or maybe what Lois and Lana got were very different. Maybe Lois got the power and Lana got the knowledge? Who knows but apparently only one of them becomes the Superwoman. I do wonder if this will play a part in some form of resurrection. I hope that wouldn't require both of them to be depowered. That would be a blow.