Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

I actually mentioned a few months ago that I don't really care for Civil War 2.

The first Civil War had a lot more weight and we hadn't seen anything like that before.

I didn't have Civil War 2 issue 1 but the entire event just seems unnecessary.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    I don't even get these events Marvel is doing lately, this and the thing in the town with the girl don't even feel like they're events. I wasn't even really reading comics much when Civil War, Secret Invasion, and all those things were going on, but you can bet your ass I was hearing about them, and hearing about them before they came out. Those seemed like huge things. But this and the last thing, I didn't really hear anything about. I was actually kind of surprised to find both this and the last thing were even events.
    Same here.

When the first Civil War came out, I had stopped reading comics but it was so huge that even some of my non comic reading friends had heard about it.

Honestly, I didn't even know Civil War 2 was coming out until I saw the spoilers thread yesterday.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

I'm just disappointed that probably my 2 favourite characters, Hulk (Bruce) and Thor (Thor) are once again looking like they are sitting this one out just like they did in Civil War I and in the cinematic version.

All-New Member

I think that event enthusiasm is directly related to media portrayal. I'm not the biggest nerd out there, but even I could see some of the major flaws in the Cinema portrayals of CW and Apocalypse. Not to mention the lack of developed characters that play roles in these comic events. Marvel has just started to take on with the TV. shows, developing characters within a TV show, from which the character can be transplanted into a movie. They need to start this with a lot of the key heroes in upcoming events, and the movies can be fulfilled better.

The reason I think this is that, me, personally, I understand that movies can't be just like comics, but when you change an entire plot point like they did the accords in CW.. it dissuades me from wanting to continue on with the sequels

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    I'm just disappointed that probably my 2 favourite characters, Hulk (Bruce) and Thor (Thor) are once again looking like they are sitting this one out just like they did in Civil War I and in the cinematic version.
    Now that you mentioned him. Where is Thor Odinson? Is he still trying to become worthy again?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Judging by the first issue, they're the lucky ones.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Threads that ask "Do anyone really care about ________" can be answered in one word: "yes." Whatever it is, I'm sure someone really cares about it.
    This. And I expect sales will back it. I'm not overly impressed, but then I rarely am with events, so I always tend to feel jaded about it when event time rolls around.

I'm skipping this one completely. In fact i actually canceled some standing order titles because i don't even want the tie-ins associated. That's how far removed i want to be from this event. Nothing sounds remotely interesting to me. And in the odd chance i'm wrong and it turns out good, i can always pick it up in trade, although i very much doubt it'll be the case.
    Pull list:
    "Your signature cannot be longer than 500 characters excluding BB code markup."

I read issue 0 and 1 but frankly it just feels really like milking the cow and I am so tired of these mega-events... They use them too often now and it's just a tool to sell more comics cross-wise. If you want to read the whole story you have to buy certain books of a run you would normally ignore. Thats why I am more and more frustrated with these events.
    Ramin Djawadi, the new God composer... Original Score for Warcraft is absolutely amazing and his score for Season 6 of Game of Thrones is beyond epic... THE WINDS OF WINTER

I guess my reaction to Civil War II is pretty much like my reaction to any other big crossover. Firstly the Marketing usually puts me off a bit, because the copy is usually identical every time, but I have learnt to take that with a pinch of salt, or just ignore it. Next the solicits start to give me an initial idea of the scope and scale of the event. Whether the event will be mainly confined to a single editorial office, cross with a couple, or be line wide. Civil War II has been hyped and pushed across a lot of comics, but it doesn't actually feel that big. It does seem to cross editorial lines but it isn't as all encompassing as the original, so it may have limited scope unless it widens considerably.

Once I know an event is going to involve a wide range of characters I am usually quite interested. I like seeing a wide range of characters from across the universe interacting, and in general many other comic fans seem to like that too. It adds gravity to the event, and helps form the illusion of a wider continuity.

In the Case of Civil War II I must admit the prominent role of the Inhumans is not my cup of tea. I could do without their recent rise to prominence, the rhetoric when Marvel decided to elevate them was that they were going to be different to the X-Men but so far it feels like a poor rehash and creates a pointless conflict between them that is understated, denied, but continually referred too in dialogue or sub-text.

The 'Road To' issues I have read or flicked through have been pointlessly linked, and have mostly just tagged-on a portentous ending or just been linked by the theme of conflict. The worst culprit is Invincible Iron Man which seems to be linked just because of Bendis, but it is also drawn by my least favourite comic book artist so I am predisposed to dismiss it as ugly. That does feel duplicitous and a way of selling comics that would otherwise be ignored so be warned, don't fall for it. That doesn't bode well for the event, and reminds me of some of the least inspiring tie-ins from recent years, where the theme or cynical references trump integration and continuity.

On the other hand I do appreciate Bendis as a writer, and Marquez is doing interesting work on issue one, so I did quite enjoy the first part. I am not the kind of person to fret about characters dying. My personal favourite character is original Scott (I know I am weird) and he apparently died off panel, but I don't particularly mind, I am pragmatic and patient. What I do find a little annoying is that the zero issue was actually important to the plot in an a way I wouldn't expect. Traditionally Zero issues are superfluous and help get you up to speed, but all this one did was pick up a few recent threads that had been deliberately scattered into other books and start the story. That isn't an auspicious start, as it breaks an unwritten contract with the readers.

But this is early days, and most events over the last three years have taken us on interesting rides so I am not going to prejudge the story despite the poor initial signs for tie-ins and prequels.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 06-02-2016 at 04:00 AM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

^ That's a good way of looking at it. For me, the biggest reason I'm reading this is because I like Soule's work on Uncanny Inhumans. If it weren't for that, I could stop reading any books that tie in and avoid the whole event.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    I read issue 0 and 1 but frankly it just feels really like milking the cow and I am so tired of these mega-events... They use them too often now and it's just a tool to sell more comics cross-wise. If you want to read the whole story you have to buy certain books of a run you would normally ignore. Thats why I am more and more frustrated with these events.
    The good news about this event is the only books it feels you need to read are the Civil War main event books. So I don't think there are any other books you'd normally ignore that you have to read.

Fantastic Member

teh inhumans do not sell at all once the more casual fan picks up the first two issues and see all the focus on the inhumans and their nonsense the sales will drop drop and drop some more..marvel is just gonna keep pushing these inhumans down our throat no matter what the cost hurting business espicailly to people like me a comic shop owner. The only reason they called this civil war 2 because they had no chance of selling or marketing this event if they gave it an inhuman sounding name which let me tell was without question the orginal plan

I don't really care too much right now. All I'm doing is keeping an eye on what's going on so if anything interests me, I'll take a look but mainly I'm just keeping up so I have an idea what I might want to read whatever marvel launches after this event
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I will not be buying the main book, because Bendis. But I will buy the crossover issues of any book I already buy, plus some of the minis that involve characters I like. But I definitely don't feel like this has the hype that usually surrounds these events. I wonder if Marvel is playing it cooler than usual or if fans just aren't as interested.

I swear, for a comic book website, lot sof people here don't like comic books
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html