Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary X-Man redrunner97's Avatar

Exclamation Those Who Know Fear: Man-Thing (Dr. Theodore Sallis) Appreciation

DR. THEODORE SALLIS APPRECIATION

SECRET IDENTITY:
    Dr. Theodore "Ted" Sallis - Alias: The Man-Thing!

ORIGIN:
    Part of a team of scientists in the Florida Everglades trying to recreate the so-called "Super Soldier Serum" that gave Captain America his powers, a young biochemist by the name of Dr. Theodore "Ted" Sallis finds himself betrayed by his wife, Ellen Brandt, a sleeper agent for Advanced Idea Mechanics. Fleeing for his life, Dr. Sallis injects himself with the only surviving sample of the serum, hoping to save his work from the evil hands of A.I.M. Unfortunately, his car crashes into the swamp, where the formula, mixed with mystical swamp mutagens, transforms him into a monstrous muck creature! Cursed with a horrifying, red-eyed, plant-like visage, Dr. Sallis is no more... there is only Man-Thing! Now a seemingly mindless, yet all-powerful monster, the Man-Thing guards the Citrusville Swamp, and within it, the Nexus of All Realities!

POWERS AND ABILITIES:
    Though originally a scientific genius, when Dr. Sallis morphed into the Man-Thing, he shed his intellect and memory, along with any inclination towards human interaction—though it has been shown possible for the creature to tap into his memories and, though rarely, his former personality, under certain mystical circumstances. As the Man-Thing, he is now an immortal, inter-dimensional being. In addition to immortality and power drawn from the Nexus within his swamp, Man-Thing is also capable of sensing emotion over large distances, though he is very sensitive when it comes to empathy. It is said that "whoever or whatever knows fear will burn at the touch of Man-Thing", this is because of an interdimensionally permeable acidic secretion that pumps through his vegitative flesh which is produced whenever he comes in contact with someone (human or otherwise) who is scared, caused by an overstimulation of his empathetic abilities that thrusts his defense system into overdrive.

CURRENT ADVENTURES:
    Currently, Man-Thing is a member of the Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D, alongside many other fearsome and fantastic creatures!

First Appearance: Savage Tales Vol. 1 #1 (1971).
    Created by Stan Lee, Roy Thomas, Gerry Conway, and Gray Morrow.
    Last edited by redrunner97; 07-11-2016 at 02:47 AM.
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:
    BLACK BOLT | CYCLOPS | SPIDER-MAN 2099 | WICCAN | MS. MARVEL

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:
    BATMAN | MIDNIGHTER | SWAMP THING | INFINITY MAN | NIGHTWING

SPIDER-MAN 2099 APPRECIATION THREAD | MAN-THING APPRECIATION THREAD

BANNED

Happy 45th Anniversary 616 Dr. Theodore "Ted" Sallis - Alias: The Man-Thing!!! 1971-2016

Decades later, Ellen Brandt was put on the road of redemption by the to me esteemed writer J.M. DeMatteiss.

45 years and still kickin'!

I really hope we get a Man-Thing book for Marvel Now! Something with Jennifer Kale, helping him via their psychic link. God, I'd love it.

Long live The Man-Thing!!
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:

BANNED

Happy Birthday George Pérez!!!

Hulk Battles Man-Thing by George Pérez

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

If an appreciation page didn't exist then it's a shame it took this long for one to be created. Man-Thing is a character I loyally follow so when he shows up somewhere I get the title, even if I never did before. Example: Thunderbolts from about 5yrs back, which by the way was one of the longest and best continually uses of the character in modern times. He was given a great character arc over the 3-4yrs he was in the book and when they finally gave him the ability to speak I found that brilliant. Then, sadly, with only one exception all appearances of Man-Thing since that run he's been returned to his mute self. Granted, that's the original version and the one I first loved but they made his transition so organic in Thunderbolts to being able to speak.

He should've been a major spotlight character in Howling Commandoes, with his voice, instead of having Orrgo as part of the mix that took away. Too many big bulky monsters.

Man-Thing 6.jpg

Spidey MT .jpg

thunderbolts176d manthing snitches got me my riches.jpg
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Mighty Member

Fat white kids in the 70's cheered as MT burned an abused woman's face off.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    If an appreciation page didn't exist then it's a shame it took this long for one to be created. Man-Thing is a character I loyally follow so when he shows up somewhere I get the title, even if I never did before. Example: Thunderbolts from about 5yrs back, which by the way was one of the longest and best continually uses of the character in modern times. He was given a great character arc over the 3-4yrs he was in the book and when they finally gave him the ability to speak I found that brilliant. Then, sadly, with only one exception all appearances of Man-Thing since that run he's been returned to his mute self. Granted, that's the original version and the one I first loved but they made his transition so organic in Thunderbolts to being able to speak.

He should've been a major spotlight character in Howling Commandoes, with his voice, instead of having Orrgo as part of the mix that took away. Too many big bulky monsters.
    Agreed. I love Orrgo (What? He's cute), but Man-Thing didn't get the time to shine he deserved, as one of Marvel's main monsters!

Hopefully we'll see him pop up again sometime soon. Hell, I'd love another solo book... maybe with Howard the Duck and Jennifer Kale? It could be very fun, though truth be told I'd like a book that's really terrifying!

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Fat white kids in the 70's cheered as MT burned an abused woman's face off.
    *shudders*
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redrunner97 View Post
    Hopefully we'll see him pop up again sometime soon. Hell, I'd love another solo book... maybe with Howard the Duck and Jennifer Kale? It could be very fun, though truth be told I'd like a book that's really terrifying!
    A solo with Jennifer Kale and/or Satana(she filled the Kale role in Thunderbolts run after all) would be most excellent. I must confess though I wouldn't want Howard the Duck as a regular in the book. I want my Man-Thing book to be more grim, having the cuddly sidekick alters it too much into possible camp territory for my taste. For the power he wields and access to the Nexus Man-Thing(with his cognitive and speaking restored) is a book that could be interacting with Dr.Strange and Scarlet Witch with ease. Perhaps even Moon Knight.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

As a kid I loved Gerber's Man-Thing run, especially the way he was able to work around the fact that the main character didn't speak. Also liked how Manny had to deal with threats that other heroes didn't know existed. A favorite scene that still haunts me.

"Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

I've always assumed that the scars on Brandt's face in Iron Man 3 were caused by Man-Thing's burning touch. It'd be so cool to see him come to the MCU in Infinity Wars because he's just as cosmic as he is horror. The Nexus could be a fun thing to play with in a story like that, as well. But I'm not holding my breath.
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:

DR. THEODORE SALLIS APPRECIATION

SECRET IDENTITY:
    Dr. Theodore "Ted" Sallis - Alias: The Man-Thing!

POWERS AND ABILITIES:
    Though originally a scientific genius, when Dr. Sallis morphed into the Man-Thing, he shed his intellect and memory along with any inclination towards human interaction. As the Man-Thing, he is now an immortal, interdimensional being. In addition to immortality and power drawn from the Nexus within his swamp, Man-Thing is also capable of sensing emotion over large distances, though he is very sensitive when it comes to empathy. It is said that "whoever or whatever knows fear will burn at the touch of Man-Thing", this is because of an acidic secretion that pumps through his vegitative flesh that is produced whenever he comes in contact with someone who is scared, overstimulating his empathetic abilities and thrusting his defense system into overdrive.
    I'm questioning some of Manny's stated powers and abilities. Early on he did seem to have some intelligence and a slight memory being he did recognize people he knew and tried to protect them even if he didn't understand why. Also, I don't believe the "acid" touch explanation because he was able to burn para-normal entities such as ghosts and demons if they experienced fear. Even Hyperion was burned when Man-Thing was with the Thunderbolts.
    Last edited by Johnny Peril; 07-10-2016 at 11:10 PM.

That's perfectly fair. What amendment to his bio would you like to propose?

I do think the acidic secretion whenever emotionally provoked by the overwhelming sense of fear he senses from those near him is a factor, though it admittedly doesn't explain Man-Thing's ability to burn intangible entities.

Acid is listed on his Marvel wiki entry, same goes for the Man-Thing wikipedia page, and several other resources, as well.

But to what extent does this make up his burning touch? Perhaps the secretion is somehow interdimensionally permeable, which would, despite being highly speculative, make some sense, considering Man-Thing is also interdimensional?

As for his intelligence level, just about every incarnation of Man-Thing gives him a slightly different sense of his surroundings and past. I'd say somewhere deep down he has his memories and intellect, but I didn't add that part to the bio. He's even been shown speaking, etc., so I do think something should note that in the powers section.

Does this change suffice, or would you take it further? (I've bolded the added detail).

POWERS AND ABILITIES:
    Though originally a scientific genius, when Dr. Sallis morphed into the Man-Thing, he shed his intellect and memory, along with any inclination towards human interaction—though it has been shown possible for the creature to tap into his memories and, though rarely, his former personality, under certain circumstances. As the Man-Thing, he is now an immortal, inter-dimensional being. In addition to immortality and power drawn from the Nexus within his swamp, Man-Thing is also capable of sensing emotion over large distances, though he is very sensitive when it comes to empathy. It is said that "whoever or whatever knows fear will burn at the touch of Man-Thing", this is because of an interdimensionally permeable acidic secretion that pumps through his vegitative flesh which is produced whenever he comes in contact with someone (human or otherwise) who is scared, caused by an overstimulation of his empathetic abilities that thrusts his defense system into overdrive.

Thanks for bringing this up by the way, as it only helps all of us to better grasp and understand this fascinating character in even more detail!
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:

That's perfectly fair. What amendment to his bio would you like to propose?

I do think the acidic secretion whenever emotionally provoked by the overwhelming sense of fear he senses from those near him is a factor, though it admittedly doesn't explain Man-Thing's ability to burn intangible entities.

Acid is listed on his Marvel wiki entry, same goes for the Man-Thing wikipedia page, and several other resources, as well.

But to what extent does this make up his burning touch? Perhaps the secretion is somehow interdimensionally permeable, which would, despite being highly speculative, make some sense, considering Man-Thing is also interdimensional?

As for his intelligence level, just about every incarnation of Man-Thing gives him a slightly different sense of his surroundings and past. I'd say somewhere deep down he has his memories and intellect, but I didn't add that part to the bio. He's even been shown speaking, etc., so I do think something should note that in the powers section.

Does this change suffice, or would you take it further? (I've bolded the added detail).

Thanks for bringing this up by the way, as it only helps all of us to better grasp and understand this fascinating character in even more detail!
    I guess it depends upon who's writing the story how much intelligence Man-Thing has but It was shown back in Defenders #98 that Ted Sallis still exists and while Dr. Strange couldn't make him human again he could restore his consciousness but Ted declined.

As for the burning touch I always assumed it was mystical in nature similar to hellfire.

Man-Thing's second appearance was in Astonishing Tales featuring Ka-Zar #12 and #13. He goes out with style.
    Fun fact: The blonde lady is actually Bobbi Morse, chemist, pre Mockingbird.