Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

ALL NEW MAN-THING ONGOING FOR 2017.....WRITTEN BY R.L. STEIN OF GOOSEBUMPS FAME!!!

Marvel is thrilled to announce that legendary author R.L. Stine is coming to the publisher this March! As revealed today via The New York Times, the world renowned scribe of the Goosebumps & Fear Street novels will put his iconic stamp on one of Marvel’s most monstrous creations as he writes an all-new MAN-THING series – alongside artist German Peralta (Moon Knight, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.) and a bevy of comics rising stars!

“R.L. Stine in the Marvel Universe – that’s an event in and of itself,” says Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso. “And is there a Marvel character more perfectly suited to his sensibilities than the monstrous Man-Thing? Stine and artist German Peralta are spinning a tale full of action, horror, humor and heart – one that’s sure to please R.L. Stine fans, Man-Thing fans, and new fans.”
    Just when I was prepared to not worry about any more new Marvel ongoings(I passed on all the latest #1s) they trot out a personal often overlooked favorite of mine back into an ongoing!!

I feel I know the answer to my own question but will say it anyway. Are they going to ignore his run in the prior Thunderbolts run from 5-6yrs ago(like Howling Commandoes did) and not have Manny with the ability to speak. This title feels like a total regression, from scratch type book ignoring previous growth. It's a win/lose situation it seems but I'll be there!!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

BANNED

i wouldn't call it an ongoing yet the original article mentioned it as a limited series and I'm having a hard time believing R.L Stine Would Sign Up For An Ongoing Project with marvel

What "original article", that CBR quote of the official press release doesn't have wording that states 'limited series'. Where is a link to this original article?

BANNED

GREAT NEWS!

Extraordinary X-Man redrunner97's Avatar

This news gave me, dare I say it... Goosebumps! *duh duh duh duh-nuh-nun*
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:
    BLACK BOLT | CYCLOPS | SPIDER-MAN 2099 | WICCAN | MS. MARVEL

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:
    BATMAN | MIDNIGHTER | SWAMP THING | INFINITY MAN | NIGHTWING

SPIDER-MAN 2099 APPRECIATION THREAD | MAN-THING APPRECIATION THREAD

It's weird seeing Man-Thing drawn like that, as well as seeing him roar. From Old Man Logan #15.

"Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

Some more panels from Invincible Iron Man vol 1 annual #3.

BANNED

Man-Thing roaring is to me so wrong!
    I like the character as the strong silent type.

Anybody pick up the new Stine scripter Man-Thing? What did you all think?
    I found it cute, but not much more. Let's see where this goes. Still not sure about a talking Ted salis.

I enjoyed it. Perhaps a proper discussion thread might be in order. Some would go there before an Appreciation thread to talk about the latest monthly.

Not sure how I feel about Man-Thing being treated as a comedy. Seems like taking the easy way out (so far).

Incredible Member Chimeratengun's Avatar

First issue was great, my guess the "Other" Man-Thing that Ted is fighting is the one from S.T.A.K.E. since all it does is roar and attack without mercy like when he attacked Misty Knights friend which is VERY out of character of Teddy.

The second mini-story from Stine was meh, it could have been used for characters of the Manny history like; Kazar, Satana, Jennifer Kale fighting the Living Brain instead of we get a bad Twilight Zone story.

Extraordinary X-Man redrunner97's Avatar

I'll be reading Man-Thing next Wednesday when I grab some new comics. I'm gonna have a huge stack to blow though (yay)!
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:
    BLACK BOLT | CYCLOPS | SPIDER-MAN 2099 | WICCAN | MS. MARVEL

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:
    BATMAN | MIDNIGHTER | SWAMP THING | INFINITY MAN | NIGHTWING

SPIDER-MAN 2099 APPRECIATION THREAD | MAN-THING APPRECIATION THREAD

The issue was pretty enjoyable on its own, but ideally I'd prefer a more horror-oriented book.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

There’re several reasons I don’t read much of Marvel’s comics anymore.
    Now I’ve another: it seems when Marvel revives a character these days, they do so in appearance only, as if they forget that what makes a character worth reviving is not the character’s appearance, but why that character was created in the first place.

Nowadays Marvel rarely seems to ask its creators, What is this character for? What’s the purpose special to this one. Too often the purpose for bringing a character back seems only financial, or as copyright protection. Character updates at Marvel have been slick, superficial characterizations inside the sleeked skins of their previous selves, their original reasons for being, dissipated, forgotten:
    The Hulk, who mirrored our clumsy, dimwitted angry selves, the utterly misunderstood outcast. Now sleek hip Artemus Cho in greenskin.
    Dr. Strange, haunted by his own past selfish self, defending us in atonement, against forces not understood; now a snarky, ineffectual whiner.
    Howard the Duck, the everyone-aloner created specifically to vent against outrageous politics and sordid living conditions, and now— (Genuinely updating HTD would find him railing against the President, howling about deportation of the undocumented, perhaps even concerned about global warming.)

Which brings us to Manthing. Manthing was created to express and expose the emotion of humanity. The new, updated Manthing ironically is truest to the character in the cheap-shot horror film re-awakened Ted Sallis/Manthing finds himself undertaking; a shambling, rooty parody of a manthing.
    I don’t know if this was RL Stine’s conception, or one his was given to work with, but for a Goosebumps fan, this’s so disappointing I won’t be bothering with issue 2.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet