Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

I don't get what all the fuss is about. Bendis happened. He could not be bothered to build something more complex than "suddenly a new inhuman is found who can predict the future. He warns the avengers about Thanos and they manage to defeat him but war machine dies and (probably) She-Hulk does too because she's hit by one of WM rockets (...). Tony is furious about his friend death and Carol is distraught by it. Tony decideds to oppose this sort of pre emptive justice and Carol decides to uphold it".

Simplistic, careless, uncaring about characters and continuity (kudos to those who noticed how the mandatory eating contest had 2 ex alcoholics drinking, of course Bendis couldn't be asked to know something THAT OBSCURE about these characters... right?)
    In one word BENDIS!

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    I don't get what all the fuss is about. Bendis happened. He could not be bothered to build something more complex than "suddenly a new inhuman is found who can predict the future. He warns the avengers about Thanos and they manage to defeat him but war machine dies and (probably) She-Hulk does too because she's hit by one of WM rockets (...). Tony is furious about his friend death and Carol is distraught by it. Tony decideds to oppose this sort of pre emptive justice and Carol decides to uphold it".

Simplistic, careless, uncaring about characters and continuity (kudos to those who noticed how the mandatory eating contest had 2 ex alcoholics drinking, of course Bendis couldn't be asked to know something THAT OBSCURE about these characters... right?)
    In one word BENDIS!
    No one should be shocked they he can't get the drinking issues right when he can't even get how tough she-hulk is.

Spectacular Member

had 2 ex alcoholics drinking, of course Bendis couldn't be asked to know something THAT OBSCURE about these characters... right?
    It's just champagne. Neither one was doing shots.
    Hank Pym: You're taking over? Come on, give me one good reason why—
    Iron Man: Three words. You're. Hank. Pym.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    And that's what people seem to fail to grasp. The biggest issue is Coates was warning them about this, he knew it was going to cause problems, he knew Rhodes being the sacrificial lamb was not a good choice with the momentum they've been gathering so far, and they tossed that all to the side. That's why I'd hate to be in Coates shoes, because he knew this was going to be a trainwreck, tried to stop it, but no one listened.
    The fact that some fans are pissed doesn't make it a "trainwreck." That's an every week thing in comics. People always want to be outraged by something.

Quote Originally Posted by bishop88 View Post
    huge marvel guy and been a huge bendis fan even before his marvel days and this was easily the worst written bendis book ive ever read and might be one of the worst marvel comics ive read in 10 years. Where to even begin...i know theres a bunch of inhuman fans on these boards but really is that a way you want to start a event having these awful inhuman charcters on page one . Ive been saying it for 2 years now the inhumans have zero buzz ,sell like garbage and honestly i ask on this forum has any comic shop owner like myself ever had one customer come in and ask for an inhuman comic no chance. You tell me you couldnt have used destiny, blindfold or cable in the same spot as this ridiculous ulyses character. Other issues does bendis not know about all the magic upheavel going on yet no mention dr strange acted like everything was fine casting spells. And thanos really thats the best bad guy they could come with AGAIN I bet everybody wished teen jean just fried ulysses brain . AS for the casualties in the book ugh..not even halfway believable. I really hope and pray magneto and iron man slaughter as many . M inhuman charatcers as possilble. My store i work at is mainly a marvel store but today we easily sold 12 copies of batman rebirth at 2.99 for every 1 issue of civil war at 5.99. Im anxiously awaiting feedback from some of my regulras about what they thought because i would say well over 75 percent werer already dissappointed with the 0 issue.
    One of the worst Marvel comics in ten years? Oh, God...that's not too over-dramatic, right?

Well, where to begin with these criticisms?

1) Whether the Inhumans are hot, not hot, whatever, they're part of the MU so including them in this event shouldn't even raise an eyebrow.
    2) While the MU has other pre-cogs, let's remember that we don't know the rest of the story yet and there is likely a story-related reason while an established pre-cog was not used to fill Ulysses' role. Also, what exactly is so "ridiculous" about this character that WE JUST MET?
    3) As for magic working in this issue, here's a thought...CWII takes place after the events in Dr. Strange's book. I'm sure by the end of that storyline magic will be restored in the MU.
    4) You're complaining about Thanos? If you need to have a heavy hitter in a comic, one that needs little or no introduction as a foe that could take down a number of heroes with ease, Thanos is one of the top choices in that category.

In one word BENDIS!
    To be fair, we don't know what they're drinking. I'd be willing to bet that Bendis is well aware that both Tony and Carol have drinking problems.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 06-01-2016 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermutant2099 View Post
    No one should be shocked they he can't get the drinking issues right when he can't even get how tough she-hulk is.
    ACTUALLY, Bendis already confirmed that Tony and Carol didn't drink alcohol on his Tumblr.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    Its still giving alcohol to two characters with serious alcoholic issues.

Here's the thing about being a recovering alcoholic: You're never supposed to drink again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajikaru View Post
    They can easily bring Rhodny back to life after this if they really thought about it. Remember after the first Civil War, he had a cyborg body that 'died'? His conscious was uploaded into a clone body that had neural implants or something? Any writer wrote two bits can fix this mess by saying that WM took steps ahead to have several more of those clone bodies on cold storage and back ups of his persona on file that he regularly backed up thanks to his tone as the Iron Patriot.

They could have at least revived Bill Foster before killing off another Black character for CW2. Sam Wilson better watch his back for CW3....
    no way to do this without it being a spoiler...Contest of Champions came out this week.

Astonishing Member

The important thing to remember about the barrage of mega events Marvel's done over the past decade is that aside from Secret Wars (as a Fantastic Four farewell), they're Avengers centric.

Captain America and Iron Man hold the top spots there. However, if you're going to do the whole Captain Hydra nonsense, Steve can't be the lead figure again. For almost as long as Marvel's been doing these mega events, they've been attempting to elevate Captain Marvel to Wonder Woman status. This is the perfect opportunity to toss her into the forefront of an event like this, particularly with the success Captain America enjoyed from the event. It also prevents the two white cis males argument. Danvers has lead and co-lead Avengers teams in the past. Miles Morales has not. He's a novice in terms of stature and respect within this universe. Jane Foster is a new hero. Bruce Banner isn't exactly the world's leading expert on responsibility and Amadeus Cho doesn't have the weight to carry this event.

Iron Man would be in Carol's shoes if Miles was the lead, but here's the problem? Tony's current position clearly is the wrong one. There's nothing in this book about tossing someone in jail who might rob a bank. It's stopping someone on the level of Thanos. That's about the greenest light a superhero could possibly get.
    And there's lies one of the biggest issue, that "epic events" are usually avengers focused which means the most important characters are almost always caucasian. Now do you have new grounds in terms of Carol being a new lead, that is true as a woman hasn't been upgraded to mega event status so far in Marvel's side of the spectrum. But the fact that it has to be an avengers lead is easily one of the most damaging viewpoints as to how we fall into issue. Because that means the main character of the mega event is almost always going to caucasian, instead of bringing someone new that's could use it such as Miles Morales. Plus you have the added fact that avengers good friends are many times a minority or women. So what, if Banner gets focused on the next book, Amadeus Cho has to die? Iron Man has already been the lead of numerous events, Miles has not.

Secondly, no one is saying Miles has to be fully in the right. In fact, by him being a novice, it would fit Tony's roll much easier than Tony himself. He's innocent, naive, and green to the world, so him believing in not using precognition would definitely match him much more realistically than someone whose bit through everything under the sun like Tony.

Being considerate and sensitive about black males being used as sacrificial lambs doesn't exclude them from being used under any circumstances. There's literally no other character that would have joined that mission who could get that reaction out of Stark. Pepper Potts had a non-combat suit. She doesn't have the training to even consider joining a mission like this nor would it be a responsible to include her. Furthermore, the incident shoveled further guilt onto Stark because he had his best friend running around town with a bootleg Mr. Potato Head version of an Iron Man suit from the 1980's.
    There's no other choice because Marvel made it no other choice, not like it had to be this way. Everything about Rhodes could be replaced by a different character that became close with Tony if Marvel wanted to do that. They could have easily created a new character to fit that role, or use another character and place that character in Rhodes spot. I mean they have Mary Jane as Iron Man supporting cast instead of Spider Man, you're telling me they couldn't have created a new character or used someone and write him in years in advance to fit in Rhodes role? Of course they had tons of choices to choose. They could have actually written Rhodes and Carol relationship to be meaningful instead of a cast away relationship just to create drama in Civil War. They could have created a new character a few years back knowing this was going to be their end goal (Preferably someone non minority or female, seeing as Rhodes is now a black in refrigerator approach). No they choose to make this route, even Coates tried to warn them about heading down this road.

BANNED

I wouldn't be surprised if this move had put a damper on Coates relationship with Marvel. Being black, there's an extra sting when seeing this that many others just can't grasp. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually he starts writing his own creator owned comics after being exposed to this. I know I would.
    No, I don't think Coates is that silly of a person. He already knows what happens in the story and has known for months so it's not as though he's going to be blindsided when this issue comes out.

And, honestly, I don't see Rhodey staying dead. Maybe for the duration of CWII but I'll be shocked if there isn't a return for him in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    ACTUALLY, Bendis already confirmed that Tony and Carol didn't drink alcohol on his Tumblr.
    I see that but he shouldn't be going to tumblr to do it. Its not a good sign for a book that you have to come out after "No no its just soda"

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    The fact that some fans are pissed doesn't make it a "trainwreck." That's an every week thing in comics. People always want to be outraged by something.
    No the fact the issue is as badly written. The fact that they are using two fan favorite characters deaths just as pawns for a idiot crossover. The fact that he had go tumblr to say "No its soda" for tony and carol.
    Last edited by Supermutant2099; 06-01-2016 at 03:46 PM.

Astonishing Member

Eh, that depends upon a few issues.

1) How this results affects Coates relationship with Marvel, as seeing a common despised trope being used once again could definitely put him off from wanting to write for Marvel in the future.

2) How many black readers are currently reading marvel, as we most likely would have the strongest reaction towards this trope being used again, and such could affect purchases in the future.

I will say that I constantly see backlash in regards to sales, viewership, etc when minority consideration is not be addressed.

BANNED

There's no other choice because Marvel made it no other choice, not like it had to be this way. Everything about Rhodes could be replaced by a different character that became close with Tony if Marvel wanted to do that. They could have easily created a new character to fit that role, or use another character and place that character in Rhodes spot. I mean they have Mary Jane as Iron Man supporting cast instead of Spider Man, you're telling me they couldn't have created a new character or used someone and write him in years in advance to fit in Rhodes role? Of course they had tons of choices to choose. They could have actually written Rhodes and Carol relationship to be meaningful instead of a cast away relationship just to create drama in Civil War. They could have created a new character a few years back knowing this was going to be their end goal (Preferably someone non minority or female, seeing as Rhodes is now a black in refrigerator approach). No they choose to make this route, even Coates tried to warn them about heading down this road.
    "Everything about Rhodes could be replaced by a different character that became close with Tony if Marvel wanted to do that"

Well, for one that statement totally devalues Rhodey and makes it seem that he's easily replaceable. You're, in fact, saying that exact thing. Not the best argument to make on behalf of keeping him alive, I have to say. Also, you think it would have been more respectful to Rhodey for Marvel to basically shove Rhodey aside while they created a new character to become Tony's best friend? Because that's what Rhodey is so if you're going to make a new character who can be everything that Rhodey is, you're making this character Tony's new best bud. Again, not very respectful to Rhodey and, again, you're only making Rhodey seem very expendable and replaceable. And you think that Marvel should have done all this just so they could kill off that character off in this issue? And you think they should've been setting up this character years in advance just for this purpose? Years spent making Rhodey less of Tony's main buddy just so you can keep him alive and kill off the character that you made out to be just as, if not more, important than Rhodey. Really?

I have to tell you - these are not very good suggestions.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 06-01-2016 at 03:56 PM.

Astonishing Member

No, I don't think Coates is that silly of a person. He already knows what happens in the story and has known for months so it's not as though he's going to be blindsided when this issue comes out.

And, honestly, I don't see Rhodey staying dead. Maybe for the duration of CWII but I'll be shocked if there isn't a return for him in the future.
    Oh it's nothing silly about it, when you present a possible problem, and they don't listen to your advice, there's a good chance you can take your talents elsewhere. Especially when you're speaking about matters that are important, being the only black person in the summit and yet no one listen to your experience as a black male. Remember, this is award winning author who puts the sales charts on fire. He surely doesn't need marvel, he can definitely do things on his own.

Also remember that black panther writing issues are always written in advance, so while he was aware of what was going to happen (somewhat because he written to warn then, that doesn't mean he knew what the outcome was going to be) he also was writing his issues in advance. But we will see, who knows what the future holds.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    That would be a decent ending for the event, it would even better that whatever crappy ending Bendis had in mind for this crap.
    I hate retroactive, fobbed off endings like that. You feel you've wasted your money with things like the first Secret War, and Heroes Reborn. Let it happen as a reality, so people have to think about these things, not toss it in a waste basket after, like it never happened. If this ends up that precogs have a lot more use in the MU then job done.