Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Moon Knight #3 Spoilers Welcome to New Egypt

Sail sands here only ye unafraid of spoils, madness, and monsters.

This felt like a transitional issue in the arc with Marc leading his friends through the monsters and the dark caves to the next big part of the story but it also established a few important ideas. It leaves me feeling the next two issues could be jam packed though as well.

Is Bellarie using oils for the coloring? The first few panels had me wondering how she was getting this blend / look on page. Smooth, sleek, then almost textured. Particularly in the mummy horde panel and then Ammut's appearances. Smallwood's art was good as always but this week, it's just that I thought the colorist made it special.

Lemire did a good job of keeping the mystery of everyone's sanity alive by making us question what is real as many of the characters were seeing one of two possible realities. But more clues are pointing toward the invasion being real and by the end we kind of know. Kind of...

You alone must be a light against the infinite dark. Your madness is your gift. You need to stop fighting it and give in to it. Let your madness show you the way.

A few choice lines. I am not sure what to think in that I am not used to seeing insanity portrayed as a good thing or a character labeled as such considered competent. It's an interesting concept to play with. What does this conversation with khonshu mean? I am also worried. We lost Crawley. Will we loose Marlene next issue based on the cover and her dissolving away into sand? Is a portion of this arc an attempt at a good send off for the old supporting cast?

Bit and Pieces:

I think Marc took the idea of giving some one else a dose of their own medicine to a good place.

I kind of felt Marc should have flipped the orderlies / creatures a bird rather than just waved as the raft pulled away.

Nothing says cool like a big pyramid in the middle of NYC and sand flooding the streets. Or a mummy horde in the sub way...

I am starting to like the Othervoid as a place to explore and opportunity for stories unique to the Moon Knight comic. You too?

So what did all of you think about this issue? Comments, share, etc.. There are not a lot of us MK fans yet. Lets keep the spirit alive.
    Last edited by Inhuman X; 06-01-2016 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Make fun of my writing and I'll show you insane ;) And yes I changed a He to a She as I didn't know.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Haven't been a MK fan in many, many, many moons, but I'm starting to enjoy this.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Spectacular Member

Definitely a trippy read

Mighty Member

What makes me most curious about all of this is Crawley. If we're assuming under these circumstances that Moon Knight IS crazier than ever, then there's something to be said of Crawley being the exact same kind of crazy. Plus, him going with Anubis is seems like he's either being set up for a rescue or as a rival. Crawley is too old, drugged out, and has shown no signs of particular physical strength or threatening levels of intelligence to be a threat to Marc, but he could wind up being a profile-esque manipulator. Hell, it is even possible that Anubis is more forthcoming with his gifts than Khonshu. Course, maybe he's just dead.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Politely, the colorist is a woman. Thank you for the spoilers.

I am not sure how to feel about this run as Othervoid feels so ancient alien to me and that's absolute anathema in my particular entertainment. Perhaps I'll pick up this up next week, but between Slaine's story being nowhere near as great as the art and the potential for ancient aliens in this...well
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    What makes me most curious about all of this is Crawley. If we're assuming under these circumstances that Moon Knight IS crazier than ever, then there's something to be said of Crawley being the exact same kind of crazy. Plus, him going with Anubis is seems like he's either being set up for a rescue or as a rival. Crawley is too old, drugged out, and has shown no signs of particular physical strength or threatening levels of intelligence to be a threat to Marc, but he could wind up being a profile-esque manipulator. Hell, it is even possible that Anubis is more forthcoming with his gifts than Khonshu. Course, maybe he's just dead.
    Now that you mention it, I had looked at Crawley's sacrifice as a removal rather than a potential future hook. If he becomes Anubis's mortal child or pawn for interacting with the human world as Marc is to Khonshu... I could almost see him as a cab driver taking people between the mortal realm and places strange like the Othervoid for a price in future issues. Such a potential role might explain why both he and Marc see the same things while Gina doesn't for example. It's hard for me to see him as a straight up adversary but a good writer can make anything happen.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

Mighty Member

That's why I used the word rival instead of enemy, foe, nemesis, etc. I was thinking in a pokemon sort of way.
    He'd be working for a different team, but that doesn't mean he'd be particularly against Marc.

BANNED

Great issue, im really enjoying this series.

I think that the insanity konshu is talking about refers to the fact that marc can see other this other world, that he needs to embrace this and stop doubting himself. Dont think he meant it as a mental disorder.
    MK fans know that he is at his best when he stops questioning himself, and this is the core of what the message was trying to convey. It doesnt matter, stop doubting yourself, stop second guessing yourself and you will always find the way.

Crawley wont be an enemy, if anything anubis and konshu have an enemy in common in seth. So im expecting to see a powerful ally to marc in Crawley.
    Last edited by Lhynn; 06-01-2016 at 02:24 PM.

Issue 4 will hit shelves both digital and physical on July 6th. The description states: Moon Knight (2016-) #4 - "NOT IN BLOOD, BUT IN SAND." MARC SPECTOR and his fellow asylum patients — FRENCHIE, GENA and MARLENE — finally reach street level. But Marc doesn't see streets. He sees New York City sinking in the sands of NEO-EGYPT! How much of himself — and how many more friends — will Marc lose before he reaches his true enemy?

I am not sure how I would feel if Marlene goes the way of ghosts.

BANNED

Good riddance i say. Marlene went from being a good support character to nagging 24/7 and i dont want those days back. Spector needs to get out more.
    Tho i very much doubt he lost crawley forever, so im guessing its going to be the same for marlene.

So far the story aims at a supernatural crisis on new york, should prove interesting.

Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

So, I was a fan of Moon Knight back in the 90s. I didn't like the triple personality thing with Cap, Wolvie, and Spidey and I also didn't like when he wore the business suit in the previous series. So far this series we've only seen him in the business suit. Is he ever going to go back to wearing the super hero uniform that's on the cover of issue 4?

I get the sense people like the business suit or, don't even need Marc in uniform at all, since I think the last few series have been well-received by fans. So, yea, talk to me, am I ever getting my caped MK back? =\
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

Mighty Member

Shouldn't have written off the last volume, less you'd know that he uses three suits. One for his more classic adventures (business), one for more superhero/sci-fi adventures (the caped crusader), and one for mystical adventures (composed of bones). The latter one, I'm afraid, we probably won't see again. It just didn't seem that popular, as even when Moon Knight had to deal with supernatural incidences he usually preferred the first two. The business suit has on numerous occasions had the superhero one underneath it, so he will often start as one and end up as the other. They're actually used about equally, although ultimately when and how they're used is writer's preference.
    Last edited by scribbleMind; 06-02-2016 at 12:10 AM.

Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

It just doesn't make sense to me. Suits like that are just about the least comfortable clothing I ever wear; why would someone choose to wear it for super heroing?

I read a few issues of the previous run -- never saw the bone suit. Hopefully you can't blame me for not spending time/money on something I wasn't enjoying =)

So if you had to guess what the ratio will be between caped/business going forward, what do you expect? 50/50? 10/90? *shrug*
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

Mighty Member

I'm feeling 60/40-ish, not including cameos as those seem to lean toward the cape and cowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lhynn View Post
    Good riddance i say. Marlene went from being a good support character to nagging 24/7 and i dont want those days back. Spector needs to get out more.
    Tho i very much doubt he lost crawley forever, so im guessing its going to be the same for marlene.

So far the story aims at a supernatural crisis on new york, should prove interesting.
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Marlene...ne_(Earth-616)

As of this month, Marlene is having her forty year anniversary. (MK will be 41 in August.) She is a character with roots in his origin and was intrinsic back in the early days. Through the years, she has been an effective ally operating as a spy and potential back up when he was in trouble until a certain group of writers decided crazy with nagging girlfriend was better somehow. Abilities: Marlene is an excellent hand-to-hand combatant, a skilled sharpshooter, talented gymnast and a trained hypnotist. Marlene sometimes carried a .44 magnum pistol.

It just seems to me that she could have been updated through the years, maybe a bit of crazy in her too, to fit the stories but its like people kept forgetting the supporting cast as they went new directions with Marc and we end up with a new start that is fridging them all in some way. It is what it is. Maybe it's just an update excuse for them but they do give the vibe that these people are lost to him now. For me it's like what if they tried to kill Lois Lane for good in another title. It could be good or bad and I'll wonder if something else might have worked better until I see what happens.

I understand that the character really needs an update to his rogues gallery and cast of friends to get some good stories cracking out again. No character is an island. I just think back through the years and feel a bit mournful at the way things went.

Edit: Check the Marvel wikia for Marlene Alraune Skimlinks is going here now. Money in the way of info...

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWithoutFear View Post
    So, I was a fan of Moon Knight back in the 90s. I didn't like the triple personality thing with Cap, Wolvie, and Spidey and I also didn't like when he wore the business suit in the previous series. So far this series we've only seen him in the business suit. Is he ever going to go back to wearing the super hero uniform that's on the cover of issue 4? I get the sense people like the business suit or, don't even need Marc in uniform at all, since I think the last few series have been well-received by fans. So, yea, talk to me, am I ever getting my caped MK back? =\
    I had wondered if the white business suit is like those made for security professionals and business execs traveling bad places. They are made out of ballistic weaves and armored pads and supposedly fit like military fatigues in spite of the looks. Not cheap. I actually would like to see him with the business suit for off mission meetings and the cape and cowl with a half armor update for the action and magic. That would be two suits with clear uses rather than three.

I didn't like the multiple personality of the month either. I can get behind the crazy but I would prefer one Marc that has schizophrenic like visions pointing him toward weird crimes and strange things from the other worlds to deal with rather than the way things have been. To each their own.
    Last edited by Inhuman X; 06-02-2016 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Skimlinks is generating a need for murder (not literally)