View Poll Results: Do you Think New 52 Superman will Return?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • Almost Certain He'll come back

41 25.63%
  • Probably Will come back

24 15.00%
  • No Idea at this Point

46 28.75%
  • Probably Won't Come Back

28 17.50%
  • Almost Certain He'll stay dead

21 13.13%
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I still believe like 2 months ago that they're just making a Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen (or "Supers" as they call them now) redux in the New52 style.
    They just chose the wrong way to do it, alienating new52 fans and those who wants a less confusing continuity for Superman.

Just wait and see... in 2017, our Supes will return with a new shiny costume with proper red boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I still believe like 2 months ago that they're just making a Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen (or "Supers" as they call them now) redux in the New52 style.
    They just chose the wrong way to do it, alienating new52 fans and those who wants a less confusing continuity for Superman.

Just wait and see... in 2017, our Supes will return with a new shiny costume with proper red boots.
    What kind of a reaction would be from people if he returned (aside from a kickass black costume) and used a more red-in-certain places costume; or dare I say it, spoilers:
    with red trunks
    end of spoilers?

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A Guy's Name View Post
    What kind of a reaction would be from people if he returned (aside from a kickass black costume) and used a more red-in-certain places costume; or dare I say it, spoilers:
    with red trunks
    end of spoilers?
    Nah, I think that if they resume that look, it will the pre-FP Superman to wear it, especially if he'll join the old fashioned JSA.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

No, he's not coming back...that bridge has been burned...

Yes there are strands left dangling but they are part of the platform for telling a continuing story going forward...you will not get the answers you want from this if you want a return of Nuperman...

In other words the convoluted situation we have is not going to be resolved, it IS the story...

The only chance of a Nuperman return, probably in any form is dependent on whether DC feel they need to retcon or reboot Superman yet again....depending on which way the wind blows via online petition, or more pertinently comic book sales...

Jon

These results are more divisive than I thought they'd be.

BANNED

Before the Rebirth reveals, I was 99.9% sure that New 52 Superman was going to return eventually, unless Post-Crisis Superman became a massive hit.

Now I'm leaning towards 70%.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    These results are more divisive than I thought they'd be.
    A lot of it at this point is based on desire I think, since the info we have right now is sparse. Superdad fans want him to be the only show in town, don't want New 52 Superman to return, so have convinced themselves he won't. New 52 Superman fans want him back by any means necessary so have convinced themselves he will.

The reality is its a toss-up right now. With possible hints toward an eventual return already on the printed page, but not a guarantee of anything yet.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I went with "probably will come back", though I'll put an * on that one. I'm thinking they'll end up merging the two Supermen, like many here have suggested. Likely the Pre-52 Superman will end up absorbing all that energy from Nu52 Superman, thus gaining his memories. So he'll come back in some form, but probably not as a separate Superman again. Who knows though. It's all too early to tell anything for certain.

I think it's simple storytelling logic, honestly. What is to be gained, dramatically, from having two similar Supermen operating on the same Earth? With multiple Flashes you have different personality, appearance and history, and they're different people with different identities. The same is true of the Green Lanterns. What do we gain from two Supermen who both were raised as Clark Kent, who both grew up in Smallville and moved to Metropolis? I just don't see it. Once they decided to replace New 52 with post-Crisis Superman, they killed off New 52 rather quickly. They didn't have to do that if they were going to keep both. And Superman Rebirth #1 makes it clear that the circumstances that produced Superman's resurrection after Doomsday killed him are not present in this reality, seemingly driving home the point that history is not likely to repeat itself.

Add to that the fact that the new Superboy is Superman's son, and that ties the two characters together. I doubt we'll have one without the other. Batman having a son has shown that the concept can work without damaging the character, so it can work for Superman as well.

Now it could be a head-fake, and they could still decide to undo the death of New 52. But I'm not seeing any sign that they plan to do that. New 52 Lois Lane, and the Chinese character they're introducing seem to have inherited his legacy, and will be motivated by his life, so he's not forgotten. His life did have an impact. I think for the foreseeable future, that's what the character will be used for, and we won't see him back as the main Superman. I think if they were going to keep him, they'd have done that and skipped his death.

Now watch them turn around and prove me wrong in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    I went with "probably will come back", though I'll put an * on that one. I'm thinking they'll end up merging the two Supermen, like many here have suggested. Likely the Pre-52 Superman will end up absorbing all that energy from Nu52 Superman, thus gaining his memories. So he'll come back in some form, but probably not as a separate Superman again. Who knows though. It's all too early to tell anything for certain.
    If that happens I want a love triangle with Diana and Lois. lol Then Superdad divorces Lois and proposes to Diana. Lil Jon grows resenting his father for leaving him and Diana for destroying his perfect family. The young and the restless: Metropolis
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

At this point, I think this is the only thing they can do. They've sort of closed the door to anything else. I don't think there is a long term master plan right now. I think they are just playing it by ear and seeing how it goes. The impression I got from Rebirth is that they are slowly going to merge the pre-and post-Flashpoint Earths and we'll get some combination of both. Even if he does come back, I'm not sure I will. I'm sick of getting jerked around.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    If that happens I want a love triangle with Diana and Lois. lol Then Superdad divorces Lois and proposes to Diana. Lil Jon grows resenting his father for leaving him and Diana for destroying his perfect family. The young and the restless: Metropolis
    It may sell a lot more books if Superman, Lois and Wonder Woman all stay together

It may sell a lot more books if Superman, Lois and Wonder Woman all stay together
    Big love with capes lol
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    spoilers:
    The fact that pre-Flashpoint Superman was said to be an exact genetic duplicate of THE NEW 52 Superman in the Rebirth special tells me they're going to probably go with a merger-type scenario where somehow pre-FP Superman is N52 Superman, and it will be explained accordingly.
    end of spoilers
    If that were the case, spoilers:
    The Fortress would have recognized him as Kal-El. Instead, he was acknowledged as a "Kryptonian".
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    At this point, I think this is the only thing they can do. They've sort of closed the door to anything else. I don't think there is a long term master plan right now. I think they are just playing it by ear and seeing how it goes. The impression I got from Rebirth is that they are slowly going to merge the pre-and post-Flashpoint Earths and we'll get some combination of both. Even if he does come back, I'm not sure I will. I'm sick of getting jerked around.
    Completely agree with this. I do hope DC doesn't take a full 2 years to jerk us around on who/what the real Superman is.

I would say the biggest problem with the Superman line of comics is that it has been directionless. They come up with really interesting concepts and stories, but don't ever seem to plan an ending for them.