Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Supergirl's Superman problem

For some odd reason, WB has an embargo on characters that are in movies being used on TV. So Supergirl, a show where Superman is openly recognized and is, to some degree, a main character, isn't allowed to show his face on camera. But he does "appear" as a shadowed figure or his hands or feet or something does make an appearance. They can show parts of Superman but not his whole face or even his costume (I'd kinda like to know if this version has an "S" like Supergirl does!). This doesn't make any sense to me. I don't think anyone will mistake this version for the movie version. Smallville is another example of a TV version of Superman that bent the rules by not calling him Superman. Gotham has a Bruce Wayne but no Batman.

Speaking of Smallville, they wanted to use Bruce Wayne but were told they couldn't because he had movies in the works. Meanwhile there were how many Batman cartoons on the air during that time? This doesn't just refer to Supergirl either. We recently found out that Arrow had to drop their version of the Suicide Squad because of the movie. Despite having obviously different versions of the characters. WB's system doesn't make a lot of sense. How far does this rule extend? What parts of Superman are allowed to be shown and what parts aren't? Can we hear his voice? I guess not since he's never said anything.

I think it's time for WB to drop their embargo on movie characters. Especially since they don't really enforce it very well anyway. There doesn't appear to be a consistent rule and a whole slew of loopholes that can be exploited. Besides, with a Justice League movie supposedly in the works, they have already broke it with the Flash TV show.
    Last edited by superduperman; 06-01-2016 at 08:24 PM.

Incredible Member

There was an interview awhile back where they said the embargo was lifted (I think by Geoff Johns) early on but that they felt like casting Superman was too much pressure and wanted to hold out for the right actor.

I think Matt Bomer would be the right pick. He was passed on for live action movies a couple of times but played Superman in voiceover and a Japanese commercial. In a lot of ways, I see him as the kind of Superman you'd expect for the show.

I think a big problem, however, is that having two people with those powers would tax the budget. I could only see Clark joining the cast with some kind of gimmick that de-powers him (and then do occasional episodes where his powers return but Kara loses hers or something).

If that's true that would be wonderful! And I don't expect him to turn up in every episode. It wouldn't be her show if he did. But this weird rule about "we can show his hands and feet but not his face" is kind of an odd one.

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Not only that, but his "appearance" in the Supergirl season finale was handled pretty poorly, IMO. I've been thinking about that for a while, and if they're going to recognize Superman's existence in the TVU, they should go ahead and cast him. It would be awesome if he had an actual role to play in this fall's megacrossover event.

And yes, Matt Bomer would be an excellent choice. There was an issue of Sensation Comics where Superman was drawn just like him and it was uncanny how well he fits the role!

Incredible Member

googling intensifies

Matt Bomer is it!

I've been watching the first season and I have to say that Supergirl doesn't have a Superman problem but a Kryptonian one.
    The should have left Krypton out of the equation until the 3rd or 4th season at least.
    The first season should have been more intimate and more character driven. That way they wouldn't need Superman's boots showing up all the time
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

If I were the one doing it, I would have had him disappear in space in the first episode and she takes over for him. That way he's out of the picture early on and none of this would be an issue. And we're left with the question of whether or not he's coming back and how long she's his surrogate.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    If I were the one doing it, I would have had him disappear in space in the first episode and she takes over for him. That way he's out of the picture early on and none of this would be an issue. And we're left with the question of whether or not he's coming back and how long she's his surrogate.
    it's a good option, because only chats online is kinda of awful. it's not like the chracters can't fly or have superspeedy. and we see only feet or him far away doesn't help.

matt bomer is a good option, or they can go with tom welling. But I don't know if Tom still cold to use the superman suit.

Incredible Member

I enjoy the show, but like most of these DC TV shows, it's too...TV for me to bothered about stuff like this.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

The "embargo" exists so that the characters don't get watered down. Batman makes tons of cash for WB so having him be some dude in a KMART Halloween costume on the CW could potentially harm the IP. It makes sense. The Flash NEEDS the exposure, hence a show and a film. I'd argue Superman does too.

That said, a Superman show is long overdue. A real one. Just put it on AMC or do a mini on HBO.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    The "embargo" exists so that the characters don't get watered down. Batman makes tons of cash for WB so having him be some dude in a KMART Halloween costume on the CW could potentially harm the IP. It makes sense. The Flash NEEDS the exposure, hence a show and a film. I'd argue Superman does too.

That said, a Superman show is long overdue. A real one. Just put it on AMC or do a mini on HBO.
    I don't think it's a matter of "watering down," DC just has a thing about alternate versions of other characters appearing in different media.

Were they worried JLU would "water down" Aquaman and his cast, which is why there was an embargo when they were doing that Aquaman live-action pilot all those years ago? Or the Bat-Embargo?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think it's a matter of "watering down," DC just has a thing about alternate versions of other characters appearing in different media.

Were they worried JLU would "water down" Aquaman and his cast, which is why there was an embargo when they were doing that Aquaman live-action pilot all those years ago? Or the Bat-Embargo?
    Aquaman did show up on JLU. There was no embargo, they just didn't feature him. Martian Manhunter got his spot in JL.

They just don't want to dilute the brand with their big sellers (Batman, Superman) and potential big sellers (Wonder Woman). It makes sense to keep cinematic characters like that away from the CW, but I don't think it's the best thing beyond that. Like I said I'd love to see a Superman show on a channel like AMC or HBO.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Aquaman did show up on JLU. There was no embargo, they just didn't feature him. Martian Manhunter got his spot in JL.

They just don't want to dilute the brand with their big sellers (Batman, Superman) and potential big sellers (Wonder Woman). It makes sense to keep cinematic characters like that away from the CW, but I don't think it's the best thing beyond that. Like I said I'd love to see a Superman show on a channel like AMC or HBO.
    There was an Aquaman embargo. It's why he was completely absent in season 3 of JLU and they had to create a Black Manta stand-in called Devil Ray.

Having alternate live-action versions of certain characters like the Suicide Squad or a Superman on Supergirl won't dilute or hurt their brand much, in my opinion. I think Superman make occasional appearances on Supergirl would be great .
    Last edited by Frontier; 06-02-2016 at 08:14 PM.

Retired

With SUPERGIRL, I see it the other way around. If they include Superman then he will soon overshadow her and it could become the Superman show in all but name. They need to keep Superman and Superman baggage out of the show, to let Supergirl stand on her own as a character.

I don't think it would dilute Superman or that he's in danger of being overexposed. Superman probably needs to be more exposed, because the public has forgot why they should love Superman. I think that was one of the problems that BATMAN V SUPERMAN was up against. Superman isn't a big draw like he used to be, because the general audience has lost contact with the character.

I find Supergirl/Kara very sympathetic. There's something about Melissa Benoist that is infectious. I know comic book fanboys like to be all unsentimental and nihilistic and so sugary sentiment is like Kryptonite to them. But many other people want something they can watch with their family and something that encourages a reasonable level of morality.

The SUPERGIRL show doesn't really fit with the continuity of MAN OF STEEL and BVS, but I think they should have incorporated the Death of Superman into the show. That would explain quite clearly why we shouldn't expect the Man of Steel to show up. And it would give the series one more plot line to follow--how Supergirl must carry on the responsibility of her legendary cousin in his absence.

The other alternative in season 2 is to have Kara trapped on Earth-One and unable to return to her home Earth where Superman exists.

It'll be interesting to see what the CW does to bridge the gap between the two worlds. If the two realities merge--as seems possible--then that puts Superman on the same Earth as the Flash, Green Arrow and all the Legends. I think that would cramp their style even more than the presence of Clark in Kara's life. Especially since the embargo prevents the Man of Steel from playing an active role on those shows.

I don't like other embargos--like what happened with Suicide Squad--but I can see why Superman needs to be kept out of these TV shows. He would just get in the way.