Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Supergirl's Superman problem

For some odd reason, WB has an embargo on characters that are in movies being used on TV. So Supergirl, a show where Superman is openly recognized and is, to some degree, a main character, isn't allowed to show his face on camera. But he does "appear" as a shadowed figure or his hands or feet or something does make an appearance. They can show parts of Superman but not his whole face or even his costume (I'd kinda like to know if this version has an "S" like Supergirl does!). This doesn't make any sense to me. I don't think anyone will mistake this version for the movie version. Smallville is another example of a TV version of Superman that bent the rules by not calling him Superman. Gotham has a Bruce Wayne but no Batman.

Speaking of Smallville, they wanted to use Bruce Wayne but were told they couldn't because he had movies in the works. Meanwhile there were how many Batman cartoons on the air during that time? This doesn't just refer to Supergirl either. We recently found out that Arrow had to drop their version of the Suicide Squad because of the movie. Despite having obviously different versions of the characters. WB's system doesn't make a lot of sense. How far does this rule extend? What parts of Superman are allowed to be shown and what parts aren't? Can we hear his voice? I guess not since he's never said anything.

I think it's time for WB to drop their embargo on movie characters. Especially since they don't really enforce it very well anyway. There doesn't appear to be a consistent rule and a whole slew of loopholes that can be exploited. Besides, with a Justice League movie supposedly in the works, they have already broke it with the Flash TV show.
    Last edited by superduperman; 06-01-2016 at 08:24 PM.

Incredible Member

There was an interview awhile back where they said the embargo was lifted (I think by Geoff Johns) early on but that they felt like casting Superman was too much pressure and wanted to hold out for the right actor.

I think Matt Bomer would be the right pick. He was passed on for live action movies a couple of times but played Superman in voiceover and a Japanese commercial. In a lot of ways, I see him as the kind of Superman you'd expect for the show.

I think a big problem, however, is that having two people with those powers would tax the budget. I could only see Clark joining the cast with some kind of gimmick that de-powers him (and then do occasional episodes where his powers return but Kara loses hers or something).

If that's true that would be wonderful! And I don't expect him to turn up in every episode. It wouldn't be her show if he did. But this weird rule about "we can show his hands and feet but not his face" is kind of an odd one.

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Not only that, but his "appearance" in the Supergirl season finale was handled pretty poorly, IMO. I've been thinking about that for a while, and if they're going to recognize Superman's existence in the TVU, they should go ahead and cast him. It would be awesome if he had an actual role to play in this fall's megacrossover event.

And yes, Matt Bomer would be an excellent choice. There was an issue of Sensation Comics where Superman was drawn just like him and it was uncanny how well he fits the role!

Incredible Member

googling intensifies

Matt Bomer is it!