View Poll Results: Does "your" Wonder Woman have an accent?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • No accent. American as apple pie!

11 12.22%
  • A slight accent that you can only hear occasionally.

28 31.11%
  • A clear accent that is non-specific, but exotic.

47 52.22%
  • No opinion.

4 4.44%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Does "your" Wonder Woman have an accent?

Since Wonder Woman is obviously not a native speaker of English, it makes sense that she would have some kind of accent, but it also makes sense that she'd be so good at languages that she could easily be so fluent in English that she would speak flawless American English without an accent because her first exposure to the language was from Steve Trevor.

Growing up with Linda Carter and the various cartoon versions with American accents, I never really thought about Diana having an accent, but one of the things I really dug about Gal Gadot's version was that she clearly has an accent and it worked really well, making her more exotic.

What do you think?

You can be perfectly fluent in a language without adopting its accent. And which accent would she adopt anyway? She spends a lot of her time in London and that place has like five major accents present.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Since Wonder Woman is obviously not a native speaker of English, it makes sense that she would have some kind of accent, but it also makes sense that she'd be so good at languages that she could easily be so fluent in English that she would speak flawless American English without an accent because her first exposure to the language was from Steve Trevor.

Growing up with Linda Carter and the various cartoon versions with American accents, I never really thought about Diana having an accent, but one of the things I really dug about Gal Gadot's version was that she clearly has an accent and it worked really well, making her more exotic.

What do you think?
    Back in the day Diana was able to replicate voices so being a native speaker didn't really matter and she clearly had no accent, although she did have a number of Amazonian catch phases such as "Great Hera" and "Suffing Sappho"

MY Wonder Woman has been a resident of a San Francisco stand-in for 50 years. Her Themysciran accent is subtle, and probably only comes out when she's frustrated or distracted.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Just don't give her a British accent.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

She speaks with a Greek accent.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    Just don't give her a British accent.
    I was gonna say that, anything BUT a RP accent

European but like a mix, so you really can't pinpoint.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

She's always sounded a bit like Deanna Troi in my head...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Since I first "met" Diana through Lynda Carter and SuperFriends, no accent for me. I feel like whatever langauge she speaks, she duplicates the accent perfectly.

Clark & Diana Whata Team! Super-Wonder's Avatar

I like my Wonder Woman with a little South Bronx twang.

BANNED

Like to think of her as speaking mostly without one, but occasionally a phrase is spoken oddly or using odd words if she gets agitated or is speaking quickly... and if she really does get angry I would prefer she swore in her native language

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheElectricVersion View Post
    Since I first "met" Diana through Lynda Carter and SuperFriends, no accent for me. I feel like whatever langauge she speaks, she duplicates the accent perfectly.
    Yeah in my head I kind of always hear Lynda speaking when I'm reading Diana

Ultimate Member

Yes, she has an accent for me. I actually really liked Gal Gadot's accent in BVS. It's always, off to me when she just shows up with a generic American/Western accent honestly.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

You guys do realize everyone has an accent, right? If you don't hear an accent, then the person is speaking with your accent.

As for me, I always imagine her speaking like she did in the Justice League cartoon. More realistically, I could see her speaking with a Greek accent or with a BBC accent.