Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member Bslythegamerguy's Avatar

Default Batman: Year One TPB

(Originally posted in the Batman forum before I realized we had a collected forum)

So, seeing as how Year One by Frank Miller is considered to be a defining story within the Batman mythos I figured I would start a discussion topic for it on the Batman forums.

It doesn't matter if it's single issue form, TPB, or hardcover, Batman fans should definitely have a copy of this classic story in their collection. What did you guys think about Year One and in what capacity do you own this legendary tale?

I own Year One in both single issue form and in TPB, and when I go back to read it I usually choose to read my TPB copy. I just love this story so much and I adored the animated movie based upon Miller's work too, it was so well done.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

I own the TPB. It's definitely one of my favorite comics.

Much preferred it to Dark Knight Returns, but for some reaosn much prefered DKR animated movie to the Year One animated movie. I have the TPB somewhere. DC should release an Absolute Edition.

Incredible Member

I have the regular sized hardcover with the half-ish dust jacket and the oversized Deluxe Edition hardcover. There really aren't enough pages in Year One to justify an Absolute Edition, unless DC did what they did with Azzarello's Joker/Luthor and did a slipcase. They could do Year One with Arkham Asylum in an Absolute slipcase even though there's no connection between the two books outside of the time frame they were written (1987 for Year One, 1989 for Arkham Asylum). But seeing how DC just released the Deluxe Edition a few years ago and a new Deluxe Edition for Arkham Asylum coming up this year or next year, I doubt we'll see either in Absolute format any time soon.

I used to own it in tpb, I now have the Deluxe edition and I own the animated movie. Big fan of Year One, I really don't see the need for another batman origin tale as its pretty perfect in setting the scene.

Amazing Member Henrik K. Kristensen's Avatar

I have the latest edition of the tpb and it was my first exposure to the story.

Not a popular opinion. I know, but I don't like it all that much. It was OK, but not amazing - to me.
    I know it is important, but I won't read it mand times.

I liked both The Long Halloween and Dark Victory better.
    Next in my pile is Hush which many consider a Classic as well. Looking very much forward to Reading it as the art looks great when just browsing the pages.

It's GREAT as a story, but I hate it as Batman's definitive origin. We had a lengthy discussion about this in the old Batman #300 and up reviews thread (which I am in the process of restoring), but essentially, I dislike the characterizations of Batman and Gordon. Many will disagree, and I'm not looking to resurrect the debate; just throwing my opinion out there

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I lost my trade, but since it's so easy to replace I'll actually see if I can get the original issues first. It's the one Batman story worth having, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I lost my trade, but since it's so easy to replace I'll actually see if I can get the original issues first. It's the one Batman story worth having, imo.
    There are quite a few fans of the older stuff out there (including myself) who will tell you that Untold Legend of the Batman is, in many ways, a superior Batman origin story. Unfortunately, there's no David Mazzucchelli art, but Jim Aparo and John Byrne do an excellent job.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

From what I've seen, Untold is a version of an origin. There's a lot to like for fans, but it seems easily dated for outsiders. Year One is the kind of story that transcends the typical arc, and it's not hard to see why it's considered a game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    From what I've seen, Untold is a version of an origin. There's a lot to like for fans, but it seems easily dated for outsiders. Year One is the kind of story that transcends the typical arc, and it's not hard to see why it's considered a game changer.

I'm not sure there's anything dated about Untold beyond the fact that Year One contradicted it.

Year One is an extension of DKR, and DKR was a game changer. I just prefer the old game to the new one

Incredible Member

My first exposure to it was buying the softcover version of it by Warner Books in 1990 at a Waldenbooks (long since closed), of which I still have in decent condion, I also have the hardcover anniversary edition and the single issues that I got for a real bargain and still in decent condition.

I love the panel layout and the beautiful coloring done to it, quite unique for a Batman comic of that time.

Fantastic Member

I was 13 years old when this came out (in singles) along with Daredevil Born again, this made me realize how incredible comics can be. This was the first series I ever "double-dipped" on paying a whole $9.95 for the tpb. Will always be my 2nd favorite story-arc (Born Again takes # 1). Still a great combo of story and art, and one of the great coloring jobs of all time.

Absolutely love it, it's what really drew me into Batman comics a couple years back.
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

It's what made me really appreciate Frank Miller as a writer, I never enjoyed Returns so much to begin with but once I read Year One I was sold and read the other famous stuff he has done. It didn't take long for me to start appreciating Returns but I still think Year One is better across the board.