Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Is liking Slott's work a generational thing?

I'm curious, and sorry if this was brought up,
    What is the age group of people who are really enjoying Slott's Spidey and what is the age group of those who don't?

I am close to 40, and as I've mentioned to me this is another version of Spider-Man, not the "real" one (My opinion BTW) and i cannot relate to this Spidey at all (not because of the CEO thing).
    I was wondering if it was a generational thing...

Quote Originally Posted by HAVOK78 View Post
    What is the age group of people who are really enjoying Slott's Spidey and what is the age group of those who don't?

I am close to 40, and as I've mentioned to me this is another version of Spider-Man, not the "real" one (My opinion BTW) and i cannot relate to this Spidey at all (not because of the CEO thing).
    I don't really think it's an age group thing, but a preference on the type of stories.
    FWIW I'm early 20 and I think Slott's run has gone away from what made it interesting at first and now is revolves around huge and world ending storylines. And my opinion comes from seeing what Slott has worked from and working towards.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    I don't really think it's an age group thing, but a preference on the type of stories.
    FWIW I'm early 20 and I think Slott's run has gone away from what made it interesting at first and now is revolves around huge and world ending story lines. And my opinion comes from seeing what Slott has worked from and working towards.
    I was asking because we all start somewhere different, i was reading in the 80s + so of course there will be different views of who Spider-Man / Peter Parker is And what stories you want to read.

I'm 30. I've been reading regularly since after the clone saga, and I like Slott's take on Spider-Man.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Incredible Member

I'm 34 and I'm not a fan of this run at all.

Well, I'm in my early 30s, 31 to be exact (oh crap, I'm over 30 now). I grew up reading Spider-Man during the early 90s and early 2000s, back during the era of Bagley and a married Spider-Man. Thus, for a long time, I was pretty anti-OMD/BND. HOWEVER, let's just say certain things have changed, and I've been catching up on (and enjoying) the last 8 years of BND, the latest story arc with CEO Parker included.

As for me, I like the new changes to Peter. The costume and gadets remind me a lot of the video games and some of the cartoon series, like Spider-Man Unlimited. I think it's cool how Pete has a new nanotech suit, coil webbing, and Spider-mobile. I do find it fascinating to see how the kid from Queens can manage a multi-billion dollar company. At the end of the day, though, what I'm seeing is that though the surrounding things have changed, Pete is still Pete.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

BANNED

I'm 38. I like Dan's stuff. He doesn't always take the title serious, but he loves the character, and that's a nice mix to have in my opinion. He's also willing to try some odd stuff.

BANNED

I'm in my 40s and I greatly enjoy Slott's Spidey. The thing is, I've been around long enough and been reading Spidey long enough that "my" Spidey, the one I grew up with, hasn't existed in decades (looking back, I'd say the DeFalco/Frenz years were kind of it for me in that regard). But I've come to accept that and enjoy the way the character has changed and been reinterpreted by different writers and creators over the course of time. Slott's Spidey might strike some as being wrong or off or whatever but I think his take on the character is totally valid and, importantly, it is consistent within itself.

Amazing Member

Hey thanks for all the responses..
    I was just curious, I just see it as another version that's all.
    I wasn't putting anything down or saying "Slott Sucks" or anything, just wanted to know if i was just being a cranky old reader (which i am at times)

thanks!

I'm 37 and Slott lost me with Superior Spider-Man. The magnitude of disbelief required to make the story work was too much for me.

BANNED

I'm 49, and I started reading at the end of Gerry Conway's run up to about issue 200, so I'm much more used to the
    unmarried Spidey. I like most of Slott's work on ASM. Peter is different than he was back then, but so is the way comics
    are written. In my opinion, Slott hasn't been able to rise up to the level of his writing during Superior Spider-Man, and he
    seems to be going bigger and bigger with more frequency. Plus there's the problem of the books starting back from #1
    with a new setup, when the previous run was just finishing it's basic setup.

Spectacular Member

I am twenty eight but I've been reading Spider-Man since I was eight. I've filled in most of the run. Right now I wouldn't give Spider-Man to an eight year old. Not because the book is too adult. Instead the book is too childish. I don't want to read about a Peter Parker who thinks it's cool to punch an ally just because he got his feelings hurt. Not to mention Peter started the fight at a public playground with kids and civilians around. I don't want a kid to read it and think that's okay behavior.

I haven't been a fan of Dan Slott since Peter Parker Paparazzi. I don't think he understands the character. A good example is in this issue. Peter blows off a meeting about a billion dollar deal in order to hang out with Miles Morales, and compares it to being back in class. The problem is Peter went to class. Peter wanted to do well in school. Peter didn't blow off exams just to hang out with Johnny Storm. Peter tried to be both Spider-Man and Peter Parker. That's where Parker Luck comes in. When Peter strives to be Spider-Man, his life as Peter suffers. When Peter does well as Peter Parker, his demands as Spider-Man suffer. Slott seems to think Parker Luck is Peter being a happy go lucky screwup. But the Peter written until One More Day isn't a natural screw up. He works very hard and takes his responsibilities seriously. But he's spread too thin and his sense of responsibility doesn't let him accept a lot of help, so things fall through the cracks.

"My" Peter Parker would never have accepted the Octopus PhD or Parker Industries in the first place. Not without finding some way to earn them himself.

It's funny reading the comments from the people who liked the fight just because they were entertained. You're basically the people shown in the comic watching the fight over the internet. Anything is fine as long as it keeps you entertained, I guess.

I miss Spider-Man stories that tried to be more than circuses and bread.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MJS View Post
    I am twenty eight but I've been reading Spider-Man since I was eight. I've filled in most of the run. Right now I wouldn't give Spider-Man to an eight year old. Not because the book is too adult. Instead the book is too childish. I don't want to read about a Peter Parker who thinks it's cool to punch an ally just because he got his feelings hurt. Not to mention Peter started the fight at a public playground with kids and civilians around. I don't want a kid to read it and think that's okay behavior.

I haven't been a fan of Dan Slott since Peter Parker Paparazzi. I don't think he understands the character. A good example is in this issue. Peter blows off a meeting about a billion dollar deal in order to hang out with Miles Morales, and compares it to being back in class. The problem is Peter went to class. Peter wanted to do well in school. Peter didn't blow off exams just to hang out with Johnny Storm. Peter tried to be both Spider-Man and Peter Parker. That's where Parker Luck comes in. When Peter strives to be Spider-Man, his life as Peter suffers. When Peter does well as Peter Parker, his demands as Spider-Man suffer. Slott seems to think Parker Luck is Peter being a happy go lucky screwup. But the Peter written until One More Day isn't a natural screw up. He works very hard and takes his responsibilities seriously. But he's spread too thin and his sense of responsibility doesn't let him accept a lot of help, so things fall through the cracks.

"My" Peter Parker would never have accepted the Octopus PhD or Parker Industries in the first place. Not without finding some way to earn them himself.

It's funny reading the comments from the people who liked the fight just because they were entertained. You're basically the people shown in the comic watching the fight over the internet. Anything is fine as long as it keeps you entertained, I guess.

I miss Spider-Man stories that tried to be more than circuses and bread.
    Haha!! Are you kidding about Peter not missing class? This is someone who was in college forever and was always missing classes and exams due to being Spidey. In every other issue it seemed like he was blowing off class or having to be scolded by a professor for not living up to his potential.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Haha!! Are you kidding about Peter not missing class? This is someone who was in college forever and was always missing classes and exams due to being Spidey. In every other issue it seemed like he was blowing off class or having to be scolded by a professor for not living up to his potential.
    Amazing Spider-Man Issue 41: "Wish I could slip into my Spidey suit and do some rooftop swinging - to clear away the cobwebs! But I'd better get to work on my term paper, instead-!"

Amazing Spider-Man Issue 44: "The Lizard must have intended to frame me! But, what do I do about it? I'm stymied if I can't find him! But I just can't miss another day of class!"

Amazing Spider-Man Issue 45: "On top of everything else, there's my studies...! I was supposed to be spending these past days boning up on all the work I missed! How'll I ever catch up now?"

My point is he went to class when he could. He wanted to go to class. He missed classes due to his responsibilities as Spider-Man. He did not blow off exams just to go hang out with other superheroes for fun and because "school is hard" and "oh no I have paperwork" like he does when written by Slott. You misread my post.
    Last edited by MJS; 06-02-2016 at 09:59 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MJS View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man Issue 41: "Wish I could slip into my Spidey suit and do some rooftop swinging - to clear away the cobwebs! But I'd better get to work on my term paper, instead-!"

My point is he went to class when he could. He wanted to go to class. He missed classes due to his responsibilities as Spider-Man. He did not blow off exams just to go hang out with other superheroes for fun and because "school is hard" and "oh no I have paperwork" like he does when written by Slott. You misread my post.
    In this issue he postpones Parker Industry business in order to mentor Miles Morales. He isn't shirking his responsibilities just to "hang out". And who's to say the owner of a company can't decide whether he can afford to postpone a meeting or not? He is the boss, after all. This is not the same as him blowing off a class.