Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Amazing Spider-Man, #14

POWER PLAY CONTINUES!
    • Things aren't going well between the Amazing Spider-Man and the Invincible Iron Man and their conflict is opening the door for Regent and his plan against our heroes!
    • Now that Regent has started imprisoning HEROES and stealing their powers things have gone from bad to worse.

Full article here.

Astonishing Member

I hope the plan will go bad for Regent and maybe he will accidentally absorb Jane Foster's cancer. That would be a very appropiated twist.

Also, I hope the last page of this issue will show us Mary Jane as "Iron Spider".

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    I hope the plan will go bad for Regent and maybe he will accidentally absorb Jane Foster's cancer. That would be a very appropiated twist.

Also, I hope the last page of this issue will show us Mary Jane as "Iron Spider".
    That sounds like a great twist. I'd bet Regent absorbs her last in issue 15 when he's about to beat Iron man and Spidey and that's what happens.

I would be interested in how his technology is able to give him Thor's magic. He's coping powers of everybody in those tubes and I don't think in Renew your vows or this the science has been explained how it happens as being able to copy genetic, technological based, and magical based powers are three different aspects. I figured he will want Thor to keep her hammer with her while in the tube or else she will revert plus Mjölnir wouldn't work normally with him. Maybe he does separate (but the moment he does the hammer becomes so heavy he can't hold it and it falls to the ground and remains there unliftable). The magic of the hammer remains temporary with Thor thus she is still Thor when placed in the tube.

When he begins to battle Spider-Man and Iron Man and beats them MJ comes out and battles the unbeatable god villain to save Peter and Tony. Then during that battle Thor reverts back to Jane making Regent lose his winning blow against MJ. Furthermore without Thor's magic aiding him but now a cancer being copyied he becomes very weak and sick. Ms Marvel's powers begins to take into effect however while Ms Marvel powers does offer regenerative abilities it basically works by reverting back to basic form (a problem that Ms Marvel has had and had to forcefully stop her healing factor while in battle. Forced into a sort of primary save slate form being a normal human all of the powers becomes canceled from the combo of Jane's cancer and Ms Marvel's revert healing abilities activating.

This makes Regent now powerless as Ms Marvel's powers would stop all others in it's healing phase. MJ delvers the winning blow and later the other heroes become free.

Maybe Captain America gets free thanks to Betty and before the other heroes arrive he breaks out Jane and gets her back to her hammer to keep her identity a secret or maybe even the three young heroes discovers her secret then and assisted in protecting her identity before Spider-Man/Peter, Iron Spider/MJ, and Tony arrive. Plus not only is there Betty to consider and what role she might play and also Harry during all of this and everybody at Parker Industries and Friday who might show up and play a possible role.

The ending of the issue connects with the Amazing Spider-Man #15 cover in an interesting way spoilers:
    suggesting MJ is going to try to save Peter and Tony.
    end of spoilers
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The ending of the issue connects with the Amazing Spider-Man #15 cover in an interesting way spoilers:
    suggesting MJ is going to try to save Peter and Tony.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I hope she does. It would be an excellent redemption for her marginalization in the Spider-Man books.
    end of spoilers
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Mighty Member

Tony seems to have some kind of problem with Peter that is deeper than Peter's insecure jealousy oder Tony. While Peter was able to put aside his issues, Tony was not able to do the same. Peter behaved a lot better this issue than the last two issues.

Astonishing Member

Mary Jane had a rather Gwen Stacy-ish outfit this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Mary Jane had a real bitchy attitude towards Peter this issue especially about him having his secret identity. She does remember why it is that Peter went through with getting his secret ID back. OMD didn't erase the fact that Aunt May got shot because his identity became public.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Mary Jane had a real bitchy attitude towards Peter this issue especially about him having his secret identity. She does remember why it is that Peter went through with getting his secret ID back. OMD didn't erase the fact that Aunt May got shot because his identity became public.
    In superior spider man 31, MJ had a different reason for rejecting Peter than she does in this issue. Slott is doing MJ like he did the black cat.

I enjoyed the scene with Miles' parents even if Peter did come off looking pretty bad. Also, the focus on Harry.
    On the other hand, MJ's interactions are ridiculously antagonistic for no apparent reason. And all these OMD red herrings (man in red, Mephisto over at SM/DP, Peter's identity mindwipe ripple effect nonsense discussion on-panel, May being in danger) are getting tiresome. Yes, they are, until the last panel on the last issue of DNM I stand by this statement. And even then, watch out for the epilogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    If she's supposed to remind me of Gwen, then it succeeded. Because she annoyed the hell out of me.

I didn't like this issue that much, but this stood out to me...

Attachment 36898

Pull the trigger Piglet...

Why is she acting like Tony Stark is better than Peter Parker? (If you want to try and defend that nonsense; I demand a typed 8 page essay, double spaced, 12 pt font by Friday.)

It's almost like Slott had to make up a B.S. reason to explain why MJ can hang out with Iron Man but not Spider-man.

Wow OK so let me see if I can follow this "logic"...a hero who has a secret identity puts someone they love at more risk than one who tells the whole world? Peter didn't risk his family and friend's lives by putting his identity out in the public for years, and that made him a dick? And when he did make that stupid move, his mother figure almost died! Also that's why GWEN DIED! Norman found out his secret identity then he murdered Gwen. So??? Are you sure that's the better one of the two options???? Wow. Slott. Wow. Way to drag MJ's character through the mud just a little bit more. What? Is? This? Logic?

Why is Peter apologizing, she CHOSE to be in a relationship with him. He didn't force her into anything. She's known who he was and what he does since the beginning. She's struggled with his mask before, much like he does. But it's been shown time and time again that she accepts the fact that it would always be apart of Peter. And if she wanted to be with Peter, she would have to accept Spider-man.

It's pretty damn annoying how Slott has her completely ignore the fact that a child is missing to take a shot at Peter, for no reason.

She just comes off as an emotionless bratty robot, and thanks to Camuncoli's art she looks that way too.

How is this supposed to Mary Jane Watson???

11bjmmb.jpg

tumblr_m3qa3hI2o31qcgagno1_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_n9ozvmlkpY1s16be1.jpg

How????

This is super frustrating. My wallet and brain deserve better. And so does MJ.
    Last edited by DCordo74; 06-15-2016 at 07:34 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCordo74 View Post
    If she's supposed to remind me of Gwen, then it succeeded. Because she annoyed the hell out of me.

I didn't like this issue that much, but this stood out to me...

Attachment 36898

Pull the trigger Piglet...

Why is she acting like Tony Stark is better than Peter Parker? (If you want to try and defend that nonsense; I demand a typed 8 page essay, double spaced, 12 pt font by Friday.)

It's almost like Slott had to make up a B.S. reason to explain why MJ can hang out with Iron Man but not Spider-man.

Wow OK so let me see if I can follow this "logic"...a hero who has a secret identity puts someone they love at more risk than one who tells the whole world? Peter didn't risk his family and friend's lives by putting his identity out in the public for years, and that made him a dick? And when he did make that stupid move, his mother figure almost died! Also that's why GWEN DIED! Norman found out his secret identity then he murdered Gwen. So??? Are you sure that's the better one of the two options???? Wow. Slott. Wow. Way to drag MJ's character through the mud just a little bit more. What? Is? This? Logic?

Why is Peter apologizing, she CHOSE to be in a relationship with him. He didn't force her into anything. She's known who he was and what he does since the beginning. She's struggled with his mask before, much like he does. But it's been shown time and time again that she accepts the fact that it would always be apart of Peter. And if she wanted to be with Peter, she would have to accept Spider-man.

It's pretty damn annoying how Slott has her completely ignore the fact that a child is missing to take a shot at Peter, for no reason.

She just comes off as an emotionless bratty robot, and thanks to Camuncoli's art she looks that way too.

How is this supposed to Mary Jane Watson???

11bjmmb.jpg

tumblr_m3qa3hI2o31qcgagno1_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_n9ozvmlkpY1s16be1.jpg

How????

This is super frustrating. My wallet and brain deserve better. And so does MJ.
    Plus, Tony seems to hate Peter.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Man. That would be pretty dark way to go out. It'd be a very clever thing to do but I imagine if Slott was going to do that then he would have set up Thor more in the story. I'm guessing the reference to Regent over taxing himself will how he will go out. I also think it would be neat if they referenced how Peter and his various clones spider senses cancelled each other out thus if someone like Tony or Iron Spider-Jane distracts him Peter could could get the drop on him.

Quote Originally Posted by DCordo74 View Post

I think you're reading a bit too much into this. People use that kind of logic all the time to justify themselves in situations they know are not ideal. "I don't like x but at least he/she/it's honest" or "I know it's not right but at least I know what I'm getting into". At the end of the day being Tony Stark's co worker doesn't mark her as a target in the same way as being wife or immediate family.

Also how many times did Peter lie to her about where he'd be or that he'd quit or even stand her up on dates? Since her relationship with Stark is at this point purely professional he can stay out all night and day Iron Man-ing without it personally impacting her. You can easily justify her attitude in this issue.

This is hardly new. She accepts Peter is Spider-Man until she doesn't. That's always been the case and certainly I'd argue there were certain situations like Peter being buried alive for a time by Kraven, the whole clone saga, being held captive by psychic Lollipop man and so on that even accepting what she was getting into she couldn't really anticipate. As you point out she's consistently struggled with Peter's dual life but ultimately shown that her love trumps that in the end but since it's Marvel's current edict the two can't be together a writer has a choice of still showing her struggling with this or portraying her as completely over it which might be taken to mean she's completely over him which might upset fans even more.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post

I think you're reading a bit too much into this. People use that kind of logic all the time to justify themselves in situations they know are not ideal. "I don't like x but at least he/she/it's honest" or "I know it's not right but at least I know what I'm getting into". At the end of the day being Tony Stark's co worker doesn't mark her as a target in the same way as being wife or immediate family.
    No Mary Jane is not using logic. Or rather Dan Slott/Christos Gage are not using logic.

In Superior Spider-Man 31 an out of character Mary Jane claimed she couldn't be in Peter's life because she couldn't handle his superhero life any more. It had nothing to do with his secret identity. She wanted a normal life, no superheroes at all. She tells Carlie she can't be a target anymore and they bring up Gwen as an example of what happens to people whose lives are involved with superheroes.

Now she's working for Tony. She is the personal assistant to a superhero. That's knee deep in a situation that according to her in SSM 31 is the last thing she wants but she takes the job anyway.

And now Slott/Gage write her attacking Peter secret identity? WTF?! I understand Slott hates Parallel Lives but it was written and published and still exists in continuity. MJ knew Peter's secret identity before she met him. She knows the secret identity existed to stop bad guys from targeting Aunt May and her and others in Peter's life. Did it work all the time, of course not. But how many villains would have targeted her if Peter's identity was public?!

I agree working for Tony is not the same as being Tony's wife or girlfriend in terms of being a target but Slott/Gage still put twisted illogic in the character's mouth.

Also how many times did Peter lie to her about where he'd be or that he'd quit or even stand her up on dates?
    She knew his secret identity then and why he did it. If you haven't you should read Parallel Lives by Gerry Conway and the Alien Costume Saga by Tom DeFalco. She repeats she knows why he does it in the execrable SSM 31. Mary Jane does not appear for the first time in this issue. The character has a history and established personality. If Slott doesn't want to work with continuity then he should create his own work and stop working with corporate property.

Since her relationship with Stark is at this point purely professional he can stay out all night and day Iron Man-ing without it personally impacting her.
    That's not what is happening in Iron Man. Tony Stark's disappearance in that title is personally impacting her.

You can easily justify her attitude in this issue.
    Only if she is the brand new character Juana Maria. One can't justify this as the attitude of Mary Jane. It doesn't track with the established Mary Jane and it doesn't even track with SSM 31 which was already out of character.

This is hardly new. She accepts Peter is Spider-Man until she doesn't. That's always been the case and certainly I'd argue there were certain situations like Peter being buried alive for a time by Kraven, the whole clone saga, being held captive by psychic Lollipop man and so on that even accepting what she was getting into she couldn't really anticipate. As you point out she's consistently struggled with Peter's dual life but ultimately shown that her love trumps that in the end but since it's Marvel's current edict the two can't be together a writer has a choice of still showing her struggling with this or portraying her as completely over it which might be taken to mean she's completely over him which might upset fans even more.
    Mary Jane may have struggled when it was editorially dictated but she's never been illogical like this. It's like Slott and Gage can't keep track of what they last wrote for her. I've said it before but Dan Slott writes Lego playsets. He forces his minifigs into his pre-planned Lego diagram. And there's Mary Jane deciding to make petty digs at Peter when she knows Miles is missing and Sam Wilson is in trouble. Someone asked me how I could be sure Dan Slott doesn't like the character of Mary Jane, here's Exhibit A.

Right now fans would probably be happier if she stayed out of Slott's/Gage's hands.

On the other hand, the entire issue is a mess.

Most of the Marvel U jobs to the Regent in 24 hours or so. Not just the Avengers but he also has Rogue, Daredevil, Iceman, Quicksilver and Hyperion among others. That's believable.

Everyone jobbing to Miles's venom power only points out how stupid it was when Slott didn't have Miles use it against the Regent.

The Regent's fights take place in one panel or off panel. Instead we get Peter at the Morales's home once more acting like a unprofessional manchild who runs his mouth off without thinking and the Faux-Mary Jane scene.

The Regent doesn't bother to camouflage himself while toting Thor through the air but wants the direct tunnel opened so he can't be seen and only then does Stillwell scramble surveillance. Mary Jane's not the only one with failed logic.

Harry Osborn, who should just drop the Lyman as it's not fooling anyone, goes to visit the Regent by himself even though he knows Betty disappeared doing the same thing.

The Regent has all that tech yet doesn't bother to disable people's Apple watches.

The Regent acts like Betty and Harry only discovered his identity by luck but he is wearing his corporate logo on his chest.
    Last edited by MJS; 06-15-2016 at 11:09 PM.