Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Old Man Logan #7

i have read it finally today and i loooooove this!

i found it incredible! The series is so intense and dark that i stopped reading it in Italian and bough the last 3 issues in english . It has everything i hoped to find in the Punisher comic (but i didn't). Also, i like all the inner monologues of Logan and the way he is so sad and so rude.
    And the art is spectacular for me (Italian pride )

oldmanlogan#7art.jpg

did you read it? What did you think about it?

This book is one of my favorites

the art is just.... fits so well
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

Old Man Logan #7 pretty nicely illustrates just what I think is wrong with the series: It feels like Lemire is going out of his way to throw as many classic Wolverine adversaries against him as he can, and to hell with plot. The fight with Chulk felt crammed in just to have a fight with a hulk, and now he's dragging out Deathstrike. I'm just waiting for him to truck out the reformed Sabretooth and come up with a contrived explanation for them to fight.

Actually, I'm not even counting on an explanation. Creed will turn up for no real reason, they'll fight, and that will be it.

The use of Deathstrike may be even MORE egregious because Lemire completely disregards the development she underwent under Soule in the Logan Legacy and Wolverines. Yuriko has become one of THE worst one-note characters in Marvel, existing pretty much entirely to troll Wolverine. Even Creed at least has his general "kill or be killed" nihilism to fall back on. Under Soule we saw Deathstrike make peace with Logan after his death. She even undertook a mission to recover the stolen Honor Blade of Clan Yashida in his name, before laying it to rest at a memorial Logan himself established for friends and enemies. She also had some interesting development in Wolverines, as her conflict over Sharp and Ogun — one trying his best to find redemption, the other reveling in his monstrosity — hinted that she's a far more complex woman than has ever been explored.

Unfortunately, all that gets tossed unceremoniously into the dumpster in this issue. Deathstrike is hunting down Logan just because he's alive. That's pretty much it. Writers keep banging out that one note, and it just makes the book feel as tired of plodding ahead as Old Man Logan himself.

I also see it as symptomatic of one of the most glaring editorial problems at Marvel: They're not keeping their writers in line, making sure that characterization is consistent from book to book, and that writers don't summarily ignore what the other writers are doing to squeeze round characters into square holes.

It's not that the book is BAD; the art continues to be spectacular, and Lemire's characterization of Logan is wonderful. It just leaves me wondering, "What's the point?" It's not treading any really NEW ground, and just seems to exist to watch an older and crankier Logan aimlessly fight the same enemies with no real drive or motivation.
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 06-02-2016 at 11:41 AM.

well, for me 'the point' is to show how this new version of Logan adapt to this new life in this universe. And to say some nice stories to be read.

i admit i have not read many comics at all, if you're looking for 'the point' you could say the same about a lot of other comics\manga\movies, i think. I'm reading Daredevil too, and 'the point' is to say a new nice story. and what's 'the point' of the 'Avengers' movie if not to show some heroes against a new threat?

for me it's just reading some cool stories

(just my opinion, i don't want to troll )

Loved this issue it is the best wolverine(logan) has been since schism.and the art is remains wonderful. And i don't think people want something new with logan at the moment. Certainly not after the misteps that were headmaster logan and a logan that was yelling avengers assemble during AvX.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Old Man Logan #7 pretty nicely illustrates just what I think is wrong with the series: It feels like Lemire is going out of his way to throw as many classic Wolverine adversaries against him as he can, and to hell with plot. The fight with Chulk felt crammed in just to have a fight with a hulk, and now he's dragging out Deathstrike. I'm just waiting for him to truck out the reformed Sabretooth and come up with a contrived explanation for them to fight.

Actually, I'm not even counting on an explanation. Creed will turn up for no real reason, they'll fight, and that will be it.

The use of Deathstrike may be even MORE egregious because Lemire completely disregards the development she underwent under Soule in the Logan Legacy and Wolverines. Yuriko has become one of THE worst one-note characters in Marvel, existing pretty much entirely to troll Wolverine. Even Creed at least has his general "kill or be killed" nihilism to fall back on. Under Soule we saw Deathstrike make peace with Logan after his death. She even undertook a mission to recover the stolen Honor Blade of Clan Yashida in his name, before laying it to rest at a memorial Logan himself established for friends and enemies. She also had some interesting development in Wolverines, as her conflict over Sharp and Ogun — one trying his best to find redemption, the other reveling in his monstrosity — hinted that she's a far more complex woman than has ever been explored.

Unfortunately, all that gets tossed unceremoniously into the dumpster in this issue. Deathstrike is hunting down Logan just because he's alive. That's pretty much it. Writers keep banging out that one note, and it just makes the book feel as tired of plodding ahead as Old Man Logan himself.

I also see it as symptomatic of one of the most glaring editorial problems at Marvel: They're not keeping their writers in line, making sure that characterization is consistent from book to book, and that writers don't summarily ignore what the other writers are doing to squeeze round characters into square holes.

It's not that the book is BAD; the art continues to be spectacular, and Lemire's characterization of Logan is wonderful. It just leaves me wondering, "What's the point?" It's not treading any really NEW ground, and just seems to exist to watch an older and crankier Logan aimlessly fight the same enemies with no real drive or motivation.
    I agree with you on Lady Deathstrike, but it's kind of a minor point for me. It's still a good Wolverine comic with an Old Man Logan twist, and it would be perfectly fine if it was just the other Reavers.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

great art. that's all i'll say about it.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Picking up this today. Frim what i read here deathstrike is written bad. Im not suprised. I like her but she should have given up on logan along time ago.

Spectacular Member Emilio Garra's Avatar

In my attempt to get back into comics, this title is the only one that keeps me intrigued. I tried to give the others a chance, but they're just too far removed from what I loved about the X-titles.

Now think how bad it's going to be once Mystique gets word about Logan considering that she was willing to let the world burn over reviving him back in Wolverines.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Now think how bad it's going to be once Mystique gets word about Logan considering that she was willing to let the world burn over reviving him back in Wolverines.
    Wouldn't be surprised if she's somewhere on the list of Random Encounters.

Spectacular Member Emilio Garra's Avatar

The point is it gives OG Wolverine fans something to read and not "girl power" Wolverine. I actually like Laura as a character, but I just can't get into her new book. I know Laura is suppose to be a teenage girl, but the new series feels as if it was actually written for teenage girls... IMO.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Finally read it. Ending is interesti g if it goes somewhere. But deathstrike wasnt right. Its been 8 moths but xome on Marvel needs to follow continuity. If asked im sure they apout some lame excuse

Quote Originally Posted by healed1337 View Post
    I agree with you on Lady Deathstrike, but it's kind of a minor point for me. It's still a good Wolverine comic with an Old Man Logan twist, and it would be perfectly fine if it was just the other Reavers.
    Agreed, it's a shame all of her past was ignored, but this was a good story in spite of that.

Yeah, I'm not really clear what Yuriko actually wanted to happen here.