Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    I dunno, but the new Amazing Friends are Spider-Man, Nova, and Ms. Marvel.
    Heck yeah, now there's a trio right there. Ultimate Spider-Man and his 616 Friends.

BANNED

If you base the idea of a Trinity on the idea that Superman Wonder Woman and Batman are instantly recognizable to people who have never read a comic and of all ages, my thought is Marvel have Spider-man and then a lot of people in the Flash/Green Lantern 2nd wave category.

Yes the movies have raised a lot of public awareness but would your grandmother know who Iron Man is? Not sure (actually personally I'm totally sure neither of my grandmothers would have known).

Invincible Member

it's Spiderman, Hulk, and the X-men

BANNED

DC has always been about individuals while Marvel has been about teams with Spidey being the only solo character who gets the same push as the team.

The Trinity is X-men, Avengers, and Spiderman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Icefalcon View Post
    If you base the idea of a Trinity on the idea that Superman Wonder Woman and Batman are instantly recognizable to people who have never read a comic and of all ages, my thought is Marvel have Spider-man and then a lot of people in the Flash/Green Lantern 2nd wave category.

Yes the movies have raised a lot of public awareness but would your grandmother know who Iron Man is? Not sure (actually personally I'm totally sure neither of my grandmothers would have known).
    Going by your criteria (which I actually agree with if your defining what characters are iconic) then Marvel has Spidey and Hulk. The Hulk had a TV show back in the 70's which makes lot of older grandmas aware of who he is and he's also instantly recognizable. Captain America could be considered for a third spot on the Grandma scale but he's definitely below the first two.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Going by your criteria (which I actually agree with if your defining what characters are iconic) then Marvel has Spidey and Hulk. The Hulk had a TV show back in the 70's which makes lot of older grandmas aware of who he is and he's also instantly recognizable. Captain America could be considered for a third spot on the Grandma scale but he's definitely below the first two.
    I'll go along with that. I also considered Cap for a place but I'm honestly not sure how far below Spidey he sits in recognition as you say though it's below

I remember when Marvel relaunched the Avengers after Siege everyone on editorial and Bendis (who was writing the core Avengers book) referred to Thor, Cap, and Iron Man as 'the Big 3'. I'd say that's the closest Marvel can come to having a Trinity comparable to DC's.

Marvel is more team based. So I think their trinity is just their 3 major and most popular teams: Avengers, X-Men and Fantastic Four.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

BANNED

NO trinity.

Marvel's got seven!

Last edited by RLAAMJR.; 06-04-2016 at 01:47 PM.

Invincible Member

People need to realize that DC's trinity is such because of actual historical events. Supes, Bats, and WW are the only superheroes that were created in the golden age and continued to be published from then until now. Plus they have achieved a certain pop culture icon status where even if you never picked up a comic book, you know about those characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercide View Post
    Over at DC the 'Trinity' is used to refer to Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.

Although Captain America, Iron Man and Thor are commonly regarded as the equivalent of this withing the Avengers, are they really the equivalents within the Marvel Universe as a whole?

Imo Spider-Man, Wolverine ad Iron Man are probably the trinity in terms of sheer sales/popularity. But what does everyone else think?
    Rogue, Wolverine and Storm.

Yeah, they're all X-Men. Big whoop. Wanna fight about it?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Rogue, Wolverine and Storm.

Yeah, they're all X-Men. Big whoop. Wanna fight about it?
    For the X-men's trinity: Storm, Wolverine and Cyclops but it's not really just three. I'd add Jean Grey and Rogue.

BANNED

and for the new trinity: Kamala Khan, Miles Morales and SpiderGwen

Marvel's Trinity was the Illuminati. Richards, Iron Man, Xavier, Namor, and Black Bolt.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    People need to realize that DC's trinity is such because of actual historical events. Supes, Bats, and WW are the only superheroes that were created in the golden age and continued to be published from then until now. Plus they have achieved a certain pop culture icon status where even if you never picked up a comic book, you know about those characters.
    Captain America was created in 1941 which predates Wonder Woman by a year.