Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Another thing I think Snyder underestimated is how important origins can be. Stories and appearances come and go, but be careful if you mess with an origin, that will be remembered more. (That's probably why comics go the origin well a lot, because they sell because fans care)

I can't tell you all of Freeze's New 52 appearances, but I can remember that Snyder Annual and how much I hated that origin.

Snyder stupidly went against like one thing that (feels like) all comic fans agree was the best development in the history of Mr Freeze....Heart of Ice.

You have to wonder what Snyder was thinking (hellbent on doing something different? arrogant confidence in his version?). How did he think this new origin would go over? It was not even close to the better story of Freeze's origins.

I frankly hate writers so hellbent on doing something different to the point of tearing up a fan beloved origin/story. Fans play a part in canon now too, more than ever nowadays.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-03-2016 at 06:43 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

What origin would it be changed back to? "Heart of Ice" was never part of the comics, and even in the confines of Batman: TAS only spawned 2 more episodes and one DTV movie.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    What origin would it be changed back to? "Heart of Ice" was never part of the comics
    No, Heart of Ice basically was part of the comics due to:
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman:_Mr._Freeze
    and/or LOTDK Snow #192-196
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-03-2016 at 07:40 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    No, Heart of Ice basically was part of the comics due to:
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman:_Mr._Freeze
    and/or LOTDK Snow #192-196
    In Dini's "Mr. Freeze", Fries mistakenly kills Nora while fighting Batman, so that doesn't really mesh with what you seem to want. The LOTDK-story is good, but also designed as a one-off rather than something to build on regarding Freeze as a character. I'll have to re-read it, but I remember it as being pretty insular.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    In Dini's "Mr. Freeze", Fries mistakenly kills Nora while fighting Batman, so that doesn't really mesh with what you seem to want. The LOTDK-story is good, but also designed as a one-off rather than something to build on regarding Freeze as a character. I'll have to re-read it, but I remember it as being pretty insular.
    I didn't mean to say I exactly want precisely Heart of Ice in all its details. I was fine with that one shot having Nora dead. I want mostly Heart of Ice.

I can sympathize with writers not wanting to be weighed down and beholden to dancing around using Nora (having to explain how Freeze's latest whatever is about reviving Nora), so she can be dead. I want writers to be able to just have Freeze being a regular super criminal stealing money or teaming up or killing people or trying to kill Batman.

Ideally, my "mostly Heart of Ice" origin would be: terminally ill wife Nora in cryogenic stasis, GothCorp, CEO Ferris Boyle, funding cut, cryonic chemical bath, Boyle goes down. The broad strokes. The rest might be negotiable. Nora could be and probably should be definitely dead.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-03-2016 at 08:23 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Yes please. His new origin wasn't good.

Just one of the many stupid decisions in the New 52 that completely erased the original allure of the characters. Was hoping Rebirth would change some of those things... but from the looks of it, only certain characters are reverting back to their previous states, like I guess Freeze will be doing in All-Star. But the whole thing is just way too complicated for me. What events are still in continuity? What events aren't? You can't just pick and choose, right?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Well, I didn't mind Snyder's annual. Have seen Heart of Ice one time too many and the best thing for me still is the chicken soup. Under the Red Hood had Freeze as killer for hire. In my book way worse than Snyder's origin but I second not liking Bruce as replacement Ferris Boyle.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 06-03-2016 at 11:21 AM.

It's Heart of Ice or nothing as his origin.
    Last edited by byrd156; 06-03-2016 at 12:03 PM.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Incredible Member

Yes, his origin should be reverted back to their tragic state. Liked him better as one of the few arguably sane, tragic rogues.

Don't know. In reality it does make more sense. I mean If someone was in love in real life and their lover got an incurable disease there is no way you would turn into a super-villain to find a cure. It just doesn't make any sense, they could never love the moster you've become. Especially when the relationship is supposedly healthy and normal.

However, having said that, it does kind of turn his motivations into generic psycotic supervillan, at least before he had an interesting angle.

So yeah, turn it back I guess, but would possibly say retread with some slight alterations, not that I'm going to start making suggestions.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Nu52 freeze sucks so I would happily see the return to his previous origin.

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    Don't know. In reality it does make more sense. I mean If someone was in love in real life and their lover got an incurable disease there is no way you would turn into a super-villain to find a cure. It just doesn't make any sense, they could never love the moster you've become. Especially when the relationship is supposedly healthy and normal.

However, having said that, it does kind of turn his motivations into generic psycotic supervillan, at least before he had an interesting angle.

So yeah, turn it back I guess, but would possibly say retread with some slight alterations, not that I'm going to start making suggestions.
    New Freeze's motivations don't make any more sense than the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    They better. There was no reason to change it. I would generally like the B:TAS incarnations to be the basis for many of the rogues; chiefly Freeze, but also Clayface and the Mad Hatter.
    Completely agree.

Incredible Member

There was no reason to change in the first place but I'm not about to pretend Freeze was a good character beyond that one story