Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Default Should Mr Freeze's Origin be Changed Back for Rebirth?

Because as far as I'm concerned, one of the stupidest recons of the New 52 was the bright idea to take away Victor's most redeeming and tragic quality - the desire to cure his stricken wife Nora at any cost, who drives him into the role of super criminal - and make her some random 40's girl he thinks is his wife, effectively turning him into insane generic super villain again at the expense of everything Bruce Timm and TAS made his character engaging with. And which has been ignored by every other incarnation of Freeze done since, including Gotham and the Arkham series.

Freeze should be a tragic story of love leading to destructive change and amoral choices, and that decision to take all of that away from him has always annoyed me. Rebirth probably gives the perfect opportunity to undo that and make Nora his actual wife again. Does anyone else feel the same way?

He's apparently going to be showing up in All-Star Batman from Snyder, given the teaser image, so if there was a chance for Snyder to undo the retcon, that would be it.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Please yes, or if you can't do that, go back to the original character from way back in the 40s who was just a dork with a weird gimmick. The whole "Let's make him this vile villain" really turned me off freeze who was my second favorite character behind Riddler.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Yes, back to BTAS with the origin.

Great point Frontier...Snyder is using him next and if there's a chance that Snyder realizes the error of his terrible terrible origin ("insane generic super villain" is dead accurate as to what Snyder made him), it's there.

What Snyder didn't realize is that he didn't not have end the tragic Nora origin to explain why Freeze might rob something or just do regular rogue stuff. All sorts of reasons can be stated by Freeze in any given story why he is doing regular super criminal things that have nothing to do with Nora.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-02-2016 at 01:45 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I always figured that if he's not doing things to further research into Nora's condition he's trying to make money to find or pay for said research, assuming stealing it is not an option. It's probably because I currently think of a combo of the TAS and Arkham Freezes when I think of the definitive Victor.

It'll be difficult to retcon the wife issue though, given the fact they made Bruce instrumental to his origin rather than Ferris Boyle.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Well they could always say that the Rebirth thing changed it up, or that the memories that he had were false and he gets the real ones back.

Also I always assumed that when he wasn't stealing for Nora he was stealing items to sell on the black market to make ends meet to keep the electric going or other needs that he had. Man still has to eat I think.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    It'll be difficult to retcon the wife issue though, given the fact they made Bruce instrumental to his origin rather than Ferris Boyle.
    That's another aspect I HATED...hyperconnecting every little thing to Bruce or Batman.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

They better. There was no reason to change it. I would generally like the B:TAS incarnations to be the basis for many of the rogues; chiefly Freeze, but also Clayface and the Mad Hatter.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    That's another aspect I HATED...hyperconnecting every little thing to Bruce or Batman.
    Yes yes yes all this! I was gonna actually make this thread earlier. I was listening to Fatman and he pays respect to the dude who played freeze in BTAS...and it dawned on me how much I don't like the new 52 freeze ...I was kinda feeling the stuff with his mom tho...shows how cold he was as a kid... but he lost a lot of finesse otherwise
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I always figured that if he's not doing things to further research into Nora's condition he's trying to make money to find or pay for said research, assuming stealing it is not an option. It's probably because I currently think of a combo of the TAS and Arkham Freezes when I think of the definitive Victor.

And he can be utterly ruthless in trying to get that stuff, if you're worried about him being soft. Or maybe he starts experimenting to figure out how to help her, and people die.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I figure DC have figured if they make him entirely about Nora and having the sympathy card, there's usually only so many story types they can do with him, but removing it completely still seemed a dumb decision. And he can be ruthless, even angry, as long as it's done in a relatively cold and clinical sort of way. Ultimately Victor's story is all about love turned to desperation and not having the compassion and feeling to know a route to her survival is amoral. I liked how Arkham Knight had Nora revive and still love Victor whilst telling him she isn't worth such destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    They better. There was no reason to change it. I would generally like the B:TAS incarnations to be the basis for many of the rogues; chiefly Freeze, but also Clayface and the Mad Hatter.
    Yes! I suppose with Mad Hatter there's always the danger he turns into an outright disturbed pedo type. My fav version is the Arkham Hatter, excellently voiced by Peter MacNicol. "Late, Batman, late late late!"

Yes. Please.

Snyder had forgivable moments. This was not one of them.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

I'll have to agree with everyone else, it's one of the more baffling changes they made.

Astonishing Member

Yes it should to Heart of Ice. Worst thing Scott Snyder's ever done and I'm a fan of his.