Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    So far, I am seeing at least 5 copies of Superman. 1. pre coie earth 2 superman. 2. pre coie earth 1 superman. 3. earth 0 retro silver age superman represented by the powerless married clark kent at the end of whatever happened to the man of tomorrow by alan (peace be upon him) moore. 4. earth 0 pre flashpoint married superman. 5. earth 0 new 52 unmarried superman. My guess is the earth 0 superman copy got fractured into 3 copies. There are probably also at least 5 jokers. 1. pre coie earth 2 joker. 2. pre coie earth 1 joker. 3. earth 0 retro silver age joker from the 1950s. 4. earth 0 pre flashpoint joker represented by the joker from the killing joke by alan (peace be upon him) moore. 5. earth 0 new 52 joker. My guess is the earth 0 joker got fracked into 3 copies.
    What is the difference between #2 and #3? I thought (in a sense) that WHTTMOT was the swan song (ha! see what I did there?) of the Pre-Crisis/Silver Age/Earth 1 Superman.

EDIT: Oh wait, I'm getting the feeling you weren't actually trying to have a discussion, just throw random pessimistic statements out there.

Maybe alan moore is more of a realist rather than a pessimist and his works continue be used by DC in stories so DC probably loves alan moore.

Random thought occurred to me:

What if by the end of all this, we'll have the JSA in the 40's, the All-Star Squad in the 50's, the Minutemen in the 60's, Watchmen in the 70's, JLA in the 80's, Teen Titans in the 90's then the "missing ten years" that were skipped during the 00's where everyone jumped ahead,(maybe because of Zero Hour?) then the Nu52....? No, that doesn't make sense....

Hopefully, the missing 10 years will one day be returned so that most of dc history can be restored.

So again another major DC event that has nothing to do with heroes being heroic just more persecution complex stuff with mixed up characters being attacked from another outside force. Yeah I hated Rebirth and won't look at this stuff again but I am convinced this sort of nonsense with self referencing and soap opera drama hero victims is the reason US comics can't get a wider audience back.

Dc probably needs more funds to look for new customers to get out of the continuity and legacies hole that it is stuck in for many decades now.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    Dc probably needs more funds to look for new customers to get out of the continuity and legacies hole that it is stuck in for many decades now.
    Continuity and Legacies is actually what draws many people to a shared universe. Given that Marvel and DC still easily outsell all of those publishers who don't have that, and that the top selling titles are the ones that are most steeped in continuity and legacy, I think they are just fine bringing those aspects back.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Continuity and Legacies is actually what draws many people to a shared universe. Given that Marvel and DC still easily outsell all of those publishers who don't have that, and that the top selling titles are the ones that are most steeped in continuity and legacy, I think they are just fine bringing those aspects back.
    Here here, the legacy and continuity is the biggest draw for my family and friends. If they didn't care about a huge shared universe they'd just read webcomics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelocust View Post
    Here here, the legacy and continuity is the biggest draw for my family and friends. If they didn't care about a huge shared universe they'd just read webcomics.
    Most of the biggest sellers over time have been things like Watchmen, which had no previous continuity; All-Star Superman, which had no previous continuity; Batman Year One, which was basically re-writing continuity from scratch at the time; Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - again, not really big on continuity.

There is a large audience for books that people can get into without having to know a bunch of stuff (or figure out a bunch of stuff) going in. So it's good that there are all difference sorts of things out there.

War Journal Ghost Writer HauntedCastle's Avatar

I am brand spanking new to DC and I have to admit a lot of this is confusing to me. Having multiple versions of one character would be a lot to absorb much less multiple versions of multiple characters. I really wanted a good "jumping on" point so I picked up the Rebirth title as well as Batman, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns & Wonder Woman. I don't think I'll continue with Wonder Woman but the other three were pretty neat and held my interest. I can't wait to see the other Rebirth titles coming out and continuing the ones I've already snagged.