Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Well, I'll tell you what gave me the idea for this particular thread.
    Sure, I think that Rebirth is a creatively bankrupt move and I think that they are more interested in pandering longtime fans' nostalgic ego rather than telling anything really significative. But I thought that, within the limited space of each series, some creators with a strong artistic personality (i. e. Rucka) would be able to tell their own story.

But I was sincerely shocked by WW Rebirth. It doesn't even seem to be written by Rucka - it vaguely resembles his (IMHO terrible) Blackest Night special issue where WW discovers that Batman is the love of her life or something like that. It seems extremely Johns-like, and even the Aquaman special. I hadn't realized it with the first week issues - mainly because there were too few examples I could make a comparison with at that point.

It is entirely possible that future issues (if I will read them) will follow a different path, but so far I really have a strong and genuine impression of a generalized Johns-ism (and not in a good way, quite frankly).
    It's possible that Rebirth shines a light on how New52 followed a generalized Didio/Lee-ism.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Well, I'll tell you what gave me the idea for this particular thread.
    Sure, I think that Rebirth is a creatively bankrupt move and I think that they are more interested in pandering longtime fans' nostalgic ego rather than telling anything really significative. But I thought that, within the limited space of each series, some creators with a strong artistic personality (i. e. Rucka) would be able to tell their own story.

But I was sincerely shocked by WW Rebirth. It doesn't even seem to be written by Rucka - it vaguely resembles his (IMHO terrible) Blackest Night special issue where WW discovers that Batman is the love of her life or something like that. It seems extremely Johns-like, and even the Aquaman special. I hadn't realized it with the first week issues - mainly because there were too few examples I could make a comparison with at that point.

It is entirely possible that future issues (if I will read them) will follow a different path, but so far I really have a strong and genuine impression of a generalized Johns-ism (and not in a good way, quite frankly).
    It's very possible that Johns had a great deal of input on the Rebirth specials since they spin out of his idea and they set the new status quo. Wouldn't surprise me at all. I'm fine with that because I like Johns and think Rebirth itself was fantastic. However, I do think the new #1s will start to take on more of the writer of each book's voice

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Mostly positive. The issues themselves would be really unsatisfying if they were all we were getting for this month, but they're not, so the fact that these are mostly just set up/prologues/status quo establishing issues isn't that bad. I'm way too intrigued by the solicitations (Batman and WW in particular) to give up on them just yet. It's too early to tell, and this is the most interesting the DCU has been for me in a while.

Astonishing Member

On a vaguely more positive note, I think that the Batman family - unsurprisingly - is doing pretty well.
    The Batman Rebirth special was, without a doubt, the best one so far (even if I was a bit surprised by the amount of hate Duke is receiving in the Batman threads) and Detective Comics was decent - something which I didn't expect from Tynion (but Blackman's Batwoman is a distant memory).
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    The earths of the 3 Jokers could also be : pre coie earth 1, post coie clutter earth and New 52 earth 0.
    The second one is definitely Post-Crisis Joker as his attire matches his appearances in Killing Joke and JLI Annual #2.

The first one could easily be either Pre-Crisis Earth-1 or Pre-Crisis Earth-2 Joker, as they both dressed kinda similar.

And the third one appears to be the New52 Joker from Snyder's run.

So, we have 3 Jokers, a possible second Batman, Clark Kent as well as Superman, Hal Jordan and Parallax ... how many more doppelgangers/multiple versions of a character are there running around at the moment?

While there were some titles I enjoyed more then others, overall I thought each Rebirth book was fairly solid and did a good job of setting up the status quo and direction of the title (though some did better then others), and overall I'm left feeling more positive and excited for Rebirth .

Slightly negative. I'm less familiar with the DC Universe than I'm sure most on this part of the forum, so the reintroduction of some of the pre New 52 elements hasn't filled me with the delight that it probably has for many long-standing fans (I haven't disliked it either, mind )

I mostly liked the Rebirth Special itself, although I'm a little queasy about the apparent use of the Watchmen, but I found the two Rebirth issues I have read - Batman and Flash - underwhelming; flat and expository. In particular I found the extensive repetition in the Flash comic irritating and unnecessary. I understand that they're bridging comics to a new run, but even so, I can't say they greatly enthused me. That said, I'm sure I'll return to Batman - it's written by King.

But it's early days.

One final, more positive remark - the pricing was a big inducement, and it's kept me in so far, and will probably keep me in at least a little further.
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 06-08-2016 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    But if you are planning on bringing in people that have abandoned DC or want to revisit to see where things are, there is no point teasing the whole missing years and Watchmen connection unless you plan to address it now. Otherwise, people like me won't bother to keep checking in.
    I definitely see your point. I'm personally reading nothing but Marvel Comics as of right now. But I do like lurking frequently on these forums, because I like the posters here and to see what's going on in the DC Universe, just in case DC find a way to win me back again, so I don't have to be so lost if I start reading DC books again.

I personally don't like DC's views on most black characters. I don't like how they treat black characters like John Stewart. So I refuse to buy anything from them.

Fantastic Member sustainentropy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    So, we have 3 Jokers, a possible second Batman, Clark Kent as well as Superman, Hal Jordan and Parallax ... how many more doppelgangers/multiple versions of a character are there running around at the moment?
    I'd be extremely surprised if that isn't The Wrath in Detective Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by sustainentropy View Post
    I'd be extremely surprised if that isn't The Wrath in Detective Comics.
    I've only seen previews... but I was thinking DKR Batman... or Thomas Wayne Batman.

BANNED

On a vaguely more positive note, I think that the Batman family - unsurprisingly - is doing pretty well.
    The Batman Rebirth special was, without a doubt, the best one so far (even if I was a bit surprised by the amount of hate Duke is receiving in the Batman threads) and Detective Comics was decent - something which I didn't expect from Tynion (but Blackman's Batwoman is a distant memory).
    I don't understand that. Maybe I have to check the Batman threads, but i feel that it's too early for Duke to get any hate. He hasnt received a lot of development just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    I don't understand that. Maybe I have to check the Batman threads, but i feel that it's too early for Duke to get any hate. He hasnt received a lot of development just yet.
    He's had a comic series dedicated to him ("We Are Robin"), shown up in Batman and Robin Eternal, and been showing up in Batman comics for a while. He's past the wait and see stage of characterization.

Fantastic Member sustainentropy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I've only seen previews... but I was thinking DKR Batman... or Thomas Wayne Batman.
    Both are very possible, but the technology associated with the army of "Batmen" in the first issue could indicate The Wrath considering he's the C.E.O of a technology company in the New 52. My guess would be that they've altered his costume so that he looks a bit more like the original Wrath too.

So far, I am seeing at least 5 copies of Superman. 1. pre coie earth 2 superman. 2. pre coie earth 1 superman. 3. earth 0 retro silver age superman represented by the powerless married clark kent at the end of whatever happened to the man of tomorrow by alan (peace be upon him) moore. 4. earth 0 pre flashpoint married superman. 5. earth 0 new 52 unmarried superman. My guess is the earth 0 superman copy got fractured into 3 copies. There are probably also at least 5 jokers. 1. pre coie earth 2 joker. 2. pre coie earth 1 joker. 3. earth 0 retro silver age joker from the 1950s. 4. earth 0 pre flashpoint joker represented by the joker from the killing joke by alan (peace be upon him) moore. 5. earth 0 new 52 joker. My guess is the earth 0 joker got fracked into 3 copies.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 06-09-2016 at 07:27 PM.