Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Is there any comic you've felt doesn't match its appointed artist

Essentially art that you feel hinders more than helps a comic. Not so much a place to bash certain artists, but more to highlight artists who you feel don't work with the title they're placed on.

I personally feel this way towards Bachalo on Doctor Strange. While I quite like his style, I feel like Bachalo's art takes a lot of punch out of the descriptiveness, weirdness and scenario painting of the Strange book.

Invincible Member

I felt a little conflicted about Dexter Soy and Emma Rios on Capt Marvel. I think they are lovely artists and enjoy their visuals elsewhere, but maybe they weren't suited for CM.

Sandoval on New Avengers. I loved his artwork in Age of Apocalypse (Secret Wars). But I just feel his artwork doesn't match the atmosphere of an All Ewing book. Paco Medina or Marcus To, especially capture that feel.

BANNED

Not a fan of Ramos on Extraordinary X-Men at all. His character designs are far more cartoony than the (supposed) serious nature of the book requires.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    Essentially art that you feel hinders more than helps a comic. Not so much a place to bash certain artists, but more to highlight artists who you feel don't work with the title they're placed on.

I personally feel this way towards Bachalo on Doctor Strange. While I quite like his style, I feel like Bachalo's art takes a lot of punch out of the descriptiveness, weirdness and scenario painting of the Strange book.
    Funny you say Bachalo, because for a long, long time, I haven't thought he should be doing any superhero genre books. His art is far too creepy, weird, and messy for that, and his costume design generally sucks. But I think he fits well with Doctor Strange, even if I don't like how he depicts Strange.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 06-14-2016 at 04:42 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Andre Lima Araujo on Avengers A.I. a few years back. I was stoked for the book since it had two of my favorite characters, Victor Mancha who I liked a lot too, and an interesting pitch. Maybe Humphries is a hit or miss writer for some, but the story was good in itself. But the art really brought everything down IMO. When Valerio Schiti came in as "guest artist" for two issues (#5 and 6 if I'm not mistaken) those issues felt ten times better. So yeah, the art was really disappointing there, a bit too cartoony, inconsistent from one page to another, and from memory it was what readers were the most offput by in the series.

Vanesa del Rey for Spider-Women Omega really was not a good match. She is good in some genre but she was not the one who should have drawn this story.
    The rest of the cross over had great guest artists with Bengal and Joelle Jones, but she could have been used better elsewhere.

On an on going, Sandoval on new Avengers is not my jam.

BANNED

Bachalo on ASM. Bachalo on Ultimate War. Bachalo on Generation X. Bachalo on X-Men (although it fitted Morrison a little, given how his writing was on the weird side of things, too).

Quote Originally Posted by nose norton View Post
    Bachalo on ASM. Bachalo on Ultimate War. Bachalo on Generation X. Bachalo on X-Men (although it fitted Morrison a little, given how his writing was on the weird side of things, too).
    Ridic. Bachalo fits everything.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

I thought Bachalo's art really defined Generation X. When he left, so did I.

Thunderbolts.

Schultz on Nighthawk, feels like they should have someone more in the style of Maleev, Epting or Lark.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Extraordinary Member

This is hard to answer without just conflating it with "art I don't like," but I would say the current Thunderbolts. The Rob Liefeld-esque art seems out of whack with this particular franchise. It was co-created by Mark Bagley, a much more neoclassical artist, and was generally a reaction against the early '90s EXTREME style. The current art seems like a throwback to a different kind of comic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    Ridic. Bachalo fits everything.
    Check a few posts above mine, to find an explanation about why he doesn't fit superhero work. Is that reasoning also "ridic"?

Check a few posts above mine, to find an explanation about why he doesn't fit superhero work. Is that reasoning also "ridic"?
    Yes.

Why would that poster saying it be any different. Bachalo's work isn't creepy and weird so it's still ridic.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.