Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    That cathegory of idiots is more likely to love the billboard because it shows what they don't think should happen: a woman getting into a fight and getting beaten by a male.
    It totally affirms their world view.
    Your free to think that.But my point was that was that dismissing the guy argument with 'Lol people are happy with it anyway' isn't really helpful.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    Your free to think that.But my point was that was that dismissing the guy argument with 'Lol people are happy with it anyway' isn't really helpful.
    And your point was badly made in a way that doesn't make sense, using insane troll logic that doesn't even hold up to its own pretenses...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    And your point was badly made in a way that doesn't make sense, using insane troll logic that doesn't even hold up to its own pretenses...
    I'm not the one claiming that people who dislike seeing woman in combat situations want a see a billboard depicting a woman in a combat sitution (getting beat is also part of combat)

My point was pretty clear
    Last edited by Baseman; 06-11-2016 at 08:11 AM.

I do not even know wtf is being discussed right now.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    Oh, whatever, Lax.
    You seem to forget those who are pleased with Fox's decision to apologize and remove the billboard.
    Those people will gladly buy the things you are boycotting.
    lol.
    I haven't forgotten, it's not a relevant factor.

It's natural for Rose McGowan and those who think like her to be pleased, but their level of emotional gratification has no relevance on the validity of their argument.

Similarly, it's perfectly natural for bullies to be "pleased" after successfully intimidating others into submission, but their level of pleasure is not justification for the intimidation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    I haven't forgotten, it's not a relevant factor.

It's natural for Rose McGowan and those who think like her to be pleased, but their level of emotional gratification has no relevance on the validity of their argument.

Similarly, it's perfectly natural for bullies to be "pleased" after successfully intimidating others into submission, but their level of pleasure is not justification for the intimidation.
    Oh, Lax.
    Rose, and those like her, took away your billboard. A billboard you did not even care about until people who were offended by it got it removed.

Now you care because women took away your thing.
    Because a woman had a voice.
    About something you hardly took notice of until she spoke out against it.

But, I ask you, what does it matter now? The billboard is forever online for you to view, so you have not lost anything.
    But your problem is, a woman spoke and action was taken in her favor.

BANNED

Oh, Lax.
    Rose, and those like her, took away your billboard. A billboard you did not even care about until people who were offended by it got it removed.

But, I ask you, what does it matter now? The billboard is forever online for you to view, so you have not lost anything.
    The sexism in this is astounding. You should re-read what you wrote, and think about the level of Condescension in your "argument".
    You used so many false dichotomies it's crazy.
    So if a woman speaks she's always correct. If a woman doesn't speak it's sexism?
    If a woman takes an action that offends her, but not anyone else, it's okay because woman. Even when other women disagree?
    Are women now a protected class as they were in the 30's-60's?

You also assume a lot in your post. That's bad when you try to have reasonable discussions with people. One of the things about
    new wave feminism today is that they are hurting women a lot more than post-modern feminism. It's cool and great when a woman
    speaks her mind, but if her point of view is the only point of view, and others fear being labeled as sexist if they disagree. Then there's a problem.
    Because you no longer want equality, you want dominance and protection. Which is it?

BANNED

Oh, Lax.

I wouldn't care WHO spoke out about it. It could have been Clint Eastwood complaining, and it would have still been reactionary, over the top, and unwarranted.

Just because a woman spoke doesn't mean it was RIGHT.

BANNED

Oh, Lax.
    If Fox took it down due to social pressure which is lacking in sound reasoning... that is a problem.

The whole point of CBR posting the article is to bring attention to this relatively unknown billboard issue and get our various opinions on the matter.

Because Fox's billboard was perfectly fine yet they are behaving as if the advertisement was morally wrong. Meanwhile, the person who's argument was flawed to begin with has her behavior encouraged by the public submission of Fox.

When authoritarians with poor arguments are in control that's a disaster for the future and freedom of expression suffers.

Astonishing Member

Because we just can't let a billboard go? Why are people seemingly FAR more concerned about and attached to this billboard than Fox was?

It depicts violence against a woman, not "women", it's singular, not plural.
    Correct but pointless. Using the term "women" to address depictions of violence against women is not meant to be a literal description of this one billboard. Everyone knows that there is only one woman in the picture.

Again, Mystic is a woman, she is not multiple women, she is not all women. The assumption that the image on that billboard is a representation of women or men other than Mystic or Apocalypse is projection on the part of McGowan.
    Again, correct but pointless nitpick. Any depiction of individual men and women is literally about those individual men and women (or "woman," to make you happy). But they are also part of a collective whole. I don't think Fox indented for this image to be anything other than Mystique vs Apocalypse; but it is still an image of a man choking a woman. And, as such, it's merits are up for debate.

False. Additional information is provided.

"X-Men Apocalypse" "Only the strong will Survive" "May 27"

It's the title of the movie, the villain's worldview, and a release date. Collectively this data gives context to the image.
    You're correct that additional information is given. But, you make assumptions based on information not available in the image. To someone unfamiliar with the X-Men, how does s/he know the blue guy is the "villain," that the worldview expressed is his, and/or that said worldview is wrong? None of that context is available in this billboard.

As such, it becomes an image of a blue man choking a blue woman while advocating for the "strong" all as a means to entice viewers to buy a movie ticket.

Insults and shaming tactics are not an argument.

When opponents call authoritarian feminist/liberals "bullies", this type of behavior is one of the reasons as to why that is.
    Trying to insult and shame Rose as a "bully" isn't an argument either; it's just the type of "bullying" you seem to say your are against.

Sure, but being loud isn't the same as being correct.
    Goes both ways.

You've moved the goal post, these are two unrelated criticisms.

Unless the idea is that the billboard would be okay if there were more female directors in Fox, which would be malevolent sexism against men.
    You're right that the two are unrelated criticisms.

But, then you make-up and assign a conclusion not supported by any evidence as a means to create "sexism" for you to be against.

Which will, in turn, encourage more bulling in the future.

Fox, you may buy yourself five minutes of peace with an apology, but the cowardice you've shown today will only lead to worse tomorrow.
    Ah, yes, it's just not complete without the mandatory 'the world is crumbling, and I am here to save us all' trope.

How is speaking out against casual attitudes regarding violence against women "cowardice," especially given that so many have been verbally attacking her in response?

If Fox took it down due to social pressure which is lacking in sound reasoning... that is a problem.
    "Lacking in sound reasoning" according to whom? Do you speak for everyone as the Grand Judge of All That's Sound?

Because Fox's billboard was perfectly fine yet they are behaving as if the advertisement was morally wrong. Meanwhile, the person who's argument was flawed to begin with has her behavior encouraged by the public submission of Fox.

When authoritarians with poor arguments are in control that's a disaster for the future and freedom of expression suffers.
    "Perfectly fine" according to you? Are you all knowing? Have you had every life experience? Isn't it "sound" to think it's possible that people can have different views on things like billboards?

As for "freedom," aren't Rose and others free to express criticism of a image she/they finds troubling, and isn't Fox free to choose to take down a billboard even though they meant no offense? Yet, your comments here only seem concerned about the freedoms of those you agree with.
    Last edited by Awonder; 06-11-2016 at 03:24 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    The sexism in this is astounding. You should re-read what you wrote, and think about the level of Condescension in your "argument".
    You used so many false dichotomies it's crazy.
    So if a woman speaks she's always correct. If a woman doesn't speak it's sexism?
    If a woman takes an action that offends her, but not anyone else, it's okay because woman. Even when other women disagree?
    Are women now a protected class as they were in the 30's-60's?

You also assume a lot in your post. That's bad when you try to have reasonable discussions with people. One of the things about
    new wave feminism today is that they are hurting women a lot more than post-modern feminism. It's cool and great when a woman
    speaks her mind, but if her point of view is the only point of view, and others fear being labeled as sexist if they disagree. Then there's a problem.
    Because you no longer want equality, you want dominance and protection. Which is it?
    "Trying to have reasonable discussions with people," you say? Ok, show me where someone actually claimed that "if a woman speaks she's always correct." Also, show me proof that "new wave feminism today is that they are hurting women a lot more..." Doesn't seem "reasonable" at all to make up distorted claims.

Just because a woman disagrees with Rose's criticism of this billboard doesn't mean she is right, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I wouldn't care WHO spoke out about it. It could have been Clint Eastwood complaining, and it would have still been reactionary, over the top, and unwarranted.

Just because a woman spoke doesn't mean it was RIGHT.
    Did anyone here actually claim that "just because a woman spoke," it means "it was RIGHT"?

Who gets to decide what is "reactionary, over the top, and unwarranted"? I find much of the reaction to Rose's comments, and Fox's decision to remove the billboard, to be FAR more "reactionary, over the top, and unwarranted."

To be clear, my argument is not that Rose (and those that agree with her) is "right" in an objective sense. But, I don't think those disagreeing with her are objectively "right" either. Those that say it's just a picture of a super-villain fighting a super-hero have a point (and I don't think Fox meant anything more than this). But, Rose also has a point that doesn't deserve to simply be dismissed.

More importantly, Rose (and those like her) don't deserve the attacks that have happened.
    Last edited by Awonder; 06-11-2016 at 03:26 PM.

BANNED

You're right, Rose doesn't deserve threats.
    The problem is when you shut down the conversation because a certain person feels offended.
    If you can't even have the conversation, due to censoring something you feel offended by, then you're no better then the people you attack.
    Rose attacked something she didn't understand to be relevant and probably made up a BS story about the father and daughter.
    It's like Liberal college campuses censoring comedians. I'm a super liberal, and progressive, and yet sickens me when liberals act like conservatives
    and shut down conversations just to "protect" people.
    Rose should have learned the context, because it was right there in the image.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Rose should have learned the context, because it was right there in the image.
    Rose shouldn't have to learn the context of the billboard. No one should have to learn the context of a promotional billboard.
    Just because you are a fan, and you understand the context, doesn't mean it is the duty of all people who don't understand the context, to do so. For you.

It's like you don't even know how to step outside of being a fan long enough to see how non-fans would maybe view the billboard.
    It's like you don't even want to try to see it from a non-fan perspective at all.

BANNED

Rose shouldn't have to learn the context of the billboard. No one should have to learn the context of a promotional billboard.
    Just because you are a fan, and you understand the context, doesn't mean it is the duty of all people who don't understand the context, to do so. For you.

It's like you don't even know how to step outside of being a fan long enough to see how non-fans would maybe view the billboard.
    It's like you don't even want to try to see it from a non-fan perspective at all.
    Jesus Christ, it's a billboard for the eighth X-Men movie being made, I'm pretty sure people that don't even know what an X-Man is at this people still get the context. Who the hell are these people in Hollywood who don't understand whats happening in the billboard?

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Jesus Christ, it's a billboard for the eighth X-Men movie being made, I'm pretty sure people that don't even know what an X-Man is at this people still get the context. Who the hell are these people in Hollywood who don't understand whats happening in the billboard?
    I don't know. Apparently, Rose doesn't according to Tazirai since he is the one that said she should learn it.
    I mean, *I* get it because I read comics, and I know Mystique, but to me, that doesn't mean that all people should know about how these things work or that all should be okay with it.