Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Member in Disguise

"Ex-fiancee of Marilyn Manson upset over violent image."

...Expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

In withdrawing the billboard, Fox did the commercially sensible thing for promoting their movie, and I don't think they can be criticised for it. I didn't particularly like the wording of the apology, but again, it was probably a sensible move to pre-empt complaints.

Regardless of whether depicting these images is right or wrong, clearly this sort of "man choking out a woman" image has become something of a flashpoint for pressure groups. It may seem curious - by the logic expressed by Rose McGowan any depiction of violence could be seen to be problematic, given that, frankly, at least in the UK, the majority of victims of violent crime are men (as a the majority of perpetrators, of course, to be fair ). If it's any comfort to those who are annoyed by this campaign - and it probably won't be - I strongly expect that the complaints about depictions of violence are going to broaden in the coming years.

As it stands, it's just a commercial reality, and Fox made a mistake in putting the billboard by not anticipating the long litany of complaints, no matter how wearisome some evidently find them.
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 06-04-2016 at 12:22 AM.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Fox gets it:

" Fox released an official apology regarding the billboard on Friday: "In our enthusiasm to show the villainy of the character Apocalypse we didn’t immediately recognize the upsetting connotation of this image in print form. Once we realized how insensitive it was, we quickly took steps to remove those materials. We apologize for our actions and would never condone violence against women."

You people don't. No point in discussing it any further.
    You do realize apologies from corporations are meaningless, right?

People get paid to create ads that go viral, like this one.

Spectacular Member

As a girl, I'm usually sensitive to that kind of questions, but it's stupid. I mean :
    1 ) Superheroes fight all the time. So if there can't be any violence against women, there can't be any female superheroes, only love interests and damsels in distress. Which would be horrible.
    2 ) It's MYSTIQUE, for crying out loud. Not some damsel in distress, or some poor helpless victim. When you see this image, you guess she'll fight back. BTW, the X-Men are full of strong, empowered female characters ( including the most powerful of them all ), so I'd say sexism is out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Frankly she doesn't look very powerful in the billboard. She looks like a helpless woman being strangled by an angry man three times her size. Where exactly is her power shown in the billboard?
    Other than both people not looking human, there is no power being displayed. My point is that superhero women, much like women police or soldiers get into physical confrontations. This is to be expected. So the idea of being shocked or horrified when a "warrior woman" is in actual combat is a jarring thing.

This isn't that movie "Enough" with Jennifer Lopez being a normal human female getting assaulted by a guy in a domestic situation. This is superhero fantasy.

I was hoping to avoid this topic. I know it's impossible to win an argument with SJW types. However, I really don't see why this billboard has to be an issue. It's a scene taken right from the movie. It's not sending an anti-feminist message. It's the villain attacking one of the heroes, in this case Mystique. Now if it were a man on that billboard, would this be an issue? I think not. Homer still chokes Bart on a regular basis. Both Iron Man and War Machine got choked in Iron Man 2 and there was no outrage. The SJW types are just annoying selective with their outrage, so much so that it's hard to take them seriously. What exactly will removing this billboard do other than accommodate the feelings of a few SJW types? Nothing. And the SJWs will just find something else to be outraged at. It never ends with them. They are almost as bad as Apocalypse himself.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmane View Post
    McGowan's point doesn't need clarifying. A lot of guys are just not going to give a shit, no matter how you explain it.
    The thread in a nutshell.

Good on fox. At least they have a bit more perspective. (when outright told to)
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Incredible Member

Personally I don't really see why domestic vIolence was brought into this.

Admittingly I haven't seen the movie.But unless Mystique and Apocalypse are in a intimate relationship there no need to invoke such a sensitive issue here.
    Last edited by Baseman; 06-04-2016 at 07:51 AM.

Spectacular Member

The premise that this promotes violence against women is patently absurd. McGowan does not have an argument and neither does anyone defending her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fused View Post
    Well one thing is for sure no matter the side of the argument: A has been actress in no relevant work has people saying her name.
    And now the billboard is immortalized on the Internet.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Fused View Post
    Well one thing is for sure no matter the side of the argument: A has been actress in no relevant work has people saying her name.
    Oh? It was an actual actress? Who was it? (I've already forgot.)

Maybe if they made another billboard of Mystique choking Acopy Lips? You know, equality? Would that soothe all the outraged hearts?

(Okay, it wouldn't. Billions of people on the planet....billions of hearts to express outrage every which-a-way. '...' I wish I had a dime for every billboard, magazine cover, movie promo, commercial, paperback cover, and music lyric that offended me. Why, I might be able to afford health insurance premiums! Where do I sign up to be a SJW?)
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Oh? It was an actual actress? Who was it? (I've already forgot.)

Maybe if they made another billboard of Mystique choking Acopy Lips? You know, equality? Would that soothe all the outraged hearts?

(Okay, it wouldn't. Billions of people on the planet....billions of hearts to express outrage every which-a-way. '...' I wish I had a dime for every billboard, magazine cover, movie promo, commercial, paperback cover, and music lyric that offended me. Why, I might be able to afford health insurance premiums! Where do I sign up to be a SJW?)
    Rose has gone full aggro over the past year, it's a still that was taken out of context. I hope this doesn't equate to 'no beat-up women in media ever' What if it was a shot like the movie poster with Downey Jr. in Iron Man 3
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Oh for fucks sake! Really? A villain being, gasp, VILLAINOUS?! This is embarassing. This is the most blatant example of SJW (I hate that term but here, it's entirely appropriate) bullshit. I didn't realise it was important to look powerful WHEN BEING CHOKED. I didn't realise constantly looking powerful was important. Quick, let's go back to hardcore machoism when men can't look weak, but this time for women! This is the most back-asswards kind of social justice.
    Last edited by Fuzzy Barbarian; 06-04-2016 at 10:32 AM.
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Well at least it was kinda alright in the sense that it depicts how the women in the X-movies were treated so far. For a franchise with so many strong female characters it has been clearly dominated by white men so far(Wolverine, Xavier, Magneto).

Also Marvel is moving ahead with the Captain Marvel movie and there is potential for a Black Widow one.
    DC does the same with Wonder Woman and potential Harley Quinn stuff.
    What's going on over at Fox? Nothing.

Fox still has at lot of catching up to do which is funny considering their head start.
    Wow, bias much? Xavier and Magneto's popularity is obviously due to inspired casting. Not forgetting Mystique has taken a huge leap and standing in the front and center of all the movie posters (also due to inspired casting). Wolverine and Deadpool having solo films is largely due to the fact that both are the only X-men characters able to hold an ongoing without an early cancellation.

TimSmart

So women can not be hurt by a murdering villian? I see nothing wrong with showing this billboard. Women are just as powerful in the Marvel Universe, so its respectful to show that female characters hold their own against their male counter parts.