Page 52 of 115 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    August 2018 sales: http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...8/2018-08.html

Superman #2 - 77,464
    Action Comics #1002 - 61,916
    Adventures of the Super Sons #1 - 36,794
    Supergirl #21 - 28,507
    Pretty steep drop from the first issues. I hope they stabilize where they’re at now or this is going to be a short run. 40k is the cutoff for Superman I think, since that’s where Tomasi ended his run.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That steep drop is built into modern comics. The two spin-off titles had modest debuts, but 30k is just fine on titles without large orders. Those books are less likely to lose readers although it’s definitely a problem if Supergirl does. Super sons is a limited series.

If it drops below 40k I'll be concerned. But even then that would actually pretty par for course for Superman to level out there. My thing is just it makes me mad because it shouldn't be where he levels out. Its a current standard but it shouldn't be a standard that DC is satisfied with considering its freaking Superman, so I want to see a direction rise above. Nothing's done it to this point. Realistically, this probably won't either.

All that said, even if it does fall to that point, I highly doubt it spells a shorter run for Bendis. Seems like as of now he has plans for a couple years. Those numbers would get him at least that much. There'd have to be a catastrophic fall, the likes not even seen in the past two initiatives, to change that, outside of Bendis himself deciding its time to move on.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-17-2018 at 10:57 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

It's a big drop compared to previous relaunches.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 09-17-2018 at 11:05 AM.

True, its definitely fallen quicker than New 52 and Rebirth. We'll see where it leverls.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Heh can't deny some satisfaction at that steep drop for Bendis' Superman even if it's indicative of the spiralling sales of the comics industry. Also another point of note is that the Rebirth Superman comics were released twice a month so overall sales were still 80Kish. Each issue of Bendis' Superman & Action only comes out once a month so if sales fall to 40K, that's a net loss for the Bendis run.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    If it drops below 40k I'll be concerned. But even then that would actually pretty par for course for Superman to level out there. My thing is just it makes me mad because it shouldn't be where he levels out. Its a current standard but it shouldn't be a standard that DC is satisfied with considering its freaking Superman, so I want to see a direction rise above. Nothing's done it to this point. Realistically, this probably won't either.

All that said, even if it does fall to that point, I highly doubt it spells a shorter run for Bendis. Seems like as of now he has plans for a couple years. Those numbers would get him at least that much. There'd have to be a catastrophic fall, the likes not even seen in the past two initiatives, to change that, outside of Bendis himself deciding its time to move on.
    Seeing how Superman tended to be a bigger draw to the non-comics crowd, I think Superman would have to be back on newsstands to sell better. But even then, it could be that he's been away from them for so long that people don't even look anymore.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

I’m not sure about that. Plans change, especially if the sales aren’t there. If the trades don’t sell well that would be a cause to worry. Unless Bendis has a King-like contract where he’s guaranteed a certain # of issues. But as others have pointed out, the fact that he’s not double-shipping means that he’d be making less money than Tomasi if he fell to 40k.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I don't mean to compare how well King and Bendis are treated at DC, but I think it means a lot that Bendis has been given his own imprint. Superman being in the top 10 as opposed to being #1 doesn't speak ill of his star power.

I imagine they do things like give the title to Bendis and Reis precisely because they don't find it satisfying. But I wish that "40K" number wasn't randomly thrown out and getting these hypothetical statements, because that's not present right now. Superman is the best selling brand right behind Justice League, Batman, and Spider-Man. Action by itself is apparently neck and neck with the Captain America relaunch, which has been a pretty big deal for Marvel.

Weird summer, though. That month had no big event, no strong indie or X-Men presence. Just these launches really.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    Heh can't deny some satisfaction at that steep drop for Bendis' Superman even if it's indicative of the spiralling sales of the comics industry. Also another point of note is that the Rebirth Superman comics were released twice a month so overall sales were still 80Kish. Each issue of Bendis' Superman & Action only comes out once a month so if sales fall to 40K, that's a net loss for the Bendis run.
    Maybe creator pay does factor in, but you're talking about one book for $4 vs $6 for two books of the same length. Also less of a general workload and last minute fill-ins. At some point I think Mahnke had four inkers on one issue.

Well I'm certainly no expert of course. If the nuances of the math do indeed tell a different tale, then I would be nothing but pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Maybe creator pay does factor in, but you're talking about one book for $4 vs $6 for two books of the same length. Also less of a general workload and last minute fill-ins. At some point I think Mahnke had four inkers on one issue.
    That was my point, technically the previous Superman comics are now more profitable than Bendis' current Superman run because they were released twice monthly at a cheaper price. That does mean a higher number of sales at the end of the day. Though I agree monthly comics allow more quality art and a steadier workload and I remember reading somewhere that either Tomasi or Gleason said the twice monthly release schedule was exhausting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    That was my point, technically the previous Superman comics are now more profitable than Bendis' current Superman run because they were released twice monthly at a cheaper price. That does mean a higher number of sales at the end of the day. Though I agree monthly comics allow more quality art and a steadier workload and I remember reading somewhere that either Tomasi or Gleason said the twice monthly release schedule was exhausting them.
    From what I remember it was both of them, which is why they needed filler. It definitely has an effect. King’s 12 issue monthlies are typically held in higher regard than his Batman series, and I think the double-shipping issue plays into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    It's a big drop compared to previous relaunches.
    WOW.. However, I should not be surprised for this.. Bendis name was related with problems since the first time that I heard it.
    Last edited by adrikito; 09-18-2018 at 03:15 PM.

BANNED

Comixology Top 25 For The Week

Batman #55
    Justice League #8
    Mister Miracle #11
    Batman: Damned #1
    Return of Wolverine #1
    Avengers #8
    Thor #5
    Star Wars #54
    Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1
    The Immortal Hulk #6
    The Wild Storm #17
    West Coast Avengers #2
    Venom #6
    X-Men Gold #36
    Captain America Annual #1
    Nightwing #49
    Teen Titans #22
    Fantastic Four #2
    Green Lanterns #55
    Doctor Strange #5
    Aquaman #40
    Mr. and Mrs. X #3
    Infinity Wars: Soldier Supreme #1
    Black Hammer: Age of Doom #5
    Dark Nights: Metal- Deluxe Edition (20% off)

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/09...ist-nightwing/

BANNED

Bleeding Cool Top Ten For The Week

Batman: Damned #1
    Batman #55
    Return Of Wolverine #1
    Justice League #8
    Venom #6
    Mister Miracle #11
    Immortal Hulk #6
    Venom First Host #4
    Thor #5