Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
What year is it?! I've been hearing this since the 90s. Yes, one day comics as we know them will likely die out, but adapting to changing markets and not digging their feet into the sand as they have been will ensure that comic books will stick around.
Yeah, I mean, no one can deny that the industry is in bad shape, but comics have been "on the brink of total collapse" since before I started reading in 92. Yet here we are, still keeping on.

That's not to say that the industry doesn't have some huge challenges in front of it, or that it's in a dangerous position, or that a whole lot of things need to change. But the sky doesn't appear to be falling, at least not this week, and the genre (if not the floppies themselves) are enjoying a popularity they haven't had since the 40's, riding a successful larger media wave that's lasted for twenty years.

And when you factor in trade, digital, Scholastic, and the other distribution formats that comics are now being pushed through, things look better too. The direct market might die (and sooner or later it probably will) but we're finding new outlets. It's not *all* doom and gloom.