Page 73 of 115 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1711
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    I don't see cardstock section for Superman sales unless my eyes deceive me. So that means Bendis' Superman is 2K away from Tomasi and Gleason's sales figures at the end of their two year Rebirth run where Bendis is still on his first year and Action Comics is basically selling the same as, if not lower than Jurgens' run was selling. Basically we're back to square one in terms of sales for the Superman comics which will only get a boost due to the secret identity reveal in December. Sales have essentially come full circle again.
    Superman 14 was originally supposed to have a card stock variant, but the recall put a stop to that. So yeah, this month doesn't see a card stock boost.

Quote Originally Posted by ssupes View Post
    And history repeats itself once more. But even I figured it would have some legs with rucka involved but i guess not.
    Rucka's my favorite comic writer, but I don't think his name has ever been much of a draw for people. Maybe his indie work getting a Hollywood push this year may change that.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s Frank Miller and Romita Jr on the book. Miller has become very controversial and plenty of people dislike Romita Jr’s. Art. Plus it’s another origin story when we’ve had something like three in this decade alone. People are bored of the same tired old journey from Smallville that we’ve seen over and over. DC needs to put a ban on Superman origin stories because people are bored of them.
    Do you think a limited project about Superman could've better sales if it isn't an origin story?

Meanwhile while the argument continues over Rebirth vs. Bendis, I just have to point out that Morrison and Pak's Action Comics kicked both of their asses, lol.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Meanwhile while the argument continues over Rebirth vs. Bendis, I just have to point out that Morrison and Pak's Action Comics kicked both of their asses, lol.
    While Morrison's run did, of course, but did Pak's? I don't think that's right.
    Currently Reading:

They both did. Sold more and its lowest point was higher than Bendis Action or Rebirth Action's lows. That's just comparing Action though, not the Superman title. Tomasi Superman did better than the merry-go-round N52 Superman title. Pretty sure though by comparison N52 Action even trumps Tomasi's Superman.

Both of Bendis's runs are lower than both Rebirth and New 52 all-around though.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-16-2019 at 03:03 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mighty Member

They both did. Sold more and at a stable level. Just Action though, not the Superman title.
    But Pak started with 46K in his first month and dropped to 37K the second month. I'm not sure what metric you're using, but I'm not seeing it.
    Currently Reading:

I saw a graph on reddit a while back, I'll search for it. But it didn't support that idea that it fell so low consistently.

Here it is, an explanation in the opening about the process that went into it. I haven't seen any challenges to the metrics he was using, but others can take a look (I'm not a math/numbers guy, I never have been, I rely on the work of others, full disclosure):
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co...he_last_three/
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-16-2019 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    But Pak started with 46K in his first month and dropped to 37K the second month. I'm not sure what metric you're using, but I'm not seeing it.
    And went up around the 50k range during the Doomed crossover. Hard doing a comparison when sales are so different from arc to arc.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Naomi became a speculator darling though, in no small part to the fact that people are assuming she'll be the next Miles Morales. There was about a week where the Action Comics 1003 variant was selling for like $25 on eBay because some moron said it was her first appearance.

Lois & Jimmy are selling pretty well for what they are - second tier books in the greater Superman franchise. Batgirl, Nightwing, Batman & The Outsiders, RH&TO all are in the same or worse position. Honestly, the fact that they are in that range is pretty good considering Batman and Detective have stronger followings and higher floors than Superman and Action Comics. Not to mention they are in the ballpark of Aquaman, which Lois actually outsold.
    However, Naomi was terrible seller at first. I think sales start to improve in Naomi #4. So, it wasn't just speculation. They should see the book has demand.

Now, you can't really compare sales of Lois and Jimmy in issue 2 with the Batfamily books that have a lot more issues (except maybe Outsiders). I mean it's pretty likely sales of a comic will fall a lot after issue 2.

PS: Also, Batgirl has a regular and a Card Stock version in August.
    Last edited by Konja7; 09-16-2019 at 03:15 PM.

It doesn't look like Pak got over 50K except during Doomed. It was in the low 40's before Doomed, spiked into the mid-50's, but was at like high 30's by like issue 37 or so.

Superman under Johns was barely over 50K by issue 37 as well. SMWW was at like 41K and BMSM was at 44K. Doomed gave them all a little spike, but it didn't last. That's just peaking at Comichron.

Mighty Member

I saw a graph on reddit a while back, I'll search for it. But it didn't support that idea that it fell so low consistently.

Here it is, an explanation in the opening about the process that went into it. I haven't seen any challenges to the metrics he was using, but others can take a look:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co...he_last_three/
    Looking at it and I don't think Pak is included in that graph. It's just the first 13 months of Action in the New 52, which all would have been Morrison. So I don't think this says anything about Pak.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    And went up around the 50k range during the Doomed crossover. Hard doing a comparison when sales are so different from arc to arc.
    I think usually you have to look at Crossovers as outliers or extenuating circumstances, like variant covers and such. There's certainly nothing wrong with it. It's a fair way to boost sales, but it alone doesn't pulled that run over Tomasi or Bendis.
    Currently Reading:

Oh its just the first 13 months? That may be the disconnect, when I saw it I was thinking it was the totality of the eras.

Mighty Member

Oh its just the first 13 months? That may be the disconnect, when I saw it I was thinking it was the totality of the eras.
    I should say 13 issues. Which amounts to basically the same thing for Bendis and Morrison. But for Tomasi the first 13 issues would have been the first seven months.
    Currently Reading:

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Do you think a limited project about Superman could've better sales if it isn't an origin story?
    Yes. Also obviously the creative team is important as well. If Geoff Johns or Scott Snyder or Jonathan Hickman were the writers, and the artists were A-Listers too? You would definitely see stronger sales. Obviously the quality of the work counts too but I stand by my belief that people are fed up with Superman origin stories. They’re fed up with Bats and Spidey origin stories too, it’s why MCU Spidey didn’t get one and neither will the Reeves reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yes. Also obviously the creative team is important as well. If Geoff Johns or Scott Snyder or Jonathan Hickman were the writers, and the artists were A-Listers too? You would definitely see stronger sales. Obviously the quality of the work counts too but I stand by my belief that people are fed up with Superman origin stories. They’re fed up with Bats and Spidey origin stories too, it’s why MCU Spidey didn’t get one and neither will the Reeves reboot.
    If such a project will ever get made (soon, I hope), I'd be curious to see if there'll be a substantial sales difference. I still think it's the SM brand that as a whole (not just the origin) is less appealing than it was (or could/should be).