Page 83 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3373798081828384858687 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1314
  1. #1231
    Mighty Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m going to say that 5G as it was planned under Didio will be cancelled. I may end up being wrong but I don’t think we’ll see Jon Kent become Superman or Luke Fox become Batman anymore. Hopefully for Superman this will mean good things. No more constant retelling of his origin story for one.
    I would not be surprised if it gets shunted off into an imprint or the OGN line (it's not called INK anymore). All of these big publishing initiatives were his work. I think more will come down to whether Jim Lee and Bob Harras stick around or if they bring in someone to take over and those two get shunted off. Lee has had a lot of involvement in the TV and Movie side, so I think it's likely he either sticks around or transitions over to those.

    This could be the start of a really massive change in the way they do things honestly. It's going to be interesting to see where things go from here.

  2. #1232
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3,898

    Default

    Didio was such a mixed bag for Superman that it’s hard to say how I feel about him.

    Good:
    Realized Byrne’s MoS sucked and let Waid do Birthright
    Got Morrison back from Marvel and let him do ASS
    Put Morrison in charge of rebooting Superman for the New 52
    Supported Super Sons
    (Controversial opinion incoming) Got Bendis on Superman

    Bad:
    Walked back Waid’s Birthright and started the trend of countless retellings of Supes origin
    Put Eddie B in charge of the Superbooks as a “punishment”
    Kept Jurgens around

    Nothing I wrote is meant to be objective, it’s totally 100% my opinion. A thoroughly mixed bag with some good and some bad. I don’t hate Didio the way Titans and Wally fans do but I can’t say I feel bad about him leaving.

  3. #1233
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    20,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Im going to say that 5G as it was planned under Didio will be cancelled. I may end up being wrong but I dont think well see Jon Kent become Superman or Luke Fox become Batman anymore. Hopefully for Superman this will mean good things. No more constant retelling of his origin story for one.
    Or if they do, they won't last long.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  4. #1234
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m going to say that 5G as it was planned under Didio will be cancelled. I may end up being wrong but I don’t think we’ll see Jon Kent become Superman or Luke Fox become Batman anymore. Hopefully for Superman this will mean good things. No more constant retelling of his origin story for one.
    I would certainly be happy if this happened. But then again you always have to beware of a be careful what you wish for situation. If it gets iced what replaces it, is it at all cohesive or is it just another big mess in the making trying to figure a bunch of new stuff out, etc etc.

    In the end I think he tends to get more of a bad rap than he deserves. He's got quite a lot of good things under his belt to go with the bad. Me hating this particular upcoming initiative doesn't change that. So I wish him the best.

    Honestly I would have been more happy if Harras was out. He's still a big negative. And with Lee staying on I doubt he goes anywhere.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-21-2020 at 04:09 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "Your boos mean nothing, Ive seen what makes you cheer!

  5. #1235
    Mighty Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    IGN has an interesting note from a source, so take it with a grain of salt:

    IGN spoke to a source with knowledge of the situation who said that DiDio has always been known for being a traditionalist whose primary focus was taking care of the direct comics market, but now the company is moving its focus more towards brands and franchises
    https://www.ign.com/articles/dc-comi...after-18-years

    If they are finally realizing that the direct market is a dinosaur and moving on from that, that is probably a good thing. Might mean more OGN's and self contained stories like Smashes the Klan.

  6. #1236
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    144

    Default

    With Didio gone, here’s what DC needs:

    A more streamlined continuity. I miss the old days where if something happened in Action Comics, you heard about it in Damage. It’s getting better, don’t get me wrong. The Superman reveal has reverberated throughout the line, but there should be less confusion. I know this may not set well with some of the newer fans, but the reason Marvel was the monster it was in the 80s & 90’s is because Jim Shooter ran a tight ship, but still made working for Marvel at least somewhat enjoyable. The connectivity of the line was important. If made fans of the bigger books give smaller titles a chance. DC has this in the 90s. DC needs to go back to tight cohesion with their titles while giving creators freedom to tell their stories as long as it fits with the rest of the line.

  7. #1237
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3,898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I would certainly be happy if this happened. But then again you always have to beware of a be careful what you wish for situation. If it gets iced what replaces it, is it at all cohesive or is it just another big mess in the making trying to figure a bunch of new stuff out, etc etc.

    In the end I think he tends to get more of a bad rap than he deserves. He's got quite a lot of good things under his belt to go with the bad. Me hating this particular upcoming initiative doesn't change that. So I wish him the best.

    Honestly I would have been more happy if Harras was out. He's still a big negative. And with Lee staying on I doubt he goes anywhere.
    Harras sucks and needs to go, that much I can definitely agree on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    IGN has an interesting note from a source, so take it with a grain of salt:



    https://www.ign.com/articles/dc-comi...after-18-years

    If they are finally realizing that the direct market is a dinosaur and moving on from that, that is probably a good thing. Might mean more OGN's and self contained stories like Smashes the Klan.
    If that’s the goal I support it. The problem is it’s full of dumb buzzwords like “focusing on brands and franchises”. What the hell does that mean? DC is already obsessed with the Batman franchise and to a lesser degree the JL franchise. It’s not like DC is out here trying to make their C-Listers the focus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly Frankenstein View Post
    With Didio gone, here’s what DC needs:

    A more streamlined continuity. I miss the old days where if something happened in Action Comics, you heard about it in Damage. It’s getting better, don’t get me wrong. The Superman reveal has reverberated throughout the line, but there should be less confusion. I know this may not set well with some of the newer fans, but the reason Marvel was the monster it was in the 80s & 90’s is because Jim Shooter ran a tight ship, but still made working for Marvel at least somewhat enjoyable. The connectivity of the line was important. If made fans of the bigger books give smaller titles a chance. DC has this in the 90s. DC needs to go back to tight cohesion with their titles while giving creators freedom to tell their stories as long as it fits with the rest of the line.
    That won’t work anymore. DC has tried that with stuff like Supergirl heavily tying into Bendis Superman and Nightwing turning into Ric because he got shot in the head over in Batman. It doesn’t boost sales. Trying to force people to buy everything to keep up just means most people won’t even bother checking out anything.

  8. #1238
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m going to say that 5G as it was planned under Didio will be cancelled. I may end up being wrong but I don’t think we’ll see Jon Kent become Superman or Luke Fox become Batman anymore. Hopefully for Superman this will mean good things. No more constant retelling of his origin story for one.
    I think we're likely too deep into the 5G stuff to put the brakes on completely. Creators are already probably well into their plans, and it takes time to change direction. 5G might not end up lasting, but if it gets tossed, then that's just another huge shift/reboot/direction change within ten years. That's not good for the industry either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    IGN has an interesting note from a source, so take it with a grain of salt:

    https://www.ign.com/articles/dc-comi...after-18-years

    If they are finally realizing that the direct market is a dinosaur and moving on from that, that is probably a good thing. Might mean more OGN's and self contained stories like Smashes the Klan.
    I think they've known for a long time the direct market is a dead end that'll kill us all. The problem is escaping it. Didio might be a traditionalist but he's the guy who brought us same-day digital, the earth-1 OGN's, and imprints designed to cater to new fans. He knew we needed to get away from the Diamond Deal, he just couldn't pull the entire company out of it. And really, expecting one guy to be able to do that is asking too much of anyone.

    I know everyone is excited about this, but let's hold off on breaking out the good scotch. We don't know how it's going to end, who will replace Didio, nothing. Y'all gonna be super happy when Harras or Lee takes over?
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  9. #1239
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3,898

    Default

    Lee is already taking over. Dude is the CCO and the only remaining publisher far as I can tell he’s basically running DC now. He did give us New Super-Man though so Lee isn’t all bad, just like Didio wasn’t. Maybe Lee will give Yang a Black Label book!

  10. #1240
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    48,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Lee is already taking over. Dude is the CCO and the only remaining publisher far as I can tell he’s basically running DC now. He did give us New Super-Man though so Lee isn’t all bad, just like Didio wasn’t. Maybe Lee will give Yang a Black Label book!
    People have been asking exactly what Lee does with the company...I guess now is the time to find out .

  11. #1241
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,292

    Default

    reason why didio was fired bleeding cool article
    Bleeding cool say it was because of fostering a poor work environment and also 5G might have been a reason.
    Edit- if 5G is the reason didio got the boot. That would mean bendis has tiny bit of hand in that. Since, bendis seems to be the proponent of it. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-21-2020 at 10:10 PM.

  12. #1242
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    25

    Default

    I just heard from Ethan Van Sciver that if 5G does not work out, AT&T is considering closing DC comics

  13. #1243
    Astonishing Member vasir12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,671

    Default

    Sciver isn't really a reliable source for anything.

  14. #1244
    Incredible Member Superbat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dralokonda View Post
    I just heard from Ethan Van Sciver that if 5G does not work out, AT&T is considering closing DC comics
    EVS doesn't have any insider information anymore. He's just another alt-right troll.
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

  15. #1245
    Mighty Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    EVS has been saying that for like the last year and various CG websites have been "reporting" on that as well. I don't believe that is anything more than pure speculation to feed their various ongoing conspiracy theories and drive up their YouTube videos.

    The report about tension between Didio and Snyder is pretty interesting though. Makes Snyder's "I'm on a boat" tweets as this was all going down seem kinda funny. Though some of the reasoning there definitely seems to conflict with the IGN report. It's supposedly the direct market retailers who are all afraid of 5G and IGN makes it sound like it was Didio's moves to prop them up that was one of the issues that led to this. While the idea that 5G's anticipated poor reception is a driving factor conflicts with that if WB's wants to start really moving away from the Direct Market. Though maybe it's the concept of yet another "event" to prop up sales for a few months before they crater again just seems like throwing good money after bad for AT&T now. They have to know the cycle of these events by now. It's possible that they just want to start transitioning away from it completely.

    I'm kinda skeptical that 3 or 4 editors leaving was any kind of real factor considering the HR disasters he's actually survived in the past.
    Last edited by Yoda; 02-22-2020 at 07:09 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •