Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by suemorphplus209 View Post
    It just feels like "I get your point" though.
    If everyone only stated a point of view once, would we have a forum, though? We wouldn't tell SuperDad and SuperJon fans "Hey, I get your point. Stop talking now." every time they said something good, would we? Or that they don't belong on a sales thread to discuss the numbers?

To some extent, people should also realize that I made like a one paragraph post addressing my thoughts on the latest Rebirth book debuting at it's lowest first day chart position to date. Then people denounced me with a whole bunch of posts, which I responded to, and they they responded to those, and so on. If people had just sort of shrugged and let me happy for my paragraph, it wouldn't be very disruptive at all.

I do think that they know that not everyone is on board with the changes though, but in this climate, they just have to make their pick as to whom they are going to please.
    They could do two separate Superman books and put one Superman in an alternate universe. They publish something like 50 issues of comics a month. There are room for two visions of Superman to run concurrently. In fact, they could do it without even adding issues- just give one Superman Action Comics and the other one the Superman title, or make those two titles single-shipped instead of double-shipped, giving them room for two more books without increasing the number of issues.

Marvel has multiple versions of almost all their top characters now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    there isn't any reason that if superdad fail DC will go back to new52perman. Why would they go back a unsuccessful version of the character?
    u may say: what about post-crises?
    another case, it took decades to fall sales and he was still very well accepted by the fandom. most of media is inspired on postcrises.
    I think new52 Superman has more potential for upward growth. You do a version of Superman designed to appeal to a bygone area, and you won't get much readership below a certain age. You do a version of Superman designed for kids, and you'll get kids below high school age and a few old people that like family things. New52 is a more modern Superman that has better potential for demographic growth than either of the SuperDad models (It isn't clear to me which of the two targets they are aiming for with SuperDad, but it's one or the one). A 20 or 30-something Superman who's single with a modern suit and PG-13 or even R-rated storylines (Which new52 Superman wasn't quite, but could be) gets you 18-54s and some younger and older people as well (Teenagers like to read adult things).

However, you're right, if SuperDad and SuperJon fail, they might not go back to new52 Superman. They might try another complete reboot. I would prefer spinning the reboot roulette wheel again to the status quo- not as much as I'd prefer them just bringing new52 Superman back, but I would still prefer it to what's happening now.

Short of that, I suppose they could try killing off the Jon character and seeing how SuperDad would do as just Superman, and take him back to the Daily Planet and try to genericize him and toss some of the new52 memories into the pot- that would also be an improvement over the present (Although not to the same degree). But I don't really know why you'd keep around SuperDad with SuperJon gone, since thematically it seems like SuperDad only exists to be a SuperJon delivery mechanism. Like, they didn't bring him back to bring *him* back, they brought him back because it gives them a way to put the 10 year old superhero in the stories of a top selling title as a top character, which for some reason they really really wanted to do, though I can't for the life of me figure out why. My guess is that if Jon is gone, SuperDad follows.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 07-16-2016 at 09:10 PM.