Page 6 of 69 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 1035
  1. #76
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    On the topic of movies and tv shows affecting comic sales. It can to a certain extent, but not by a huge margin. For example, the Doctor Strange comic was selling well digitally from the start, but after the trailer came out, it started charting better than comics than used to chart better than it. This wasn't a massive jump though, because it only moved up around 2 or so places.

    The Walking Dead does very well digitally, and that's got to have something to do with the tv show.
    I suspect that films and shows have a more direct impact on digital, since the general audience is more likely to download an app than find a hobby shop, but that's hard to track, as you've highlighted. And even then, as you also said, the impact on monthlies seems to be minimal; you see bigger shifts in sales with new creative teams, a lot of the time it seems.

    One thing that the films and larger media stuff can do is build up some interest in lesser known properties. Guardians of the Galaxy and Walking Dead being the biggest (perhaps only?) examples.

    In another thread we're talking about DC's upper management, and Ive been saying that they (along with Marvel) have failed to capitalize on the popularity of the genre. Looking at movie Box Office returns, you'd think comics sold a hell of a lot better, but lots of people still dont even realize comics are still being printed.

    To my mind, failing to maximize on that, and allowing comics to become cheap IP farms, is perhaps the biggest sin of the industry in the last forty years.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  2. #77
    Incredible Member SuperCrab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Do we really need to keep the classic Superman setup, though?
    The premise of the post I was replying to seemed to be that, yes, we do. I was just taking it and running with it with the purposes of my reply. You're right that it's a debatable premise. I just didn't want to get into all that at the time I was posting.

  3. #78
    Mighty Member L.R Johansson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Scandinavia
    Posts
    1,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I suspect that films and shows have a more direct impact on digital, since the general audience is more likely to download an app than find a hobby shop, but that's hard to track, as you've highlighted. And even then, as you also said, the impact on monthlies seems to be minimal; you see bigger shifts in sales with new creative teams, a lot of the time it seems.

    One thing that the films and larger media stuff can do is build up some interest in lesser known properties. Guardians of the Galaxy and Walking Dead being the biggest (perhaps only?) examples.

    In another thread we're talking about DC's upper management, and Ive been saying that they (along with Marvel) have failed to capitalize on the popularity of the genre. Looking at movie Box Office returns, you'd think comics sold a hell of a lot better, but lots of people still dont even realize comics are still being printed.

    To my mind, failing to maximize on that, and allowing comics to become cheap IP farms, is perhaps the biggest sin of the industry in the last forty years.
    Walking Dead and Guardians are the two only obvious examples, however... there is actually two other - which are less obvious.

    IRON MAN* and BLACK PANTHER!


    Iron Man was an A-lister in comics prior to his movie, but he was far from a cultural phenomenon, mostly unknown outside of comics. Now though, he's become a phenomenon comparable to Superman, Batman and Spider-man, which is one h*lluva' promotion. It didn't affect his comics-sales though...

    Black Panther likewise - although in his case, if what we're seeing is correct - it might be an even greater effect! : O Time will tell. With his new comic charting in both print and digital as the most sold comic in a long time, it does look like the Panther is about to become a phenomenon.

    *(SAY IT... with a sort of Black Sabbath -like voice...!)

  4. #79
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Vinyl Mayhem
    Posts
    3,425

    Default

    Day 6



    Superman Rebirth #1 moves up number 2, while Walking Dead moves down to number 3. Walking Dead has outsold Ms Marvel when released on the same day, and is a huge seller when it comes to digital.

    Minimum sales at 6006.

  5. #80
    Astonishing Member vasir12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,487

    Default

    Superman actually moved up in the final day. That's nice.

  6. #81
    Extraordinary Member adrikito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    It's increible how happy they are old fans since last days of superman.. They do not stop buying to see this.

  7. #82
    Mighty Member L.R Johansson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Scandinavia
    Posts
    1,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    Day 6

    http://i68.tinypic.com/wgoj9w.png

    Superman Rebirth #1 moves up number 2, while Walking Dead moves down to number 3. Walking Dead has outsold Ms Marvel when released on the same day, and is a huge seller when it comes to digital.

    Minimum sales at 6006.
    I'm a bit surprised to not see Ms Marvel in that list - has it been dropping readers? Or is it just because the other comics on the list are, other than TWD, in essence, Event-comics? I recall seeing a similar pattern for print when they tally up the sales.

    Btw, are you as dumb-struck as me, to see GREEN ARROW of all titles as a best-seller?? : O I have seen ZERO buzz about that book online, and his role in the Rebirth-special was very small. Who are even the creative team?? Also, haven't Green Arrow always been a low seller?

    Kind of cool for his fan though, I suppose. Hmm... maybe that's a book to look out for... hmm.


    Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    It's incredible how happy the old fans are since last days of superman.. They do not stop buying to see this.
    Well, of course they're happy - they've got their version back. (although logcally, they've had him back for close to a year now, so it's a little bit surprising)

    But, I'm not entirely convinced this is about lapsed Superdad-readers coming back to the title, as much as it is generally lapsed readers, and new, intrigued readers, coming in to take a look at the latest relaunch of Superman.

    Superman IS a big, iconic, well-known character after all - it's logical that there would be a lot of interest and curiosity in his latest iteration. (I don't think most people are even aware that this is an older version of the character returning, or that there even ARE different versions)

    Captain America and Spider-man for instance, or Batman even, doesn't quite have the same version-differentiation as Superman. The version non-knowledge is something I see when fans of these characters come in from other media all the time - like:

    "Wait, why is Spider-man a CEO now??"

    "Hold up - I thought Superman was DEAD?!"

    Are a few examples of conversations I've had, with people from outside our own ultra-hardcore... uh, core of fans.
    Last edited by L.R Johansson; 06-08-2016 at 01:48 PM.

  8. #83
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    Walking Dead and Guardians are the two only obvious examples, however... there is actually two other - which are less obvious.

    IRON MAN* and BLACK PANTHER!


    Iron Man was an A-lister in comics prior to his movie, but he was far from a cultural phenomenon, mostly unknown outside of comics. Now though, he's become a phenomenon comparable to Superman, Batman and Spider-man, which is one h*lluva' promotion. It didn't affect his comics-sales though...

    Black Panther likewise - although in his case, if what we're seeing is correct - it might be an even greater effect! : O Time will tell. With his new comic charting in both print and digital as the most sold comic in a long time, it does look like the Panther is about to become a phenomenon.

    *(SAY IT... with a sort of Black Sabbath -like voice...!)
    Well, I dont know if we can count Iron Man as a property who has seen an improvement in sales due to the movies. Its been eight years since Iron Man 1, and sales on the comics only skyrocketed when Bendis launched a new volume with a A-list artist.

    Panther....that's hard to say. Obviously the new series is doing wonderfully (which makes me so very glad to see!) but is that because of Civil War, or because of Coates, who has quite the following, or because of the slow build-up we've seen for the Panther since Hickman's Fantastic Four run? Or all of the above? Myself, Im inclined to think its a combination of many factors, but I doubt Civil War was a main reason for Panther's sales.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  9. #84
    Mighty Member L.R Johansson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Scandinavia
    Posts
    1,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, I dont know if we can count Iron Man as a property who has seen an improvement in sales due to the movies. Its been eight years since Iron Man 1, and sales on the comics only skyrocketed when Bendis launched a new volume with a A-list artist.
    Not really questioning that though - I figure Panther and early Guardians are the only ones where a movie has affected sales of the comics at all. Sorry if that was unclear.

    With Iron Man I meant more that in an overall sense, his movie was a tremendously big thing for the character, and really brought him out for the mainstream audience.

    When compared to Batman, Superman, Spider-man and the X-men, perhaps even the FF, I wouldn't say their movies did QUITE as much for their characters (bat-mania not-with-standing), since they were already iconic prior. Because of the movie, Iron Man is in their league now though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Panther....that's hard to say. Obviously the new series is doing wonderfully (which makes me so very glad to see!) but is that because of Civil War, or because of Coates, who has quite the following, or because of the slow build-up we've seen for the Panther since Hickman's Fantastic Four run? Or all of the above? Myself, Im inclined to think its a combination of many factors, but I doubt Civil War was a main reason for Panther's sales.
    Oh, definitely - it's a bit of a perfect storm here. I suppose where I'm coming from is that I feel the CW-appearance is the biggest component - but it wouldn't work without all of these other things, no.

  10. #85
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,805

    Default

    Ah, okay. Yeah, we're on the same page.

    Though I disagree that Iron Man has hit the same level as Bats, Supes, Diana, and Peter Parker. Iron Man is a huge deal, absolutely, but you cant compare the last eight years to the last 80. Stark is the current favorite flavor, due almost entirely to Robert Downy Jr's amazing performance; Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Spider-Man are true, global icons bigger than their humble, comic book origins, and everyone is practically born with them imprinted on their DNA.

    Now, if Iron Man remains as huge after Downy steps away from the role, if he remains as popular in another ten years, then I think you'll have an argument for Stark reaching that level of the true icons. But until then? We've seen other characters rise and fall like this and none of them have had the staying power of DC's Trinity and the Spider.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  11. #86
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Vinyl Mayhem
    Posts
    3,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    I'm a bit surprised to not see Ms Marvel in that list - has it been dropping readers? Or is it just because the other comics on the list are, other than TWD, in essence, Event-comics? I recall seeing a similar pattern for print when they tally up the sales.
    It's because there was no new issue of Ms Marvel last week. The highest charting comics are new releases.

    For example, DC Rebirth #1 was at the number 1 position for the first 8 days of its release. Since then it's been charting lower and lower, currently at the number 7 position. Usually the majority of a comic's sales are on its first week.

    Normally, it's very rare for a comic that's been out for more than a week to chart higher than the number 19 position, unless it's price has been cut and it's on sale.

    Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    Btw, are you as dumb-struck as me, to see GREEN ARROW of all titles as a best-seller?? : O I have seen ZERO buzz about that book online, and his role in the Rebirth-special was very small. Who are even the creative team?? Also, haven't Green Arrow always been a low seller?

    Kind of cool for his fan though, I suppose. Hmm... maybe that's a book to look out for... hmm.
    I'm actually not that surprised.

    The new number #1 makes it a perfect entry point for fans of the Arrow TV show to start reading Green Arrow comics.

    What I have found surprising is that the writer of Green Arrow has said its print sales are upwards of 90, 000, which makes it one of the best selling Green Arrow comics ever. I expected to see an increase in print sales, but not by so much.

  12. #87
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Vinyl Mayhem
    Posts
    3,425

    Default

    Day 7

    Superman Rebirth #1 is still number two on the charts.

    Minimum sales at 7008.

  13. #88
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,805

    Default

    The Arrow thing is a real surprise to me. I mean, Percy hasn't had a very popular run on the title and there wasn't much, if any, marketing hype being built around it.

    Was Rebirth marketed on the CW shows? I stream my tv through Hulu and Netflix and whatnot so I have no idea. That might account for some of the sales, as well as Dinah's return to the title and, of course, the return of the facial hair, which has been a talking point for five years.

    Its great to see whatever the reason.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  14. #89
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,947

    Default

    Is this just keeping track of the one issue? Has anything come up about the newest comic, #957?

  15. #90
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Vinyl Mayhem
    Posts
    3,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Is this just keeping track of the one issue? Has anything come up about the newest comic, #957?
    Not yet.

    The chart should be updated in less than 24 hours from now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •