Page 5 of 115 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    It's really hard to determine that given the poor insight we have into their metrics or market performance. But what we do see is that they perform about the same against Marvel as they have for years. People assume that these huge movies will translate and it seems unrealistic when you see all sorts of Marvel properties blow up (compared to a few Batmen and a modest Superman presence) and have it fail to significantly transform the comic consumer culture.

I'm more than fine admitting that my insight as a consumer is irrelevant, but in my experience I have to say that small increases don't usually result in sacking senior management.
    Every report and study I have found says that movies and tv shows dont really impact comic sales. Trades see a nice uptick around the month of a film debut and that can last a month or three, but thats about it. However, comic sales aside, DC hasn't done everything they could do to capitalize on the momentum the genre has gained either. They control three of the four biggest and most recognized superheroes on earth, so perhaps they felt they didnt need to push as hard? Seems complacent but possible.

Bottom line is the current comics distribution system doesnt reach the potential audience, and the industry is too scared (and perhaps too broke) to make the necessary changes. Sure, comics are largely just IP farms these days.....but nothing says they have to be. They could, had things played out differently, have gained some of the ground they lost in the past and be selling far better than they are. Seems to me that an IP farm that makes bank on its own is better than an IP farm that breaks even on its own. Especially when the larger-media stuff often fails (as is DC's case).

Its true though, that its virtually impossible to know who came up with what idea or who ultimately gave it the green light. However, because we're on the wrong side of it and will never know the details (which are none of our business anyway), the way I see it is upper management get blamed for the stuff that goes wrong, so by that logic we might as well give them credit for the stuff that goes right too. Whoever came up with the same day digital had to have someone in upper management approve it (most likely anyway) just like someone in upper management had to approve stuff like Cry For Justice.

And yeah, I forgot Archie started doing same-day-digital before DC. I believe a few other indies (I wanna say Dark Horse?) did as well. But....do they really count? Its not like they're in the same league as Marvel and DC, or even Image really. I suppose credit where credit is due, but does Archie really work on the same level as the big companies, move product in a similar fashion (isnt most of their stuff digests?), or compare evenly at all? Ive always seen Archie the same way I see manga; a similar product created and marketed for largely different audiences with different distribution models and expectations. But since my lack of knowledge of Archie is extensive I could be absolutely wrong on that.

Minor increases or decreases aren't worth sacking upper management....and Im not suggesting otherwise. There are however, qualitative factors at play that *might* be worth a pink slip, such as a stark drop in consumer confidence, continual under-performance, or failing to take advantage of opportunities when they knock on the door. Perhaps these X factors are worth firing Didio and co., perhaps not. Without a whole lot of paperwork DC/WB arent likely to provide to me, I cant do more than guess.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

On the topic of movies and tv shows affecting comic sales. It can to a certain extent, but not by a huge margin. For example, the Doctor Strange comic was selling well digitally from the start, but after the trailer came out, it started charting better than comics than used to chart better than it. This wasn't a massive jump though, because it only moved up around 2 or so places.

The Walking Dead does very well digitally, and that's got to have something to do with the tv show.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    where do you get the 3002 from?
    I explained this in the first post. It's based on how much a comic would have to sell in order to be at a certain position on the best sellers list. If the last comic on the list sells 1 copy, then the one ahead of it has to sell 2 copies, etc. Based on Superman Rebirth #1 having been number 4 on the list for one day, and then number 3 ever since, it has to have sold at least 3002 copies so far.

BANNED

By the way, I am only keeping track of the US chart. Comixology has different charts for different regions, for example on the UK charts, Superman Rebirth #1 is actually number 2, and on the French charts it's still at number 3 but the number 1 comic isn't Batman Rebirth but The Walking Dead, and even Green Lantern Rebirth and Green Arrow Rebirth are selling better than Civil War 2.

But I'm not going to track those, because it would take too much time, especially after new releases.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 06-07-2016 at 05:10 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Also I saw something elsewhere that Green Arrow Rebirth may have sold in the neighborhood of 90,000. If that is true, Superman Rebirth sold at least 100,000 plus. If that's all accurate then this is the best selling Superman issue in years, maybe since the new 52 launch itself.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

BANNED

Yes, Superman Rebirth #1's print sales should be at least 100, 000.

For comparison, New 52 Green Arrow #1 sold an estimated 55,512 copies. Green Arrow Rebirth #1 has sold upwards of 90, 000. That increase could be due the new number #1 attracting fans of Arrow, so we might not see such a huge increase for the Super books compared to when the #1s of the Super Books, but Superman Rebirth #1 will definitely beat Superman #1 in print sales, and with the addition of digital sales it could sell more than Action Comics #1, even if it doesn't in print sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    By the way, I am only keeping track of the US chart. Comixology has different charts for different regions, for example on the UK charts, Superman Rebirth #1 is actually number 2, and on the French charts it's still at number 3 but the number 1 comic isn't Batman Rebirth but The Walking Dead, and even Green Lantern Rebirth and Green Arrow Rebirth are selling better than Civil War 2.

But I'm not going to track those, because it would take too much time, especially after new releases.
    #2 in the UK is cool.

Does anyone have the sales data for Action #1 and Superman #1 from 2011 to compare? Thanks.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Does anyone have the sales data for Action #1 and Superman #1 from 2011 to compare? Thanks.
    From what I could find, Action was 153,855 and Superman was 94,233.

Edit: Source http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...1/2011-10.html

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    From what I could find, Action was 153,855 and Superman was 94,233.

Edit: Source http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...1/2011-10.html
    Ah. Thanks. So it has at least beat the previous Superman #1. I doubt it'll top the ACTION sales due to the Morrison factor there but I'm interested in seeing where final sales for the special top out at. Still a very good and strong start first week out.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Ah. Thanks. So it has at least beat the previous Superman #1. I doubt it'll top the ACTION sales due to the Morrison factor there but I'm interested in seeing where final sales for the special top out at. Still a very good and strong start first week out.
    Yeah, it seems pretty comparable so far. There is always some initial buzz and curiosity when something like this happens. So there is an uptick in sales. I wonder how many older readers will return and how many will drop in protest. I couldn't help but wonder where Lexrules is during all this. Probably too busy dancing in the streets to post on any site these days. I think he was banned here. I remember hearing so much clamoring from people to bring back "their Superman". So I'm curious to see if they'll start buying again. I know I'll be reading. I've been through reboots before.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah, available data points to that run having relatively remarkable success, but... too bad it was Morrison, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    Or kill off Superman and replace him with a Superman from another dead universe that turns out to be sort of kind be our universe in disguise but manipulated by a guy from the Watchmen, and have this Superman be old and married with a 10 year old son who has powers and likes to fight bad guys, with the new old Superman who was wearing a black suit for a while but is now wearing a traditional Superman costume starting Wednesday and doesn't live in Metropolis, and where there is a separate guy named Clark Kent who works at the Daily Planet who is not this Superman. Oh, and some guy named Mr. Oz says both the dead Superman and Superdad are not who they think they are. Sounds like they are keeping to basics to me. Wait, um, no.

Keeping to basics would have been to restore the new52 Superman's secret identity and job at the Daily Planet. That's simple. That's the classic Superman setup.
    I'm not really questioning this though - what I think is that to most people it looks like a more traditional take - what with a simpler costume and all - I don't think most people buying this are actually aware of all of this - they're just trying out what looks like a return to form.

Instead of Superman being powerless and riding a Harley, or Superman being a police-officer on a reborn Krypton. (in both cases, he's not.actually.Superman.any.more...! GAAAH!!)

My point is more that Superman is a timeless character and people will probably always be a bit curious to try him out again.

BANNED

Day 5

Still at number 3.

Minimum sales 5004.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    Day 5

Still at number 3.

Minimum sales 5004.
    Dang, can we call this a knock out yet? I want to know the sales for the print editions as well. What the numbers are there.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Dang, can we call this a knock out yet? I want to know the sales for the print editions as well. What the numbers are there.
    That'll take a while.