Page 80 of 115 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1712

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Is'nt that a bad thing? I would want the series continued. I really, love jon-darkseid back and forth. The buddha allegory was pretty striking. It felt like the buddha taking on mara.
    I'm sure DKIV will happen eventually. It's just that DC doesn't use tiered variants to pad out sales. It's Marvel's standard practice which is why they always launch a new #1 with ridiculous numbers and then they crater once the tiered variants stop and the spec market dries up. It's why you can still find GC sitting on a lot of shelves and it'll end up in the quarter bin eventually, because stores probably ordered 50-100 extra copies of the standard cover to get one copy of the variant for a collector. So it sold, yeah. But in context it's sales are actually kinda soft for a book with that type of marketing push, all the "buzz" tied to it's political content and the fact that it's a Frank Miller Dark Knight Returns branded book.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Is'nt that a bad thing? I would want the series continued. I really, love jon-darkseid back and forth. The buddha allegory was pretty striking. It felt like the buddha taking on mara.
    Don't worry. I am positive you will get your wish. Going by what Grampa and Miller said, that if it sells well, you will see more...I am positive this is not the end of this verse.

By the way DC already approved a hard cover Deluxe version of Golden Child for June 2020. Not sure the content as it indicated 96 pages because GC was only 48 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    Bleeding Cool recently reported some stores saying DC sales are lower than when the DCYou/Convergence phase of the new 52 kicked in.

So I don't think DC, barring limited big events, AU books and Batman, are doing all that well. They lost readers with the new 52, Rebirth has lost its shine and I am not sure 5G is the answer to revitalizing anything either.
    Damn that isn’t good. And I don’t see 5G giving a boost, if anything I think it’s going to utterly devastate DC’s entire line. DC is in a really bad place right now. They’ve got no real up and comers, their “stars” like Snyder, Johns, Morrison, and King aren’t really lighting up the charts, Bendis hasn’t been a big deal saleswise, etc. I just don’t know.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Damn that isn’t good. And I don’t see 5G giving a boost, if anything I think it’s going to utterly devastate DC’s entire line. DC is in a really bad place right now. They’ve got no real up and comers, their “stars” like Snyder, Johns, Morrison, and King aren’t really lighting up the charts, Bendis hasn’t been a big deal saleswise, etc. I just don’t know.
    I think they are counting on the lead up to the crisis event rumoured. But, i do believe if doomsday clock had worked like it was supposed to sales would have been far better. Dc instead went back to their old routine. It shows.

Yeah, I really don't know the answer. I think Superman has a readership that is shrinking hence his titles and his cast not able to achieve or maintain big numbers. I am shocked at the Rebirth Justice League numbers as well. Justice league should be DC's biggest seller esp since they said Rebirth was such a success and these versions were what people wanted. It's really doing poorly. I can't see the 5G Justice League doing any better. Probably will get incentives and variants like any relaunch then fall rapidly.
    Last edited by hellacre; 01-13-2020 at 11:08 AM.

Yeah, I really don't know the answer. I think Superman has a readership that is shrinking hence his titles and his cast not able to achieve or maintain big numbers. I am shocked at the Rebirth Justice League numbers as well. Justice league should be DC's biggest seller esp since they said Rebirth was such a success and these versions were what people wanted. It's really doing poorly. I can't see the 5G Justice League doing any better. Probably will get incentives and variants like any relaunch then fall rapidly.
    Didio needs to go. When I started posting here I was irritated at all the people who blamed him for everything. I still think saying he’s the source of everything wrong at DC is pure hyperbole, but DC desperately needs new leadership at this point. Didio just keeps going back to the same ideas we’ve seen over and over again. The villains take over, the heroes are revealed to do bad things, big events that try to clean up continuity, it’s not that those ideas are necessarily bad but I feel like we’re in a Groundhog Day scenario where all we do is keeping rehashing the same storylines over and over and Didio just doesn’t have a clue what else to do. For the record Harras needs to go as well.

"The sooner Dan DiDio and Jim Lee leave DC the sooner the company will improve."

This sales results is proof, that Jim Lee and Didio's ideas are bad. DC should get Geoff Johns back and fire Jim Lee and Didio. With these two, everything is only worse.
    It’s not clear why DC hasn’t fired them yet?

Didio needs to go. When I started posting here I was irritated at all the people who blamed him for everything. I still think saying he’s the source of everything wrong at DC is pure hyperbole, but DC desperately needs new leadership at this point. Didio just keeps going back to the same ideas we’ve seen over and over again. The villains take over, the heroes are revealed to do bad things, big events that try to clean up continuity, it’s not that those ideas are necessarily bad but I feel like we’re in a Groundhog Day scenario where all we do is keeping rehashing the same storylines over and over and Didio just doesn’t have a clue what else to do. For the record Harras needs to go as well.
    I don't know. I don't know how much of movie synergy has to do with things as well and internal politics. It does seem to me that since DC's move to Burbank, they lost their creative teeth and whether this has to do with higher up mandates ...or leadership...I don't know.

All I know last time I was enjoying DC canon was the new 52 and they just crapped over it without trying to maybe understand it had an audience that was investing and they could have done another line for it even if they wanted to go back to old school stuff. Not all of us want to read the same thing over and over. The problem with DC is direction shifts like sand, and it affects the books and readers eventually get fed up. Who makes these changes? Is it Didio or his bosses? I read about AT&T not interested in comics etc. Maybe the medium is just dying with so much competition from other brands and live media, and the suits are coming down hard on them, I don't know.

They look like they are trying to do a line for different ages, which is good, but they need to allow books and writers to breathe and not break momentum. They also need to see they have different readers who do not all want the same thing. Now if the books don't sell even after giving them a chance and they cancel? Fine. No point trying to flog something not really getting sales and loses the company money. DC unfortunately has a lot of titles that they give chances and does not make a profit. We have to be fair that they do give new titles fans claim they want and yet fans don't follow up. Who is to be blamed for Lois and Jimmy's bad sales for example after fans been saying they wanted it and they got high profile writers like Rucka and Fraction? We need to be fair too. Personally right now, I am only willing to spend on maybe Black Label depending on the content. The canon line sounds like it is heading for younger readers and really not to my taste. I don't blame them trying to get new fans in but I am not sure 5G will do it. For one Legion I do not think is doing all that well and I am not sure fandom want to see Clark Kent replaced as Superman nor other fans want to see their fave heroes get replaced just to see Jon Kent, who is relatively new, lead the Justice League.

Glad to see GC sold well. Its good news for the hope of more materials not even in just that verse but different verses as well to hopefully offset the coming (and in some cases already in practice) disaster that will be main line Superman stuff.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-13-2020 at 12:13 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Bleeding Cool recently reported some stores saying DC sales are lower than when the DCYou/Convergence phase of the new 52 kicked in.

So I don't think DC, barring limited big events, AU books and Batman, are doing all that well. They lost readers with the new 52, Rebirth has lost its shine and I am not sure 5G is the answer to revitalizing anything either.
    Contrary to what some think New 52 wasn't a sales disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Contrary to what some think New 52 wasn't a sales disaster.
    And also, BC reported that "some" stores are under selling?

That means absolutely nothing. "Some" stores? What kind of sample size are we talking about? How wide spread is their regional data? Are we talking sales in major chains, bookstores, independent shops? That's not reporting, it's click bait.

Hey, I stopped watching Game of Thrones after season 4 (wanted to wait for the books first). So I can say "Game of Thrones viewership plummets to record lows" right? It's true; they did lose viewers; me and my wife. But does that reflect the whole, actual truth or just the tiny little sample size that is my household?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It’s literally one store out of 7 or however many that they talked to that week. It’s as anecdotal as anecdotal gets.

Fantastic Member

I think comic books are on their last leg!! I remember when I was a kid I could go down to the corner store an buy comics. They were in the Food stores, drug stores everywhere, anywhere books were sold!! Not anymore!! If your into comics now, you have to find a comic book store. Kids today are into the video games! They know the comic book heroes from the movies now! They don't buy comics!! 5 to 10 years from now comics will be dead! Maybe sooner!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 01-18-2020 at 04:35 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    I think comic books are on their last leg!! I remember when I was a kid I could go down to the corner store an buy comics. They were in the Food stores, drug stores everywhere, anywhere books were sold!! Not anymore!! If your into comics now, you have to find a comic book store. Kids today are into the video games! They know the comic book heroes from the movies now! They don't buy comics!! 5 to 10 years from now comics will be dead! Maybe sooner!!
    What year is it?! I've been hearing this since the 90s. Yes, one day comics as we know them will likely die out, but adapting to changing markets and not digging their feet into the sand as they have been will ensure that comic books will stick around.

Fantastic Member

When the criminal take over that's when a comic no longer appeal to me!! I haven't pick up one Dc comic since the start of the year of the criminals! I always want to see the criminals fail and be punished for their crimes!! I love seeing them behind bars!! That's the best part of the stories!! I LOVE IT!! Also it's a real turn off when they call themselves pulling the hero down, by revealing heroes doing bad things! I guess it's their way of making the hero seem human, it really doesn't!! It's just their way of excusing criminal behaver!! The heroes should have a higher code than some criminal!!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 01-19-2020 at 09:35 AM.