Page 14 of 115 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    The hype for Rebirth has been greater so far.

Nearly every Rebirth book has outperformed their New 52 counterpart so far.
    I can't quite agree with that, mate - the Internet was on fire with the New-52 - they had ads in the cinemas and everything.

And do you mean the launch of the New-52, which would be the logical comparator, or do you mean the end of the New-52, prior to Rebirth?
    If it's the end, then heck yes! Waay better sales.
    If it's the relaunch that was new-52, eeeh... It's kind of similar, imho. Which of course means a big rockin' success, but anyways.

This is the comicchron -reports for New-52 2011 that I found:

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2011.html

3 Action Comics 1 $3.99 DC 204,000
    15 Superman 1 $2.99 DC 144,000
    9 Action Comics 2 $3.99 DC 156,000

I can't quite dig up what the digital sales was, but I vaguer they were much lower, so let's say they were 1/3 of todays numbers... Let me think... minimum was 37,000, right? That oughta' be... 12,300 in sales. So, that would make:

Action Comics #1 at 216,000 and
    Superman #1 at 156,000.

And this here's the comichron 2016 Rebirth numbers:

8 Superman Rebirth 1* $2.99 DC 118,434
    10 Superman 1* $2.99 DC 105,380
    25 Action Comics 958* $2.99 DC 75,661
    26 Action Comics 957* $2.99 DC 75,349

Now let's see... They were all under-reported, because of returnability, so let's say that was another 10,000 there. And then we have digital at 37,000. The big conundrum is the second printings, hmm... Dunno' how much that could be? Another 25,000? So, let's think...

Superman #1 at 167,380
    Action Comics #957 at 147,349

That actually still means that New-52's first issues sold more, buut... there's also the fact that Rebirth features the brilliant stroke that is the Rebirth-issues - essentially giving DC an extra issue of income! Including that, then yeah, that's more sales - huh! Didn't think about that.

I think the big difference between New-52 and Rebirth is that N52 was more of the big hype-hit, while Rebirth seems to be more of a sleeper-hit, as evidenced by the under-ordering and such. To me though, the sales look similar, but it will be interesting to see the year finals, where we can compare the final numbers. It kind of makes sense though, since Comics-sales have been going up across the board since 2011 apparently, and Rebirth being another big DC reboot-launch.
    Last edited by L.R Johansson; 07-14-2016 at 05:49 AM.

BANNED

There's a problem with the numbers with you're using for the New 52 books. Those are its estimated sales for multiple months.

Superman #1 sold 144,000 in total, but on it's first month it sold 118,376.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...1/2011-09.html

For Rebirth, Superman Rebirth #1 sold 118,434, and Superman #1 sold 105,380 on its first month.

Right now, it looks like Superman Rebirth #1 on track to surpass the total sales of New 52 Superman #1. In some cases like Batman, and Wonder Woman, the Rebirth numbers are already over total New 52 estimates.

BANNED

Day 8 for Superman #2

Remains at number 4.

Minimum sales at 8000.

Day 22 for Action Comics #958

Drops to number 215.

Minimum sales at 20803.

Day 29 for Superman #1

Moves u[ to number 69.

Minimum sales at 27817.

Day 35 for Action Comics #957

Moves down to 264. Minimum sales at 33059.

Day 42 for Superman Rebirth #1

Superman Rebirth #1 moves up to number 125.

Minimum sales at 40542.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I'm not surprised that Superman is the better seller ultimately. I think even though it's a bit of a slow build, the heart and actual progression of story really help it.

Plus, guys.....freakin dinosaur punching coming this October!

Lol okay I'll stop now

BANNED

Day 1 for Action Comics #959

Starts at number 6.

Minimum sales at 998.

Day 1 for New Super-Man #1

Starts at number 11.

Minimum sales at 993.

Day 9 for Superman #2

Drops to number 13.

Minimum sales at 8990.

Day 23 for Action Comics #958

Moves up to number 173.

Minimum sales at 21633.

Day 30 for Superman #1

Drops to number 77.

Minimum sales at 28743.

Day 36 for Action Comics #957

Moves up to 255. Minimum sales at 33807.

Day 43 for Superman Rebirth #1

Superman Rebirth #1 drops to number 144.

Minimum sales at 41401.

This week Marvel takes the number 1 spot with Civil War #3. Nightwing is DC's highest charting release starting the new week, and I'm not surprised it's doing well, as Grayson was very popular digitally before Tim Seely and Tom King left it, but I am surprised that it's beating out Flash which comes in at number 3.

Action Comics #959 has the lowest starting position so far for an issue of either Superman or Action Comics, but it's still charting high and beat out Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #1.

New Super-Man starts at number 11, getting beaten out by last week's Justice League Rebirth #1 but it's still doing better than every non DC book except for Civil War and The Wicked and the Divine.

The same goes for last week's Superman #2, which is charting higher than every non-DC book, except for the two I mentioned above.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 07-16-2016 at 06:00 PM.

As much as I dislike the direction (or rather the manner DC took getting there) Im glad to see Superman doing well.

However, if you're going to compare Rebirth sales to New52 sales, you also need to take the market's health into account. Back in 2011 the industry was hurting pretty badly; the 52 initiative put the wind back in the industry's sails, and things today are much better than they were then. Taking that into account, its not a surprise that Rebirth issues are out-selling 52 issues. Digital, the fastest growing format in comics, has increased from 24 million copies annually in 2011 to over 100 million today (and that data is a year or two old so it could be much more) and print has seen a rise as well, though its not as impressive.

So how much of the market did the Rebirth issues take? How did they rank? Granted, sales rankings aren't a great way to gauge success because those ranks dont exist in a vacuum (Marvel didnt have a huge thing happening in late 2011 for example, giving DC easier access to the Top Ten) but figuring out market share is as reliable as we're likely to get, given the data we have access to.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    As much as I dislike the direction (or rather the manner DC took getting there) Im glad to see Superman doing well.

However, if you're going to compare Rebirth sales to New52 sales, you also need to take the market's health into account. Back in 2011 the industry was hurting pretty badly; the 52 initiative put the wind back in the industry's sails, and things today are much better than they were then. Taking that into account, its not a surprise that Rebirth issues are out-selling 52 issues. Digital, the fastest growing format in comics, has increased from 24 million copies annually in 2011 to over 100 million today (and that data is a year or two old so it could be much more) and print has seen a rise as well, though its not as impressive.

So how much of the market did the Rebirth issues take? How did they rank? Granted, sales rankings aren't a great way to gauge success because those ranks dont exist in a vacuum (Marvel didnt have a huge thing happening in late 2011 for example, giving DC easier access to the Top Ten) but figuring out market share is as reliable as we're likely to get, given the data we have access to.
    http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...6/2016-06.html

Those are the June sales figures.

When we take market health into account, the Superman Rebirth books aren't doing that much better than the New 52 books, and other titles:

Wonder Woman
    Batman
    Green Arrow

Have seen a much bigger increase in print sales. But, where the Superman books might do better now than the New 52 is that they might stabilize at a higher number.

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    Day 1 for Action Comics #959

Starts at number 6.
    And... the post-reboot bump begins to fade.

What are they going to do when the SuperDad/SuperJon books fall below new52 Superman sales numbers in general?

This sounds like a job for (new52) Superman!
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 07-16-2016 at 10:27 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post

What are they going to do when the SuperDad/SuperJon books fall below new52 Superman sales numbers in general?

Don't speak so quickly yet Super crab.

It all depends on where the numbers stabilize at. If they end up stabilizing to a higher level or even returning to pre Truth numbers,then either Superdad and his son are here to stay or they do something else. The only way Nuperman returns is if A) it's the plan to do that anyway,meaning sales are irrelevant to the equation, or if sales plummet significantly below Nuperman at his lowest. The former is a high possibility but the later is very unlikely.

Also keep in mind that evidence has arisen that indicates what's going on with Superman was determined long before sales took a nosedive,meaning that for whatever reason DC/ Warner's decided to swap out Supermen, sales weren't the determining factor . It's possible Truth collapsing like it did accelerated plans and thus why Nuperman was quickly killed and the Lois and Clark book suddenly shortened from 12 to 8 issues, but apparently this was going to happen anyway even if Superman sales were breaking records with Nuperman.

So, in other words, don't hold your breath. It may be lethal.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Calm down..

I avoid this topic because I am not interested in this(see his success? no), but I see your name and... I came to talk to you.

Unintentionally .. You can make people not take you seriously, this is a topic of superdad fans..
    Last edited by adrikito; 07-16-2016 at 12:56 PM.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

How about you go enjoy something else instead? Is it really that hard? Reboot/relaunches happen on the scale of years. Maybe you should go try something else in the meantime. People like myself go and do exactly that. Or you could just go check out anime, TV shows, movies, etc. That's exactly what I do when I don't like a particular character's direction or situation. It certainly beats remaining bitter about something.

BANNED

Day 2 for Action Comics #959

Remains at number 6.

Minimum sales at 1996.

Day 2 for New Super-Man #1

Moves up to number 9.

Minimum sales at 1988.

Day 10 for Superman #2

Drops to number 17.

Minimum sales at 9976.

Day 24 for Action Comics #958

Drops to number 181.

Minimum sales at 22455.

Day 31 for Superman #1

Drops to number 107.

Minimum sales at 29639.

Day 37 for Action Comics #957

Drops to to 269. Minimum sales at 34541.

Day 44 for Superman Rebirth #1

Superman Rebirth #1 drops to number 164.

Minimum sales at 42240.

New Super-Man moves up a few places.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    It all depends on where the numbers stabilize at. If they end up stabilizing to a higher level or even returning to pre Truth numbers,then either Superdad and his son are here to stay or they do something else. The only way Nuperman returns is if A) it's the plan to do that anyway,meaning sales are irrelevant to the equation, or if sales plummet significantly below Nuperman at his lowest. The former is a high possibility but the later is very unlikely.
    There's always hope. Bringing back my Superman, having both Supermen have their own titles, or rebooting things so there is a new Superman with no son beginning a new status quo all have a certain appeal to me- so I am not just hanging my hat on one unlikely possibility. There are lots of unlikely possibilities that appeal to me.

Also keep in mind that evidence has arisen that indicates what's going on with Superman was determined long before sales took a nosedive,meaning that for whatever reason DC/ Warner's decided to swap out Supermen, sales weren't the determining factor . It's possible Truth collapsing like it did accelerated plans and thus why Nuperman was quickly killed and the Lois and Clark book suddenly shortened from 12 to 8 issues, but apparently this was going to happen anyway even if Superman sales were breaking records with Nuperman.
    It's really hard to figure out what happened, exactly. I doubt they would have been almost a year of Truth if they really had this pre-planned to go actually the way it went. I suspect they planned to originally have two Supermen. Had Truth worked, we probably would have had SuperDad and Truth New-52 Clark Kent co-existing in different books.

Also, I think there was an element of wanting to tie in with the Superman vs. Batman movie.

Yeah, they do seem pretty determined to shove SuperDad and SuperJon down our throats. Ultimately, though, if the bottom fails out sales wise, that will change. Either the current editors will be the ones to make the changes, or they won't, and they'll be fired. There's definitely a threshold below which Warner Brothers will make sure there is a change one way or the other. Remember, they were said to have gotten a call from an executive to "Stop Batgirling" (i.e. Making radical changes) with Batman and Superman, so they brought back Bruce Wayne, restored new52 Superman's powers and costume, and, I guess brought back the old Superman from pre-Crisis (Although, really, that's "Batgirling" of a different sort when you give him a 10 year superhero son who is the center of his books' universe- I think they expect that Warner Brothers won't notice that, but the WB may be smarter than they think).

Of course, sales may do well or break even, and we may be stuck with this. However, that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    this is a topic of superdad fans..
    Why? Sales figures are of equal interest to people who like or dislike the current direction. People who like it want to see it do well so it'll stay the status quo, people who don't like it want to see it do poorly so that they go back to the new52 Superman or try a new third direction. It's not a topic for SuperDad fans exclusively. This isn't the "I love SuperDad" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by suemorphplus209 View Post
    How about you go enjoy something else instead? Is it really that hard? Reboot/relaunches happen on the scale of years. Maybe you should go try something else in the meantime. People like myself go and do exactly that. Or you could just go check out anime, TV shows, movies, etc. That's exactly what I do when I don't like a particular character's direction or situation. It certainly beats remaining bitter about something.
    I have other hobbies, too.

I wish there was more for me to enjoy comics wise, though. I picked up three Marvel titles, and it's unlikely any of them will make it past their next big event (One is already cancelled, they are just finishing out it's current run the next 2-3 issues, but it's already gone, end of a planned run, they said). Beyond that, I have an Image comic I like, so I'll likely have that subscription for as long as they keep going with it and I keep finding it interesting.

However, what I would really like to do is get a DC Comics monthly that I can enjoy where things were as they were or a nice change for Superman- not what they've turned into.

I don't see why some posters are so hell-bent on forcing conformity. The message seems to be "Like SuperDad and SuperJon or go away". Seems kind of rude to me. Shouldn't we all have the right to our opinions? If new52 Superman were to come back and drop the dynamic-super duo into a black hole, could I tell their fans to like that change or go away? Why do contrary opinions threaten people so much? Are they afraid someone important might read them and realize that not everyone is on board with these changes or something? Can they just not stand to have anyone express a view they don't agree with?

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

There's always hope. Bringing back my Superman, having both Supermen have their own titles, or rebooting things so there is a new Superman with no son beginning a new status quo all have a certain appeal to me- so I am not just hanging my hat on one unlikely possibility. There are lots of unlikely possibilities that appeal to me.

It's really hard to figure out what happened, exactly. I doubt they would have been almost a year of Truth if they really had this pre-planned to go actually the way it went. I suspect they planned to originally have two Supermen. Had Truth worked, we probably would have had SuperDad and Truth New-52 Clark Kent co-existing in different books.

Also, I think there was an element of wanting to tie in with the Superman vs. Batman movie.

Yeah, they do seem pretty determined to shove SuperDad and SuperJon down our throats. Ultimately, though, if the bottom fails out sales wise, that will change. Either the current editors will be the ones to make the changes, or they won't, and they'll be fired. There's definitely a threshold below which Warner Brothers will make sure there is a change one way or the other. Remember, they were said to have gotten a call from an executive to "Stop Batgirling" (i.e. Making radical changes) with Batman and Superman, so they brought back Bruce Wayne, restored new52 Superman's powers and costume, and, I guess brought back the old Superman from pre-Crisis (Although, really, that's "Batgirling" of a different sort when you give him a 10 year superhero son who is the center of his books' universe- I think they expect that Warner Brothers won't notice that, but the WB may be smarter than they think).

Of course, sales may do well or break even, and we may be stuck with this. However, that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Why? Sales figures are of equal interest to people who like or dislike the current direction. People who like it want to see it do well so it'll stay the status quo, people who don't like it want to see it do poorly so that they go back to the new52 Superman or try a new third direction. It's not a topic for SuperDad fans exclusively. This isn't the "I love SuperDad" thread.

I have other hobbies, too.

I wish there was more for me to enjoy comics wise, though. I picked up three Marvel titles, and it's unlikely any of them will make it past their next big event (One is already cancelled, they are just finishing out it's current run the next 2-3 issues, but it's already gone, end of a planned run, they said). Beyond that, I have an Image comic I like, so I'll likely have that subscription for as long as they keep going with it and I keep finding it interesting.

However, what I would really like to do is get a DC Comics monthly that I can enjoy where things were as they were or a nice change for Superman- not what they've turned into.

I don't see why some posters are so hell-bent on forcing conformity. The message seems to be "Like SuperDad and SuperJon or go away". Seems kind of rude to me. Shouldn't we all have the right to our opinions? If new52 Superman were to come back and drop the dynamic-super duo into a black hole, could I tell their fans to like that change or go away? Why do contrary opinions threaten people so much? Are they afraid someone important might read them and realize that not everyone is on board with these changes or something? Can they just not stand to have anyone express a view they don't agree with?
    I am not one of those posters, I am actually still a little pissed off at how things happened, and essentially in limbo at this point as to whether or not I will be buying things when my regular three month after release time is up. It just feels like "I get your point" though. I do think that they know that not everyone is on board with the changes though, but in this climate, they just have to make their pick as to whom they are going to please. Personally, I wish the reboot/relaunch cycle started failing enough for the unipublisher of DC/Marvel to the point where they would give up on hitting the reset button and work more on just getting stories out, and that whomever is running the regime at DC over Superman would just get off Superman, because it's been this repeated "mistake" of running long, boring, crossover events on the character. I simply do not trust the Superman regime at this point. If there's one book that I trust when it comes to buying, it is The Dark Knight Books.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Don't speak so quickly yet Super crab.

there isn't any reason that if superdad fail DC will go back to new52perman. Why would they go back a unsuccessful version of the character?
    u may say: what about post-crises?
    another case, it took decades to fall sales and he was still very well accepted by the fandom. most of media is inspired on postcrises.