Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Superman: Space Age Announced

DC Comics has announced comic greats Mark Russell and Mike Allred are teaming up for Superman: Space Age. The three-issue prestige format series will launch on July 26th into comic book shops with an 80-page opening issue. The series will explore a world where Earth will come to an end and there is nothing Superman can do about it. The series promises fans an unforgettable journey through U.S. history and culture.

Last edited by Vordan; 04-04-2022 at 09:29 AM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

After years of standing idle, the young man from Krypton defies the wishes of his fathers to come out to the world as the first superhero of the Space Age. As each decade passes and each new danger emerges, he wonders if this is the one that will kill him and everyone he loves. Superman realizes that even good intentions are not without their backlash as the world around him transforms into a place as determined to destroy itself as he is to save it.

“SUPER pumped to finally reveal what we’ve been working on in secret for so long,” said Mike Allred. “Easily my biggest project for DC yet. Working with Mark Russel and his brilliant script has been a blast! Packed with head-spinning iconography, top-tier characters, twists, thrills, and chills, resulting in a powerful instant classic epic! It’s been simultaneously intimidating and inspiring to meet the challenge of illustrating this phenomenal project!

As an outsider looking at it, it sounds a lot like the recent hit Spider-Man: Life Story, and Mark Russell’s Fantastic Four: Life Story as it explores a superhero journey over historical events and in real-time.
    https://aiptcomics.com/2022/04/04/su...llred-russell/
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

This sounds (and looks) absolutely amazing!

Incredible Member

Superman by Mike Allred looks amazing.

Art alone is worth the price of entry but does anyone else get real Spider-Man: Life Story vibes from the pitch (or I guess FF: LS vibes since Russel wrote that)?

Third time's the charm?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Art alone is worth the price of entry but does anyone else get real Spider-Man: Life Story vibes from the pitch (or I guess FF: LS vibes since Russel wrote that)?
    100%. But then, I liked Spider-Man: Life Story a lot - and this is a genuine dream creative team.

So long as it doesn't end with Superman "losing". If you're not in continuity, now's your chance to give him the big win!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Third time's the charm?
    Least Russel already wrote a Superman mini I enjoyed during Future State and we still have Waid’s book coming if this is a bust.

I'm not the biggest Mark Russel DC fan, but this seems like the perfect kind of Superman story for him to tell.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I love the fact that the Anti-Monitor has become just another "meh" villain to be thrown around whenever someone feels like it.
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Color me interested.

I'm definitely intrigued. This could be the kind of Super story I love; a fusion of socio-political theater and big cosmic craziness.....or it's gonna be some JMS level naval gazing. Kinda hard to tell where Russel might come down with it, honestly.

Looking at Russel's One Star Squadron, I think he's a guy who works best outside the constraints of continuity. So this seems like a perfect fit, and I'm very interested in seeing where he takes things. Russel seems like the kind of guy who would have a really unique view of Clark, and pick up on stuff that other writers miss (or at least ignore). Maybe his views won't align with mine, but it should at least be an interesting commentary.

And Alred is....I mean, this guy on Superman is a dream right?

Man, we've had an embarrassment of riches lately haven't we? I feel like since Superman Smashes the Klan we've had a pretty consistent stream of Superman mini's and self-contained work, and damn near all of them have been worth reading.

How many years did some of us wish for a line like this, when Didio was in charge and allowing sexual predators to run the office while the number of titles continually dropped lower and lower. I gotta be honest, I'm really, really satisfied with the people in charge of DC right now.
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-04-2022 at 01:19 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Mike Allred on anything is worth checking out on any project. For my money, mini-series and Superman are the way to go!

Retired

Mike Allred is just alright with me, Mike Allred is just alright, oh yeah.

Allred doing a Superman series is so long overdue it’s crazy. I know he did the crossover with his character Madman, but I would LOVE to see him get a Superman book set in the Silver or Bronze Age. Supes’ rogues gallery drawn by the Allreds would be so damn fun.