Astonishing Member

Thanks for the link. So, the estimated sales are these:

SUPERMAN: YEAR ONE #1 80,103

SUPERMAN #12 47,199

ACTION COMICS #1012 43,893

YOUNG JUSTICE #6 28,182

SUPERGIRL #31 20,903

ADVENTURE OF THE SUPER SONS #11 17,857
    Last edited by Konja7; 07-15-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Astonishing Member

Was happy to see Action went up. Event Leviathan had a great start compared to Rising.

Superman is holding steady more or less and Action actually went up. Pretty good month.

Good to see the books settle at such solid numbers. And a strong start for Year One. Given the price tag and larger format on that one, I didn't think it was going to break 90K, wasn't sure it'd even break 70, honestly. 80K is definitely respectable.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Kinda surprised Year One sold as well as it did given the creative team. We’ll see how many pick up issue 2.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Kinda surprised Year One sold as well as it did given the creative team. We’ll see how many pick up issue 2.
    I am eternally dumbfounded by Frank Miller's star power. Be it through people who really loved his work in the '80s, those that keep some popcorn handy for car wrecks, or everyone in between, his name does seem to print money.

While I would love for Action to climb and surpass Superman (it's the better book, full stop), I can only hope it doesn't drop too much more.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Comixology rankings:

House of X #1
    Action Comics #1013
    The Wicked + The Divine #44
    Detective Comics #1008
    Amazing Spider-Man #26
    Batman: Curse of the White Knight #1

Seems Bendis has loyal digital crowd. Action is outselling every comic except of course House of X.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    Comixology rankings:

House of X #1
    Action Comics #1013
    The Wicked + The Divine #44
    Detective Comics #1008
    Amazing Spider-Man #26
    Batman: Curse of the White Knight #1

Seems Bendis has loyal digital crowd. Action is outselling every comic except of course House of X.
    Digitally I don’t think any issue of Bendis Superman has been out of the top 5, and it’s usually in the top 3 which is fascinating to me.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Thanks for the link. So, the estimated sales are these:

SUPERMAN: YEAR ONE #1 80,103

SUPERMAN #12 47,199

ACTION COMICS #1012 43,893

YOUNG JUSTICE #6 28,182

SUPERGIRL #31 20,903

ADVENTURE OF THE SUPER SONS #11 17,857
    What is thought of as good sales for a comics?? SuperGirl is 20,903 and Adventure of the super sons is 17,857!! Is that good???

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    What is thought of as good sales for a comics?? SuperGirl is 20,903 and Adventure of the super sons is 17,857!! Is that good???
    I tend to look more at the rankings than the units sold, as it puts both in the context of the overall market. That said, neither Supergirl or Super Sons are doing great. Supergirl was 99, so I could see them looking at shaking that book up a bit. It'll be interesting to see how the next couple do with the explicit crossovers with Superman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    These are not good sales at all.

In fact, Supergirl is just so high, because the crossover with Superman. Its sales would be lower the next month (unless it has an Artgerm variant cover).

Adventure of the Super Sons is a bad seller too. The story feels as a filler disconnected from the DC universe, that doesn't help.
    Last edited by Konja7; 07-31-2019 at 05:35 AM.

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

Default What dumbfounds me is....

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I am eternally dumbfounded by Frank Miller's star power. Be it through people who really loved his work in the '80s, those that keep some popcorn handy for car wrecks, or everyone in between, his name does seem to print money.

While I would love for Action to climb and surpass Superman (it's the better book, full stop), I can only hope it doesn't drop too much more.
    What eternally dumbfounds me is that fans don't think about context, what was published, when it was published and how it affected the current market.

Frank Miller's stock has gone down in some circles considerably, as the intent of your post suggests. BUT.....go back and look at Daredevil BEFORE Frank Miller. Read those issues. THEN read the Miller arcs. This will provide some perspective as to what Frank Miller brought to the table. Miller's storytelling is still top notch. YES, I have been disappointed by some of the more recent things he has produced, but they aren't technically bad, they just aren't to my taste.

Current storytelling techniques encourage minimalism and "decompression", you may like this storytelling technique, but to me at least, it is unfair to judge what creators from different era's did BECAUSE it doesn't meet the current standard. It is easy to look at every thing from the present to the past, and then judge it using different standards. It is much more difficult to recognize that the current storytellers/creators are using different techniques from those of the present (or past).

There was a period of time that Jack Kirby was NOT respected in the Marvel offices. Hard for me to believe, but it's true. The only way I can make sense of it is that people were not looking at his work objectiviely, and with a knowledge of what had come before, they were judging it using current standards, which often are narrow.

Comics are the way they are now because of contributions of guys like Frank Miller. You have every right to call it a trainwreck, but consider your perspective and the body of work that the creator has produced. Is it your taste that you are dealing with or do you think it is technically poorly executed?

As far as John Romita Jr. goes, I would encourage any one to do the same, but also look at how economically and powerfully his panels, and their content, convey the story. John Jr.'s stories move, and each character's reaction is clear to the script. Try reading his Superman issues from a few years back digitally, panel by panel....the storytelling might surprise you. John JR.s style may not be popular at the moment, but in my mind, its wonderful.
    Last edited by oldschoolfan; 07-31-2019 at 04:34 PM.
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.

Nevermind. I loathe year one on every level. But this isn’t the thread for that.
    Last edited by Yoda; 07-31-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

July 2019 sales:

Superman #13 (regular cover) - 34,204

Superman #13 (Card Stock variant) - 17,740

Superman #13 (All) - 51,944

Action Comics #1013 (regular cover) - 31,469

Action Comics #1013 (Card Stock variant) - 12,294

Action Comics #1013 (All) - 43,763

Lois Lane #1 - 40,348

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #1 - 30,873

Superman Up In The Sky #1 - 28,028

Supergirl #32 (regular cover) - 13,681