Page 10 of 115 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    And that's primarily what I care about. I want an ongoing new52 Superman book to subscribe to. Preferably he would be the only Superman. Second choice, one of two Supermen. Third choice, same guy with the same memories but a new somewhat similar secret identity.

I also dislike the Jon character and want him to go away and not be cemented as an important part of the Superman mythos.

When I look at all those things, I think all the things I want are less likely the better SuperDad sales, except for possibly the idea of new52 Superman returning as a non-Superman character, but even that being helped by high SuperDad sales are speculative. Sure, they'll do more spin-offs if SuperDad sales well, but it might be a Superboy book with Jon adding to SuperSons and Jon being in the main books. Maybe it's a third major SuperDad title. Maybe it's a second title for some of their other spin-offs. Maybe Steel gets a book again. A spin-off of a hypothetically successful SuperDad is more likely to be in the vein of the stuff I don't like than the stuff I do.

Obviously, I would consider buying a limited special series that has an alternate Superman who I like better than SuperDad, but that's not really my end "goal". I want a monthly about new52 Superman in some form to subscribe to- or a similar childless Superman, possibly with a more adult audience in mind and a higher age rating. For the most part, I see getting the ongoing monthly I want as more likely if SuperDad fails than if he succeeds. There are scenarios both ways, but my mental projections tell me the odds are best of getting what I want if SuperDad and SuperJon sales fail.

Granted, that didn't stop me from buying the first new issue of Action Comics. But I haven't bought any of the other SuperDad starring titles since the announcement. And AC hangs by a thread with me. Might consider JL Rebirth, but again I am not sure, and if I did, it might be hanging by a thread, too.

I think in the end it's very likely that I'm essentially at the end of buying Superman titles. I told Dan Jurgens on Twitter I'd give AC a shot, and I'm doing that issue to issue. But I'm off Superman. And I think easily within a month or two, I'll be buying nothing, or maybe Justice League as a token title.

To me, Superman is dead. I mean, my Superman is literally dead in the storyline. But, also, I don't like the new guy, I don't like his sidekick- so my interest is dying too. At some point I may just be out permanently on all the titles (And would probably stop checking the forum soon after so as not to annoy people).

They've kind of got a limited amount of time to rehook me at least partially.

If their goal was to keep people like me on board, it would have been smart to have at least one monthly new52 Superman book. That way, we keep a subscription and they get some money, and maybe we buy the occasional storylines from the other Superman that look neat. Plus, if he returns more broadly, I'm sure they'd put an ad for that in the back of a hypothetical new52 Superman ongoing. But if I'm totally out of it at any point, I'll probably wind up totally out of it for a long time.

If at least one title doesn't hook me enough to subscribe by the end of the summer and there's no word of new52 Superman's return, I may not even know when he comes back. They wait a year or two, and there's a good chance I'm long gone. I'm not the type to hang on too long to the message forums and news sites. I feel like I still have a place here because I am rereading the new52 Superman comics I have and posting some highlights, and am current with Action Comics despite not subscribing. But if I wind up stopping buying AC and still am off SM and the spin-offs, and I either don't buy or buy and don't like Rebirth JL and then stop buying it, I won't be here for new52 Superman to come back (All indications are that he won't. If they lying or being misleading and I wind up believing them and not checking back- their fault, not mine. If they said check back in October, I probably would. But they aren't saying that.). They'll have to hope people like me hear about new52 Superman's return randomly somehow.

I literally now am subscribing to 3 Marvel and 1 Image book. All three Marvel books I subscribe to are not selling well and may be cancelled by the publisher. That may leave my only connection to the comics world that's current as the Image title, Black Science, if Squadron Supreme, Howard the Duck, and Nighthawk are cancelled. Heck, while I like the 00s Nighthawk character JMS (re)created and this is a version of, the first issue was somewhat questionable- less violent, annoying sidekick- I could drop that if it doesn't get better, even if it isn't cancelled. I am happy with Squadron Supreme and Howard the Duck, but Marvel may cancel them. I have very little interest in the higher profile Marvel titles (I don't really like their "house style" with the "witty" superhero banter that I don't find witty- Howard the Duck being the exception. ).

So if I'm subscribed to one non-DC book and stop checking news and forums, basically new52 Superman's return is going to need to be on Comixology's front page or make the real news, and I'm going to need to notice instead of clicking past it- unless DC holds me somehow and gets me to latch on to *something* between now and this hypothetical return. I can tell you right now, the Superman title from Jon's point of view will not hold me. I won't even buy a single issue of that.

I bought the first issue of Action Comics to "give it a chance" and it was okay-ish, so we'll see.
    Have you tried Justice League: Gods and Monsters and the spinoff comics? Those are adult-oriented alternate universe versions of the Trinity, they kill people, they do some adult stuff. Think if Superman was General Zod's son and he grew up with a Mexican family instead of the Kents. Think of Batman as a vampire, and Wonder Woman as part of the New Gods. I thought that animated flick was cool, and probably more in your park.

Quote Originally Posted by suemorphplus209 View Post
    Have you tried Justice League: Gods and Monsters and the spinoff comics?
    I saw some 5 minute preview type things on youtube. I may check out the comics. Thanks.

I am not sure if they would be my thing or not, and obviously they are not on-going, so it'd be limited to just buying what's out there, but it might be worth looking into.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    The real test is to see how sales are in August or September. There will undoubtedly be a drop off by then but if Superman titles are still charting in the top 10 digitally and top 25 in print in the fall,it will be good news.

There is an undercurrent of excitement in the larger Superman fandom beyond this site. I may not like how we got here, but I'm so far, glad that we are.
    The Superman books are usually in the top ten digitally, but they don't usually outsell books like Ms. Marvel, Darth Vader, Star Wars, Justice League, Injustice, Spider-Man, etc.

If the by the end of the year, the Superman books are still outperforming those books, then it's seen a huge increase in digital sales.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    I saw some 5 minute preview type things on youtube. I may check out the comics. Thanks.

I am not sure if they would be my thing or not, and obviously they are not on-going, so it'd be limited to just buying what's out there, but it might be worth looking into.
    It's worth a shot. I finally tried Kingdom Come and other alternate universe material from DC. I have long had the habit of buying things 1 or 2 months after release. That way, I can think over if I want it or not and be less likely to get something I regret, or to simply simmer down since I don't initially take reboots/relaunches very well from Marvel/DC. Anyways, I am a biased fanboy of God's and Monsters, but I am on my DC animation enjoyment binge right now.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I agree with you mostly, although I wouldn't peg Sterns Superman as a yuppie. That was more Byrne's deal when he was writing him. Early on that may have been the case as they were transitioning the character from how Byrne did things to how the triangle guys would do things,but I always , at least Pre-Death, always got a George Reeve vibe from his Supes/Clark. No-nonsence as Superman and trading barbs with Lois and Bill Henderson.
    Well, that's true I suppose. Been a long time since I read any of that material, and you're right; thinking on it now, Stern wasn't the guy to blame. There was still some of it there, but not as much as with Byrne.

Still think post-Crisis mishandled Clark though.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Day 5 for Superman #1

Remains at number 3.

Minimum sales at 5005.

Day 12 for Action Comics #957

Drops to number 32. Minimum sales at 11897.

Day 19 for Superman Rebirth #1

Superman Rebirth #1 drops to number 36.

Minimum sales at 18821.

BANNED

Day 6 for Superman #1

Remains at number 3.

Minimum sales at 6006.

Day 13 for Action Comics #957

Drops to number 47. Minimum sales at 12853.

Day 20 for Superman Rebirth #1

Superman Rebirth #1 drops to number 46.

Minimum sales at 19778.

Action Comics drops below Superman Rebirth #1. Detective Comics also dropped below Batman Rebirth #1 so this isn't unusual.

Flash Rebirth #1 is still on page 1 and so DC Universe Rebirth #1. Depending on how Flash #1 does, I say Batman and Flash are doing the best out of Rebirth.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 06-22-2016 at 11:58 PM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    Day 6 for Superman #1

Remains at number 3.

Minimum sales at 6006.

Day 13 for Action Comics #957

Drops to number 47. Minimum sales at 12853.

Day 20 for Superman Rebirth #1

Superman Rebirth #1 drops to number 46.

Minimum sales at 19778.

Action Comics drops below Superman Rebirth #1. Detective Comics also dropped below Batman Rebirth #1 so this isn't unusual.

Flash Rebirth #1 is still on page 1 and so DC Universe Rebirth #1. Depending on how Flash #1 does, I say Batman and Flash are doing the best out of Rebirth.
    Well obviously with original Wally's return the Flash will likely continue a hype bump...and Batman will do well as it's Batman.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

BANNED

Day 7 for Superman #1

Remains at number 3.

Minimum sales at 7007.

Day 14 for Action Comics #957

Drops to number 50. Minimum sales at 13806.

Day 21 for Superman Rebirth #1

Superman Rebirth #1 drops to number 48.

Minimum sales at 20733.

Superman #1 finishes its first week by outranking the newest issues of Civil War 2, Star Wars, Invincible, Injustice, Spider-Man, and other big sellers.

DC Rebirth #1 is on the last placement on the first page so this is likely its last day on page 1.

BANNED

Day 1 for Action Comics #958

Action Comics #958 starts the week at number 4, only outsold by Flash #1, Wonder Woman #1, and Detective Comics 935. It's outselling Ms. Marvel, and Mighty Thor, two huge digital sellers.

Minimum sales at 1000.

Day 8 for Superman #1

Drops to number 10.

Superman #1 drops to number 10, but is still ahead of new releases Ms. Marvel and Mighty Thor. This will likely change tomorrow, and but it's still very good that it managed to outsell new major releases for at least one day.

Minimum sales at 8001.

Day 15 for Action Comics #957

Moves up to number 47. Minimum sales at 14763.

Day 22 for Superman Rebirth #1

Superman Rebirth #1 moves up to number 46.

Minimum sales at 21691.

Action Comics #957 and Superman Rebirth #1 move up on a week of new releases.

The digital chart belongs to DC.

I hope this trend continues into July

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    Superman #1 finishes its first week by outranking the newest issues of Civil War 2, Star Wars, Invincible, Injustice, Spider-Man, and other big sellers.

DC Rebirth #1 is on the last placement on the first page so this is likely its last day on page 1.
    Wait, Invincible came out???? Crap, I gotta go to the LCS!!!

That's one of the few books worth reading these days. I'd make the drive (45 minutes) for that book alone, and Im actually trying to phase out of print for the most part....
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Day 2 for Action Comics #958

Remains at number 4.

Minimum sales at 2000.

Day 9 for Superman #1

Drops to number 17.

Superman #1 drops to number 17, which is not a bad drop for its 2nd week.

Minimum sales at 8987.

Day 16 for Action Comics #957

Drops to number 61. Minimum sales at 15705.

Day 23 for Superman Rebirth #1

Superman Rebirth #1 drops down to number 62.

Minimum sales at 22632.

Batman #1 is doing extremely well, still outselling the highest Marvel comic on the list. Titans Rebirth #1 is also doing very well, it's on its 2nd week and the only Marvel comic outselling it is Mighty Thor. It's still outselling Ms. Marvel.

Superman #1 has a good drop, and the other Superman books are having steady drops. So far so good.

BANNED

Day 3 for Action Comics #958

Remains at number 4.

Minimum sales at 3000.

Day 10 for Superman #1

Superman #1 drops to number 20.

Minimum sales at 9970.

Day 17 for Action Comics #957

Drops to number 74. Minimum sales at 16634.

Day 24 for Superman Rebirth #1

Superman Rebirth #1 drops down to number 65.

Minimum sales at 23570.

The Superman books that aren't on page 1 are still selling good and better than they appear to be. There is currently a sale going on for issues of New 52 Detective Comics and Action Comics, so in terms of sales it's not that less people are buying the Superman books but that more people are buying comics that are on sale. If it wasn't for the sale, the Superman books not on the 1st page would be higher on the chart.

Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 06-27-2016 at 07:45 PM.

BANNED

Day 4 for Action Comics #958

Remains at number 4.

Minimum sales at 4000.

Day 11 for Superman #1

Drops to number 23.

Superman #1 drops to number 20.

Minimum sales at 10950.

Day 18 for Action Comics #957

Drops to number 77. Minimum sales at 17560.

Day 25 for Superman Rebirth #1

Superman Rebirth #1 drops down to number 76.

Minimum sales at 24497.