Page 29 of 115 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AquaLantern View Post
    Rebirth so far seems to be a combination of pre and post flashpoint continuity. So expecting everything to go 100% pre flashpoint is just setting yourself for disappointment.

Besides, I had to deal with "New 52 ruined my life" whiners for a long time. And everytime it gets more irritating than any reboot.
    people actually want a superman with a actual personality....something that new 52 lacked in every meaningful degree

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jason white reborn View Post
    people actually want a superman with a actual personality....something that new 52 lacked in every meaningful degree
    Yet the overall sales data on a issue to issue basis shows that there is no preference to the version of Superman, only the quality of the stories.

The New 52 sales and Rebirth sales are almost identical overall.

New 52

Action Comics #17 - 57,189
    Superman #17 - 49,666

106, 855

Rebirth

Action Comics #974 (17th issue) - 41,712
    Superman #17 - 54,561

96, 273

The New 52's numbers are higher, but this is on account of Morrison. If not for him, the numbers would be much closer.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 03-06-2017 at 10:52 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but this thread is inexplicably still going so I will give it a shot...

Unless you are running a comic shop, the sales data of comics is not really an overall good indicator of how much a title is selling or how popular a particular creative direction is with your readership. Digital sales, which neither DC or Marvel lets the public see, is increasingly more important. I can speak from personal experience that most comic readers I know only read comics digitally.

If you are trying to prove whether or not Nuperman or Superdad is more or less popular, the data you have is only showing you what sells in comic shops, it does not take into account digital sales whatsoever. If more and more of your audience is digital, only pointing to monthly sales is only half the picture (or possibly less than that).

So, if you can't actually see the overall sales of either the current comics or the New 52 era, what's the point of this? This is like arguing whether or not a movie was successful, but ignoring the international box office, which is often responsible for the majority of a film's profit.

BANNED

The thread wasn't to determine whether Rebirth Superman would be more popular than New 52 Superman, it was to keep track of the sales of the Super line after a line wide relaunch, with whatever data was available.

Most of the thread is me trying posting estimates for how much a book could have sold digitally at its bare minimum.

As for digital. It's a market that continues to grow in importance and shouldn't be discounted, but it does not make up the majority of comic sales, with few exceptions such as Ms. Marvel.

The diamond numbers don't tell the whole story, but they are still relevant as it was these numbers that showed DC sales crashing in 2015, which led to the Rebirth initiative.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 03-07-2017 at 12:44 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jason white reborn View Post
    actual personality =/= having a personality that I specifically approve of.

DC Comics Historian

Rebirth so far seems to be a combination of pre and post flashpoint continuity. So expecting everything to go 100% pre flashpoint is just setting yourself for disappointment.

Besides, I had to deal with "New 52 ruined my life" whiners for a long time. And everytime it gets more irritating than any reboot.
    I agree, I believe that the heroes will be given their memories back and the best things about Pre-FP will be restored with some characters (Hopefully Kon-El) will come back but aside from that I believe that the characters will keep their age and current status quo in most ways. But now we have the best of both worlds and I am loving it. I wouldn't say the New 52 ruined my life but when you even have Geoff Johns saying he was underwhelmed by the innitiative with it's lack of legacy you have the see that there may be a problem. They could have done the reboot much better and either somehow salvaged the legacy (which is what Rebirth has done) that we invested in for so long or completely got rid of anything that before it and started from scratch.

Why though are you so against having Superman back? Did you truly enjoy what was seemingly a directionless character in that of the New 52 Superman? Was he inspiring to you? The only thing that inspired me about him was how much punishment he could take due to his silly decisions.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

This.

I'm loving the current status quo, but some elements and stories from the New 52 is likely being rolled into the fabric of Post Reborn Supes. While I doubt it will be much,what we are getting won't be 100 percent preFlashpoint only, which I'm fine with. Now, I think Reborn Supes will predominantly be Pre Nuperman Superman, but as we know,Xa-Du from Morrison's run is sticking around, Lana apparently will still be her New 52 electrical engineer incarnation, Luthor:s time as a replacement Supes is still around and I think it's likely that in the present day Martha and Jonathan Kent will remain dead. Plus, as we know, Supes first meeting with Bats and Wondy is being rewritten, so whatever Post Crisis equivalent of that is getting at least retconned.

So, the fans who are absolutists for either version will likely be disappointed. The rest of us I think for the most part will likely move on with our lives.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by theonetruebatman View Post
    Why though are you so against having Superman back? Did you truly enjoy what was seemingly a directionless character in that of the New 52 Superman? Was he inspiring to you? The only thing that inspired me about him was how much punishment he could take due to his silly decisions.
    I'm not against it having Pre-Flashpoint superman back. My response was just me just tired of New 52 bashing in general.

BANNED

The Reborn sales bump has taken full effect on the digital font, with Action Comics outcharting Detective Comics for the first time since the Rebirth relaunch. Action Comics is currently at #1 on the digital chart, a first since the Rebirth initiative began.

I was premature in expecting a sales bump in print sales before Rebon actually began, but March's print sales should show an increase.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 03-10-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    The Reborn sales bump has taken full effect on the digital font, with Action Comics outcharting Detective Comics for the first time since the Rebirth relaunch. Action Comics is currently at #1 on the digital chart, a first since the Rebirth initiative began.

I was premature in expecting a sales bump in print sales before Rebon actually began, but March's print sales should show an increase.
    It's a well deserved bump. Action #975, particularly Paul Dini's backup was amazing.

On a side note, while movies may not bring new readers to local comic shops, it looks like Amazon/comiXology is reaping quite the benefit. Lots of Logan-related books in the Top 50.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by theonetruebatman View Post
    I agree, I believe that the heroes will be given their memories back and the best things about Pre-FP will be restored with some characters (Hopefully Kon-El) will come back but aside from that I believe that the characters will keep their age and current status quo in most ways. But now we have the best of both worlds and I am loving it. I wouldn't say the New 52 ruined my life but when you even have Geoff Johns saying he was underwhelmed by the innitiative with it's lack of legacy you have the see that there may be a problem. They could have done the reboot much better and either somehow salvaged the legacy (which is what Rebirth has done) that we invested in for so long or completely got rid of anything that before it and started from scratch.

Golden Age Supes is back? Where?
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Luthor:s time as a replacement Supes is still around
    Lex tried doing that as well during the Post Crisis era, with the whole Lex Luthor Jr story line. He seduced Matrix to sell that whole thing as well.

it'll probably be very pick and choosy what stays and what doesn't. These kind of soft/hard reboots usually are.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post

and it's even bigger in sales considering it costs a dollar extra than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    and it's even bigger in sales considering it costs a dollar extra than usual.
    Mind, it's a thicker issue and the far bigger cost is creative for the Paul Dini and Ian Churchill backup. Per comiXology page numbers, that's 18 pages main story and 18 pages of backup.

Also, consider DC doesn't actually get an extra $1. At best, they're getting maybe $0.65 extra from digital or ~$0.40 from print.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja