Page 71 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2161676869707172737475 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1155
  1. #1051
    Mighty Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,707

    Default

    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/08...els-july-2019/

    Bleeding Cool combined the books and redid the top 100 so you can see the real placement. The combined numbers look pretty good for Superman and Action. Superman got a little bump and Action is holding steady. Kinda surprised Lois did so much better than Jimmy Olsen. There seemed to be a lot more push for Jimmy.

    Up in the Sky seems kinda disappointing. Unless more people were picking up the Walmart books the first time around.

  2. #1052
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/08...els-july-2019/

    Bleeding Cool combined the books and redid the top 100 so you can see the real placement. The combined numbers look pretty good for Superman and Action. Superman got a little bump and Action is holding steady. Kinda surprised Lois did so much better than Jimmy Olsen. There seemed to be a lot more push for Jimmy.

    Up in the Sky seems kinda disappointing. Unless more people were picking up the Walmart books the first time around.
    Do people even know Up in the Sky exists? I really like it but it and Batman Universe feel like they’re flying under the radar. Which is a shame because I think both King and Bendis are doing a good job.

    Man I really don’t get how the titular Superman book is doing so much better than Action. Has Action ever outsold Superman?

  3. #1053
    Mighty Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Do people even know Up in the Sky exists? I really like it but it and Batman Universe feel like they’re flying under the radar. Which is a shame because I think both King and Bendis are doing a good job.

    Man I really don’t get how the titular Superman book is doing so much better than Action. Has Action ever outsold Superman?
    It's a Tom King Superman book, so you'd think that people would be into it. But Mr. Miracle never really lit up the sales charts, and King's books all seem to be more critically praised than commercially successful. Batman and HiC are two that were going to sell regardless being Batman and an event book. So I really think King's fan base just isn't as broad or commercially important outside of the twitterverse.

    I think Action and SUperman were generally closer in sales and may have bounced back and forth during the New 52. I think Morrison's Action outsold Superman for the most part. The "Name" books do tend to outsell the others. Detective Comics never seems to sell on the level of Batman.

  4. #1054
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    Yeah, I think Action generally only outsells Superman when it involves a big name like Morrison or Johns. It might have outsold Superman during Grounded too.
    Currently Reading:

    DC: The Flash, Teen Titans, Justice League, Doomsday Clock, Justice League Dark, Aquaman

    Image: Lazarus, Black Magick

    Boom: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Go Go Power Rangers

  5. #1055
    Mighty Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Yeah, I think Action generally only outsells Superman when it involves a big name like Morrison or Johns. It might have outsold Superman during Grounded too.
    I'd question even Morrison's draw anymore. Green Lantern is selling less than Action.

  6. #1056
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I'd question even Morrison's draw anymore. Green Lantern is selling less than Action.
    Just barely. And I don’t think Green Lantern the card stock variant this month, which boosted most other titles. And the bigger question is how is Green Lantern doing compared to a Green Lantern without a big name writer on it.

    Still, I think you’re right Morrison is not the draw he used to be. But he still would have been a pretty big draw back in 2011.
    Currently Reading:

    DC: The Flash, Teen Titans, Justice League, Doomsday Clock, Justice League Dark, Aquaman

    Image: Lazarus, Black Magick

    Boom: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Go Go Power Rangers

  7. #1057
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Hey guys, new here, just want to ask, do any of you have the scoop on the rumor that AT&T 's is planning on closing down DC 's publishing, if so, what does this mean for superman and all of DC's characters as a whole and is there any way this can be prevented, because it would be horrific to see iconic characters like superman fade into oblivion due to mismanagement. If not, how can supes and DC as a whole be fixed?

  8. #1058
    Mighty Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,707

    Default

    I don't think there is any real truth to it. I think the publishing side is changing, but the idea that they just close it up completely is ridiculous. That article was all speculation and seemed really over interpret a few things like the combining SDCC booths.

  9. #1059
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    15

    Default

    ok, but still with all the discussions and commentary on the videos posted on youtube and what they have been saying in the comment sections, it worries, i just started reading comics back in 2015 after being an anime fan for some time and i honestly found dc and marvel's writings absolutely refreshing, then bendis came along and with things moving so slow in dc ive stopped reading till either theirs more content to read and bendis leaves and i was devestated to hear what was happening with dc

  10. #1060
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dralokonda View Post
    ok, but still with all the discussions and commentary on the videos posted on youtube and what they have been saying in the comment sections,it worries, i just started reading comics back in 2015 after being an anime fan for some time and i honestly found dc and marvel's writings absolutely refreshing, then bendis came along and with things moving so slow in dc ive stopped reading till either theirs more content to read and bendis leaves and i was devestated to hear what was happening with dc
    Let me stop you right there. YouTube is a dumpster fire and nothing you read there should be taken seriously at all, especially if it comes from a YouTube comment section.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    It's a Tom King Superman book, so you'd think that people would be into it. But Mr. Miracle never really lit up the sales charts, and King's books all seem to be more critically praised than commercially successful. Batman and HiC are two that were going to sell regardless being Batman and an event book. So I really think King's fan base just isn't as broad or commercially important outside of the twitterverse.

    I think Action and SUperman were generally closer in sales and may have bounced back and forth during the New 52. I think Morrison's Action outsold Superman for the most part. The "Name" books do tend to outsell the others. Detective Comics never seems to sell on the level of Batman.
    Mister Miracle actually rose in sales and for a C-Lister the sales were pretty damn great. Vision has sold wel in trades I gather. But King has also had his share of commercial flops like Omega Men and Heroes in Crisis. His Batman has also fallen pretty heavily over time saleswise. So sometimes his critical success translates into sales and sometimes it doesn’t. That’s why I was wondering if Up in the Sky’s sales had to do with not many people knowing about it.
    Last edited by Vordan; 08-12-2019 at 12:04 PM.

  11. #1061
    Incredible Member Lvenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    588

    Default

    And don't forget the dumpster fire that is Heroes in Crisis. King is definitely not as popular as he used to be.

  12. #1062
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dralokonda View Post
    Hey guys, new here, just want to ask, do any of you have the scoop on the rumor that AT&T 's is planning on closing down DC 's publishing, if so, what does this mean for superman and all of DC's characters as a whole and is there any way this can be prevented, because it would be horrific to see iconic characters like superman fade into oblivion due to mismanagement. If not, how can supes and DC as a whole be fixed?
    I wouldn't worry too much about it yet. People have been saying that comics were dying and on the verge of cancellation for decades. Literally since before I started reading in the early 1990's. There are *always* conversations about the imminent demise of DC Comics. Hasn't happened yet.

    Now, with AT&T in charge it is possible that we're going to see changes to how the publishing is handled. But closing shop completely? It'll never happen, and for one simple reason; these IP's are far too valuable to risk losing. Monthly comics are a fantastic way to ensure corporate ownership is never in question (copyright and trademark laws are weird things) and comics make for excellent storyboards and inspiration for larger media adaptations like movies, video games, tv shows and cartoons.

    The publishing might change. The way comics are made, distributed, and sold....yeah that might very well get some adjustment. And if it does.....that might not be the worst thing to happen. The production aspect of comics hasn't really changed all that much over the decades, other than the Diamond distribution deal (which saw comics leave grocery stores for the hobby shops) and it's a painfully out-dated process that could really benefit from some modernization. What that might look like, I don't know. But it would be incredibly, amazingly unlikely for AT&T to stop production completely, because that throws a whole ton of IP's to the wind where AT&T could potentially lose them if they don't use them. It is far more likely that they'll do nothing; on the corporate level DC publishing makes so little it's not worth paying attention to....as long as they still turn a profit, which they are (think of it like pocket change; as long as you've got some you don't usually worry about exactly how much). If AT&T does anything at all they'll try to turn the publishing around to make it more profitable, not close the doors completely. That might mean a shift towards digital or OGN's or who knows what. It *might* mean we don't have to make a weekly trip to our local hobby shop for a twenty page comic. But it is highly unlikely that the publishing will cease to exist all together.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  13. #1063
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    15

    Default

    sorry, i have a bit of a habit reading comments on youtube cause i like getting an idea on what people are thinking and how they are responding to certain things, though i do know not everything people say is true, however because im not fully aware of how the comic book industry works as a business and whats its up to lately, so forgive my naivity especially since im still a newbie when it comes to comic books. Plus with the fact that so many people were saying the same things made me wonder if it was all true or not
    Last edited by Dralokonda; 08-12-2019 at 12:22 PM.

  14. #1064
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I hope so, id hate to see superman and the rest thrown away like that

  15. #1065
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3,074

    Default

    Really curious to know Bendis trades sales. I want to know if he’s doing well there, or at least on par with Tomasi/Jurgens.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •