Page 79 of 115 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1715
    Mighty Member

Those low Jimmy and Lois numbers break my heart. I so wanted them to do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    That's a decent figure for Legion seeing as the headliner is so divisive.
    I'm not sure what to make of Legion's sales. On the surface, 75,000 does seem like a good number, but DC sunk so much promotion it. Bendis was on the freaking Late Show talking it up, they gave away a free Legion ring with purchase, and the card stock variant cover has been a proven booster of sales. Plus, you have to remember it's a first issues, and stores tend to over order on those already. But was this what DC was hoping for given all the stops they put out for it? It's an interesting question.

I think Brett Booth said something about DC only extending Wally West's current mini-series if it got enough sales. I believe he said the magic number for the first issue would have to be 80,000. Now, it is entirely possible that DC said that number because certain higher-ups don't want a new Wally West ongoing and they felt confident the series wouldn't reach it, but even so, Flash Forward wasn't nearly as heavily promoted as Legion was, so does it mean something that Legion didn't reach 80,000 even with all that promotion.

That said, I honestly don't believe Jon Kent and the controversial recent developments had any impact on Legion sales. I think people who wanted Legion wanted Legion regardless and Jon's presence in any form wouldn't have changed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    YJ really isn't doing very well at all. No 10 and already so low despite all the stops Dc and bendis pulled out to launch this. This generation and line of books shouldn't be the face of teen comics at DC. TT is almost at issue 40 has an unknown and unlikable cast aside from Damian who is quite divisive and yet they are beating YJ in sales. how did the buzz for YJ die so quick?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    My guess? It’s been so long since the last series, and YJ the cartoon is nothing like YJ the comic, so you can’t even leech some of the cartoon fandom over to the book. Bendis’ tendency to drag things out is also doing him no favors, hopefully Walker joining him on the book will help.
    In Young Justice's defense, it didn't seem to have a card stock variant in November and yet its sales matched the past few months where it did have one. Granted, that could be because Naomi just made her first appearance (and she also seems to be a source of sales boosts). But still, it's doing okay for what it is.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    In Young Justice's defense, it didn't seem to have a card stock variant in November and yet its sales matched the past few months where it did have one. Granted, that could be because Naomi just made her first appearance (and she also seems to be a source of sales boosts). But still, it's doing okay for what it is.

It isn't good, because Young Justice was a pretty promoted comic (and it was the face of Wonder Comics).

Young Justice has 28,182 in June and 26,777 in July (this was before the card stock started to appear for Young Justice), while it has 24,162 in November. It would be a problem if this fall continue.

PS: Young Justice doesn't have an issue in August, while it has card stocks in September and October.
    Last edited by Konja7; 12-09-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

December 2019 sales numbers (Early Look):

Doomsday Clock #12 - 117,926

The Golden Child #1 - 88,794

Superman #18 - 66,684

Source: https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...9/2019-12.html

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post

Superman #18 - 66,684

So, is the sales for goldenchild acceptable? It was really good. Did superman sales grow?

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    So, is the sales for goldenchild acceptable? It was really good. Did superman sales grow?
    I think GC sold similar to The Last Crusade (another DK related one-shot).

Superman #18 got more orders because of the secret ID reveal.

I think GC sold similar to The Last Crusade (another DK related one-shot).

Superman #18 got more orders because of the secret ID reveal.
    So the gimmick does work even if its done before.

Superman #18 - 66,684

The most mediocre comic book X Men took 3rd place ?! Superman 18 is in the Top 10 ?! On ComicXology and Readdc, this comic took 3rd and 1st places. Comic overtaked Batman. I did not think that revealing a secret identity would have such a success.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    So the gimmick does work even if its done before.
    I guess so, even if I'm sure that the sales bump will not last for long.

Superman #18 - 66,684

For a one shot with relatively new and younger characters who are not SM or BM or been around for decades, Golden Child did really well. Can you also share the year summary when we get it? It'll give an idea overall the sales how well the current Superman centric books did.

Golden Child was a Dark Knight Returns book (so it gets all those zombie buyers) with like six tiered variant covers. Those #'s are about as padded as Marvel's usual sales. As much a gimmick as the ID reveal.

I'd agree GC had solid sales. For a book not connected to main continuity or a big Event, featuring an essentially new character (despite the parentage) I'd say 88K (close to 89) is solid. Not everything is going to sell 100K+ even on a first issue.

The Jimmy and Lois numbers are sad, but I can't say they're surprising. Even if these are two of the biggest supporting characters in comics, they're still supporting characters, with no powers, no costumes, etc. But I bet you anything DC doesn't care much about floppy sales and are looking at those trade numbers.

YJ is, apparently, what it is. Dropping a couple K between issues isn't too far off from regular industry norms and rates of attrition, I think. Not what anyone hoped for, and something will have to be done about it this year to provide a boost, but I don't think it's really as surprising as some think; these characters have been ignored and/or abused for a long time, the original title was a long time ago and the cartoon is completely different (and larger media success doesn't translate to floppy success anyway).

Didn't think Superman 18 would see as big a boost as it did. That's nice. Hopefully some of those people stick around a while. That issue was excellent; if they bail it's not on Bendis or Superman.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

GC had 1:10. 1:25, 1:50, 1:100, and 1:500 tier variants. Which DC doesn't use at all. So those numbers are padded in the same way Marvel pads out all it's #1's. Those sales are softer than Superman Year One #1 which had 2 open order covers. It's not that impressive at all in context, especially for a Dark Knight Returns marketed book.

I guess so, even if I'm sure that the sales bump will not last for long.
    Bleeding Cool recently reported some stores saying DC sales are lower than when the DCYou/Convergence phase of the new 52 kicked in.

So I don't think DC, barring limited big events, AU books and Batman, are doing all that well. They lost readers with the new 52, Rebirth has lost its shine and I am not sure 5G is the answer to revitalizing anything either.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    GC had 1:10. 1:25, 1:50, 1:100, and 1:500 tier variants. Which DC doesn't use at all. So those numbers are padded in the same way Marvel pads out all it's #1's. Those sales are softer than Superman Year One #1 which had 2 open order covers. It's not that impressive at all in context, especially for a Dark Knight Returns marketed book.
    Is'nt that a bad thing? I would want the series continued. I really, love jon-darkseid back and forth. The buddha allegory was pretty striking. It felt like the buddha taking on mara.

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    For a one shot with relatively new and younger characters who are not SM or BM or been around for decades, Golden Child did really well. Can you also share the year summary when we get it? It'll give an idea overall the sales how well the current Superman centric books did.
    Of course.

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    Bleeding Cool recently reported some stores saying DC sales are lower than when the DCYou/Convergence phase of the new 52 kicked in.

So I don't think DC, barring limited big events, AU books and Batman, are doing all that well. They lost readers with the new 52, Rebirth has lost its shine and I am not sure 5G is the answer to revitalizing anything either.
    Yeah, Comichron reported it too during the past year.

I don't think 5G is the answer either.

But DiDio and DC are smartly experimenting with other formats and distributions through their new imprints.