Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: The Black Hood #11

Before the cataclysmic events of "Bullet's Kiss" and "The Lonely Crusade," there was another Black Hood-Kip Burland, a former police officer who vowed to fight the crimes that he couldn't while wearing a badge. But what was he doing in Philadelphia the day he was accidentally shot and killed by Highway Patrolman Greg Hettinger? You'll find out in this special flashback issue starring the Original Hood... and learn the shocking truth about what really happened that day. This is an essential one-shot you don't want to miss, featuring art from classic Black Hood artist Rick Burchett!

Full preview here.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Before the cataclysmic events of "Bullet's Kiss" and "The Lonely Crusade," there was another Black Hood-Kip Burland, a former police officer who vowed to fight the crimes that he couldn't while wearing a badge. But what was he doing in Philadelphia the day he was accidentally shot and killed by Highway Patrolman Greg Hettinger? You'll find out in this special flashback issue starring the Original Hood... and learn the shocking truth about what really happened that day. This is an essential one-shot you don't want to miss, featuring art from classic Black Hood artist Rick Burchett!

Full preview here.
    Is Archie still trying to crank these things out? How many months behind are they with this one or did they actually stay on schedule this time? How has this been so far? Is it worth trade waiting?
    Last edited by alton; 06-06-2016 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    Is Archie still trying to crank these things out? How many months behind are they with this one or did they actually stay on schedule this time? How has this been so far? Is it worth trade waiting?
    I don't think delays with Black Hood have been anywhere as bad as they have been for The Shield.

But, yeah . . . Archie screwed the pooch again when it comes to a failure to get out a relaunched / much-hyped superhero line on a regular basis.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Black Hood has seen some delays, as a monthly book it should be on about issue #14/15 right now instead of #11
    The Fox never got a solicit past #5, the arc concluded but I for one wanted more.
    The Shield has been so delayed I don't even recall what happened in the last issue, which was, what #2?
    The Hangman has had, I think 3 issues but came out in Oct/Nov last year
    The Web was going to debut in Jan '16 but here we are in June '16 and nothing. It's either not happening or seeing a Shield type mega delay.

Archie majorly fumbled the baton on their Dark Circle relaunch after the initial launch of Black Hood and Fox ended their first arcs last Fall.
    A shame to cause the characters are interesting. Maybe the Financing cash infusion will help IF Archie uses towards this line but I doubt it.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Black Hood has seen some delays, as a monthly book it should be on about issue #14/15 right now instead of #11
    The Fox never got a solicit past #5, the arc concluded but I for one wanted more.
    The Shield has been so delayed I don't even recall what happened in the last issue, which was, what #2?
    The Hangman has had, I think 3 issues but came out in Oct/Nov last year
    The Web was going to debut in Jan '16 but here we are in June '16 and nothing. It's either not happening or seeing a Shield type mega delay.

Archie majorly fumbled the baton on their Dark Circle relaunch after the initial launch of Black Hood and Fox ended their first arcs last Fall.
    A shame to cause the characters are interesting. Maybe the Financing cash infusion will help IF Archie uses towards this line but I doubt it.
    I lost an entire response just now I have no idea what I hit but here goes try #2. This reminds me of the Deneen/Greenberg Atlas fiasco a few years ago. Underfinanced and hoping for a tsunami of nostalgia to put them over the top sales wise. Even I who followed the second era of Mighty Comics have no idea who Black Hood and Fox were.I remember Fly and Jaguar and became aware of these others through the last DC Red Circle run. I would have licensed Joe Simons Fly and followed with Jaguar and Shield. I refused to follow this latest run because I feel these need to be owned outright by a Valiant style company. Ditto for Gold Key and King Features.

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    . . . Even I who followed the second era of Mighty Comics have no idea who Black Hood and Fox were.I remember Fly and Jaguar and became aware of these others through the last DC Red Circle run. I would have licensed Joe Simons Fly and followed with Jaguar and Shield. I refused to follow this latest run because I feel these need to be owned outright by a Valiant style company. Ditto for Gold Key and King Features.
    Which "era" are you referring to "the second era"?

These characters actually go back to the 1940s in many cases and were originally published by MLJ, which eventually became Archie Comics, so it's not as if some other company is trying to revive characters actually owned by a different company. (It's just that some of the characters had their rights eventually transfer over to the estates of people who created them.)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Which "era" are you referring to "the second era"?

These characters actually go back to the 1940s in many cases and were originally published by MLJ, which eventually became Archie Comics, so it's not as if some other company is trying to revive characters actually owned by a different company. (It's just that some of the characters had their rights eventually transfer over to the estates of people who created them.)
    I'm talking about the actual Red Circle line where the grown up version of Fly and Fly Girl started as a married couple with a Jim Steranko cover. I only recently picked up the earlier trade actually written by Simon where Fly is a kid in an orphanage who finds the ring etc. Again these starts and restarts are scattered over several different banners as you indicated and I just lump it all under Red Circle. My main point is Archie is the wrong place for this entire line to be and needs to be bought out Valiant style before I would spend money on it. No more licensing and I feel the same about Gold Key and King Features. I predicted that they would drop the ball on this Atlas style and they did.