Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default All-Star Squadron Appreciation Thread

For one of the greatest assemblages of heroes that fought for the USA back in the days of WWII!

I've got the first (and only...) Showcase,and man what a great series. I personally really like continuity minutia and nobody did it better than Roy Thomas on his good days.

My issues are getting quite worn. I'd love a color collection of these.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    I've got the first (and only...) Showcase,and man what a great series. I personally really like continuity minutia and nobody did it better than Roy Thomas on his good days.
    His Secret Origins issues were a great companion piece, too, for the bios he did in the letters page.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Spectacular Member

another series I'd love to see monied or at least DC's version of an epic line featuring it.
    trying to be nicer

BANNED

I loved All-Star Squadron, even more than Invaders. I also enjoyed Young All-Stars, but I doubt we'll ever see a new All-Stars comic we've had a long wait for the JSA to come back. Sad, because I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

My favorite title of all time.

Astonishing Member

Great series. A shame COIE (and TPTB at DC) ruined it for Roy Thomas.

I loved reading it.

a man who created images dr-brainwave's Avatar

the original DCU!
    All-Star squadron is simply the most ambitious superhero series of all time, Mr Roy Thomas did a masterful job by tying together real life history events with super hero adventures (as they were originally published) and he also found a way to be very innovative with 50 + characters.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Great series. A shame COIE (and TPTB at DC) ruined it for Roy Thomas.

I loved reading it.
    I re-read the series a couple months back and had a great time with it. It was sad though once the Crisis hit because you could tell it was difficult for Roy to continue on, especially since one minute he was under the impression he could continuing using Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc., then he couldn't but could use Aquaman, Green Arrow, Speedy, etc., but then couldn't use them either. I thought I would least like the final year or so of origin stories but most turned out to be pretty interesting. I'd love to see a collection of old Liberty Belle, Robotman, and Johnny Quick stories but I guess that's probably never going to happen...not in my lifetime, anyway.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Hands down one of the finest comic book series I have ever read. It's impossible to find that kind of magic in comic books anymore.

Much as I loved that era that Roy Thomas was working with, he did get a little carried away with all his retcons (like having the Quality Comics heroes originally on Earth-2, then having some of them go to Earth-X to form the 1940s version of the Freedom Fighters, and then having to move them back-and-forth between Earths because of the CoIE changes that were coming).

But I definitely would love to see DC find the right writer to try and revive some of DC's war time heroes. A group of non-/lesser-powered Mystery Men (and Women) fighting crime and spies on the home front during the early 1940s would be so appealing to me (but, alas, probably not to enough of the more numerous younger readers).

Without a doubt, one of the best series I have ever read, and, alongside the New Teen Titans, with the loss of Wonder Girl and her mythology and a few other minor charcter's backgrounds, and, to a lesser degree, LSH, with the loss of Superboy (though they handled that mildly okay, with the Time Trapper and the pocket universe), the biggest casuality of the COIE.
    The first 40 or so issues of All-Star Squadron are some of the best ever published. Jerry Ordway manages to keep the artistic identity of the book quite unique and consistent through the first nearly thirty issues of the book, at first on inks, then on pencils also, before jumping to the sister book, Infinity Inc. Rick Horberg manages to keep the visual high quality of the book, but, sadly he stayed only seven or so issues before leaving the book (I never new why). His replacement, Arvell Jones, unfortunately, was not of the same caliber as his two predecessors. Then, came the COIE, and the book started to struggle, becoming a bit of a mess, of uneven quality.

I liked COIE, and greatly aproved the DCU tht came out of it, however, it still saddens me the damage it did to this book.

Peace