Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

a man who created images dr-brainwave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Where is that picture from? IIRC Kubert was only a cover artist for All Star Squadron.

Quote Originally Posted by dr-brainwave View Post
    Where is that picture from? IIRC Kubert was only a cover artist for All Star Squadron.
    I believe it may have been a cover illustration that wasn't used for a cover, but was later used in a story (I believe in Young All-Stars Annual #1).

That version I grabbed off the internet . . . I know I originally saw it in the back of an issue of All-Star Squadron when they use to include various illustrations and such in the letter columns sections.

I started collecting this series a couple years ago n haven't got the whole series yet but it's a work in progress and my favorite characters are LIBERTY BELLE.FIREBRAND and the SHINING KNIGHT. would love if these characters could get a rebirth in the new JSA book.

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    I started collecting this series a couple years ago n haven't got the whole series yet but it's a work in progress and my favorite characters are LIBERTY BELLE.FIREBRAND and the SHINING KNIGHT. would love if these characters could get a rebirth in the new JSA book.
    And the Danette Reilly version of Firebrand wasn't originally what Roy Thomas had planned for All-Star Squadron. It's been said he had intended to use an old Quality Comics character named Wildfire.

However, since that name was being used for a (male) member of the Legion of Super-Heroes, they used the name of a male Quality Comics character (who didn't have any super-powers).

Incredible Member

Fond memories of the All-Star Squadron!

I love that DC always held their Golden Age heroes in high regard, whereas Marvel had the habit (in the late 60's/early 70's) of bringing their Golden Age heroes back for one issue, insane and murderous, only to then kill them off. Fortunately the Original Human Torch managed to push his way past that (eventually).

I can't wait to see how the JSA are re-inserted into continuity, and I hope Plastic Man's time with them is still intact (no re-imagining him as a hero who just appeared). My favorite All-Star was Firebrand (Danette), and I think my favorite villains are Per Degaton and the Ultra-Humanite. These are terrific characters, all of them, and it's unfortunate that the Crisis did such a number on them (and that Young All-Stars didn't seem to take).
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

The demise of this, was yet another reason I hated COIE's..
    Would be great if it was reprinted as an Omnibus.
    Would also be nice if they could bring them back somehow, if they bring back the JSA on their own Earth, maybe they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    I can't wait to see how the JSA are re-inserted into continuity, and I hope Plastic Man's time with them is still intact (no re-imagining him as a hero who just appeared).
    Huh?

When was Plastic Man a part of the Justice Society?

He wasn't a DC character originally . . . he came from Quality Comics.
    (He was involved with the All-Star Squadron, but I don't know of his being involved with just the JSA.)

A seriously unappreciated clasic.

I enjoyed every issue of this series in its original run. I was sad to see it end. I'd always wished they'd just used Captain Marvel and the Marvel Family as Superman and Wonder Woman's replacements. Then in the modern world, Cap could be an old Billy, or Shazam's next champion or something. Ah well, fond memories!

Quote Originally Posted by The Odd Man View Post
    I enjoyed every issue of this series in its original run. I was sad to see it end. I'd always wished they'd just used Captain Marvel and the Marvel Family as Superman and Wonder Woman's replacements. Then in the modern world, Cap could be an old Billy, or Shazam's next champion or something. Ah well, fond memories!
    I think it was a HUGE mistake to make Young All-Stars it's own separate team. I like most the substitutes Roy Thomas came up with (Flying Fox, Fury and Iron Munro were pretty great), by they should have been added to the mix and allowed the All-Star Squadron to continue it's own adventures. I mean, it wasn't as if Bats, Supes and Wondy had such an important part to play in the original series, right?

Peace

Fantastic Member

One of my favorite series.
    It should get collected.

I haven't read Young All-Stars and Infinity Inc. yet. What do you think about these series?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by madmodpoetgod View Post
    It should get collected.

I haven't read Young All-Stars and Infinity Inc. yet. What do you think about these series?
    You weren't addressing me but I'll answer anyway, IMHO YOUNG ALL-STARS is fun and worth a look but, for me, INFINITY INC under Roy Thomas is one of the best series which DC produced in their history and is well worth a look, it slightly lose its way at the end but most of the series is superb.

Cheers.

James.

Quote Originally Posted by madmodpoetgod View Post
    It should get collected.
    This. A collection of these stories is long overdue. It was such a fantastic series.