Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Supreme: Blue Rose, #1

You are not dreaming. We are trying to communicate with you. Local reality has been reinstalled. Things have gone wrong. The revision has corrupted. Finding Ethan Crane is your supreme priority. We are speaking to you from the ultimate bunker within the structure of multiversal time. Do not trust Darius Dax. We are all going to die. SUPREME: BLUE ROSE. Re-introducing the central Image Comics character, with WARREN ELLIS and TULA LOTAY.

Full article here.

Just hook it up to my veins, thanks.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Pass. What I have seen so far doesn't capture my interest.

Xenos

It's all right to have a tease qua tease, as these pages have been for a couple of months now. But "Supreme" is the title. If the whole damned thing is going to be a tease, ie "Finding Supreme," then they ought to just come out and say so, and maybe keep the title, but diminish the character's name, i.e., "The Blue Rose: Supreme." In other words, I like Supreme. That's the drawing-card. Why would I care (and I'm not saying I won't, or that this won't be loads of fun), but give me a good reason to care about a Supreme series—if Supreme isn't actually going to be IN it.

Amazing Member

This is my most anticipated title of the year! Ethereal sci-fi with a David Lynch vibe + Warren Ellis's writing + Tula Lotay's gorgeous art... I WANT TO READ THIS SO BAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
    It's all right to have a tease qua tease, as these pages have been for a couple of months now. But "Supreme" is the title. If the whole damned thing is going to be a tease, ie "Finding Supreme," then they ought to just come out and say so, and maybe keep the title, but diminish the character's name, i.e., "The Blue Rose: Supreme." In other words, I like Supreme. That's the drawing-card. Why would I care (and I'm not saying I won't, or that this won't be loads of fun), but give me a good reason to care about a Supreme series—if Supreme isn't actually going to be IN it.
    I have to agree, everyone is looking to lighten their pull list & spots are becoming precious. I have a cut off point of 60 items on my monthly pull list, I'm currently at 58 titles which includes titles that haven't started yet or ship sporadically (normally between 35-40 actually ship). That leaves 2 spots available & this title hasn't done anywhere near enough to get one of those spots, I simply have no idea what this book is about.

I'm not sure what to take from that preview, kind of meh, same feeling I'm getting so far from Trees..
    #MagnetoWasRight

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

With the exception of Moon Knight 4, I think that's the nicest art in any Ellis book right now. Not interested though.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

BANNED

It's got my attention, I'm curious. So even if I don't have the entire story laid out for me in the preview, I'm willing to look into it.

That preview makes me kinda not want to bother with the comic, but the solicit text has me interested enough to give it a try. Definitely not thrilled with the art.
    Comics I read:
    Invincible
    other comics that aren't as good as Invincible

Looks pretty good to me. Im in!

BANNED

Like all things published by Liefeld. It will have one..maybe 2 issues and will never be completed. Ie: Youngblood Bloodsport.
    I'll Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Minister Grok View Post
    Like all things published by Liefeld. It will have one..maybe 2 issues and will never be completed. Ie: Youngblood Bloodsport.
    I'll Pass
    What about the current Brandon Greham Prophet series which is 20+ issues in and almost at completion?
    Or Keatinges Glory which was recently completed?
    Or Larsens Supreme?

Spectacular Member

This sounds right to me, like a more surreal version of the story Ellis was telling in newuniversal. The minimal approach to color here looks great. However it was achieved, it makes the art feel like marks on paper instead of an elaborate digital production. At the risk of waxing pretentious, the relationship between the pages and the artist's hand seems much more intimate than usual here despite the fact that the roughspun style is very clearly the result of careful planning and composition.

I'm guessing that "Blue Rose" is a nod to Twin Peaks. Here's hoping the Ellis tries to out-weird Prophet, which is still my high-water-mark for this kind of gonzo revisionism.

BANNED

This will be my summer book, I can feel it.