Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator

Default Man of Steel Rebirth: Your Guide to the New (Old) Superman

Whether he's the Post-Crisis or Pre-Flashpoint Superman, this handy primer helps you prepare for the Man of Tomorrow's return for DC Rebirth.

Full article here.

Thinking about it, something similar to Chris Kent would have been a much simpler solution to DC wanting a Superson.
    Would have avoided all the 2 Supermen nonsense and wouldn't have aged Clark and Lois so much because he'd be an adopted son.

This should have done at the start of new 52.. The character and the Guide.. there is no conflict with superman character, he would still be the same pre-flashpoint despite new52..

This world does not have Superman, we will put one ... NOT NOW, we kill your superman to put the version that interests us..
    Last edited by adrikito; 06-04-2016 at 08:48 AM.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Thinking about it, something similar to Chris Kent would have been a much simpler solution to DC wanting a Superson.
    Would have avoided all the 2 Supermen nonsense and wouldn't have aged Clark and Lois so much because he'd be an adopted son.
    Yeah, I missed Chris Kent, but I guess DC didn't consider him convenient for canon at the time, which is why he canonically didn't stick around too long.

DC really hates accessible comics it would seem.

Interesting article. It's like the Wonder Woman article that was on the site afew weeks back. Very helpful. Makes me want to pick up S:Rebirth #1 after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhatch View Post
    Interesting article. It's like the Wonder Woman article that was on the site afew weeks back. Very helpful. Makes me want to pick up S:Rebirth #1 after all.
    It wasnt at all bad, but if you're looking to see what the Superman mythos is going to look like going forward, its not going to tell you anything you didnt already know. The issue was largely a....farewell, I guess you could say, to Nuperman while establishing Superdad as the main guy. But it didnt move the story forward by anything more than inches.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    DC really hates accessible comics it would seem.
    I think its more that DC editorial likes accessible comics so much, they are willing to wipe away the entire DCU past every 5 or 10 years. We, the fans don't like that because DC throws away the characters and bonds we hold dear, so we ask they restore that past. When we vote with our wallets, DC eventually restore elements from the past, but they try to shoehorn them into the new continuity they've created, which creates overlapping mishmash timelines.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LGBoex View Post
    I think its more that DC editorial likes accessible comics so much, they are willing to wipe away the entire DCU past every 5 or 10 years. We, the fans don't like that because DC throws away the characters and bonds we hold dear, so we ask they restore that past. When we vote with our wallets, DC eventually restore elements from the past, but they try to shoehorn them into the new continuity they've created, which creates overlapping mishmash timelines.
    Well, they certainly are trigger happy on the reset button, that's for sure.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Whether he's the Post-Crisis or Pre-Flashpoint Superman, this handy primer helps you prepare for the Man of Tomorrow's return for DC Rebirth.

Full article here.
    What's with the authors obsession with Earth-August?! Why not call it New 52 like the rest of us?!

so is the returned Superman the same fellow as was first introduced in the Byrne "Man of Steel" series?

So what about the retcons that have been done since then? Is Lex the middle-aged much-older guy or is he a guy who was roughly Clark's age? Was he this billionaire businessman early on or was he a science-driven 'super'-villain from the get-go?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so is the returned Superman the same fellow as was first introduced in the Byrne "Man of Steel" series?
    ?
    The returned Superman is the Post-Infinite Crisis one, who has quite a bit of Byrne's continuity, as well as a bunch of Pre-Crisis continuity and a bit of the Donner movies and Smallville TV sprinkled in. He's pretty much got the DNA of every major incarnation of the character from the Silver Age on...whereas the New 52 Superman was much more like the rough n' tumble Golden Age Superman, at least when Morrison was writing him.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 06-05-2016 at 07:51 AM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Is Lex the middle-aged much-older guy or is he a guy who was roughly Clark's age? Was he this billionaire businessman early on or was he a science-driven 'super'-villain from the get-go?
    The Post-Infinite Crisis Lex was a merger of billionaire tycoon Lex, mad scientist Lex and Smallville Lex. However, it's doubtful we'll be seeing that version again, since the New 52 version is essentially that already.

at this point, I'm not sure if I can even begin to enjoy anything; I've been away too long. All the multiple counter-characters sharing space now, it's so confusing.

Returned Veteran OldReaderofTime's Avatar

This is all nice...but I will leave this to a new generation. My time spent with reading DC, almost for 30+ years, did ended just before pre-52. Haven't pick up an issue since. And I was a hard core collector back then. No regrets and good luck.