Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Why would it be wrong in keeping a character straight, when they've always been depicted as nothing but straight?
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    it's not a moot point, it's a legitimate question. steve, i would be on your side. but bucky has little to no history with women except black widow as far as i can tell. so what has you so convinced he'd be straight only?

the fans want a GAY captain america. it's just how it is. steve rogers CANNOT be a gay captain america because he's been with dozens of women over the years.

bucky has not. SO, if marvel are going to consider it, i would suggest they start with the blank canvas that bucky has.
    Uh...the number of fans that want a gay caption america are probably drastically low compared to the number of people who don't. A few kids on a message board don't speak for the majority.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tg1982 View Post
    Why would it be wrong in keeping a character straight, when they've always been depicted as nothing but straight?
    Because they are extreme and all logic is completely gone.

i don't have the data to support such a statement. but if this thread is any indication, there are people who want some format of a gay captain

I just don't really like the question, or more accurately how it was asked.

If I asked the question "Would Marvel be in the wrong for GIVING Captain America a boyfriend" There are some on here that would label me a bigot.

But for the thread, my answer is no, Marvel isn't in the wrong for not giving Cap a boyfriend.

I would like to see more representation in comics, for all people, race, gender, religion and sexual orientation. It shouldn't be done at the expense of other characters though. They should be created, and nurtured, the same way that Captain America, and all the other characters were through the years.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

BANNED

i don't have the data to support such a statement. but if this thread is any indication, there are people who want some format of a gay captain
    Again, this board is a VERY small portion of comic readers and there are a good number of people in this topic that are against it. It's not exactly a land slide in favor of a gay captain. It's mostly just because the few in favor of it are so outspoken.

if they are or aren't, it isn't really your place to say one way or another. unless you have access to some figures you aren't sharing with the people on this community.

BANNED

if they are or aren't, it isn't really your place to say one way or another. unless you have access to some figures you aren't sharing with the people on this community.
    huh? I'm sorry but weren't you the one who said "the fans" wanted it? I just made an argument against it based off of common sense and what I see on this board and you tell me "if they are or aren't, it isn't really your place to say one way or another". Am I misunderstanding you or something?

you definitely did. if you scroll just 3 spaces up, you'll see that i said it seems the fans want it, but i don't have any data to verify one way or another.

BANNED

you definitely did. if you scroll just 3 spaces up, you'll see that i said it seems the fans want it, but i don't have any data to verify one way or another.
    I stated no facts other than this is a small portion of comic readers here. That is a fact and I don't need numbers for that.

Also I said "the number of fans that want a gay captain america are probably drastically low compared to the number of people who don't."

it's not a moot point, it's a legitimate question. steve, i would be on your side. but bucky has little to no history with women except black widow as far as i can tell. so what has you so convinced he'd be straight only?

the fans want a GAY captain america. it's just how it is. steve rogers CANNOT be a gay captain america because he's been with dozens of women over the years.

bucky has not. SO, if marvel are going to consider it, i would suggest they start with the blank canvas that bucky has.
    The fans? or a small group of fans. There are some people who want some pretty terrible things in the world. Should we give it to them because they have a hashtag?
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, The Flash, Aquaman, Titans, Justice League, HJATGL, Supergirl, Superwoman, DC Bombshells
    Marvel: CANCELLED (good luck with your seasonal approach and constant reboots... I'll miss the characters though)
    Zenescope: Grimm Fairy Tales

Here is some data for you. 161 posts so far in this thread and I have read every one of them. Based on my numbers 123 of them are against changing Captain America's sexuality in favor of giving him a boyfriend. So if over 75% of the posts in a thread that is asking the question "is marvel wrong for not giving Captain America a boyfriend?" are against the notion of giving him a boyfriend what do you think that says about the overall fanbase as a whole and what their opinion would be. Also the number of posts IN FAVOR are coming from 5-6 individuals and the number of posts that are AGAINST are coming from over 3 dozen individuals. That enough data for you?
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, The Flash, Aquaman, Titans, Justice League, HJATGL, Supergirl, Superwoman, DC Bombshells
    Marvel: CANCELLED (good luck with your seasonal approach and constant reboots... I'll miss the characters though)
    Zenescope: Grimm Fairy Tales

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMC005 View Post
    Here is some data for you. 161 posts so far in this thread and I have read every one of them. Based on my numbers 123 of them are against changing Captain America's sexuality in favor of giving him a boyfriend. So if over 75% of the posts in a thread that is asking the question "is marvel wrong for not giving Captain America a boyfriend?" are against the notion of giving him a boyfriend what do you think that says about the overall fanbase as a whole and what their opinion would be. Also the number of posts IN FAVOR are coming from 5-6 individuals and the number of posts that are AGAINST are coming from over 3 dozen individuals. That enough data for you?
    So....like I was saying....a few loud individuals. And guess what, I didn't even need numbers to come to that conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMC005 View Post
    That enough data for you?
    not hardly. how many of those are repeat customers? did you look anywhere besides comic book resources? what's the pulse of the nation like in other corners of the universe, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohnooze View Post
    This whole topic is so ridiculous. The sad part is that this is "important" to so many....
    It's very understandable if you know what it's like to be repeatedly absent from a medium (such as the MCU films). The classic idea of "you don't know what you have until you lose it."

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Luxury? No. Benefit? Yes. A luxury is a perk that only a minority can enjoy, but we're talking about 97% of the population. Naturally, there are benefits to being part of that vast "straight" majority. To call them luxuries comes across as a slight jab, but I'm sure that was unintentional.
    Privilege would have been a better word, agreed. It's very much str8 privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Freeman View Post
    Apparently, Fox gets a free pass. Why Quicksilver over Northstar? Where did Iceman disappear too? Isn't Mystique gay? Why isn't that ever explored at all. A franchise about the "Dream" with no black men and the ones they showed were killed off? I dong think you can bash the MCU and say nothing about Fox X-men who also had a movie come out.
    Surely your defence of the MCU's complete absence of LGBT people isn't: but... but... look at Fox!!! Come on. Fox doesn't get a pass, but they have done a great good for LGBT representation (it's just it's behind the camera/in real life). The MCU has not helped any openly LGBT actors or directors (or writers?) to my knowledge??? On top of that they've had less films (so the leading/greater responsibility is on the MCU films)... and lastly this us about Cap and his boyfriend. So it's hardly a Fox issue.

Always tackle the problem, rather than passing the buck/deflecting the issue.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 06-08-2016 at 02:14 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."