Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    not hardly. how many of those are repeat customers? did you look anywhere besides comic book resources? what's the pulse of the nation like in other corners of the universe, etc.
    You are basically saying that there isn't enough data in the world to sway your opinion. The data we have shows that a comic featuring a gay captain america would not be supported by the majority of current captain america fans.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, The Flash, Aquaman, Titans, Justice League, HJATGL, Supergirl, Superwoman, DC Bombshells
    Marvel: CANCELLED (good luck with your seasonal approach and constant reboots... I'll miss the characters though)
    Zenescope: Grimm Fairy Tales

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMC005 View Post
    You are basically saying that there isn't enough data in the world to sway your opinion. The data we have shows that a comic featuring a gay captain america would not be supported by the majority of current captain america fans.
    A bisexual Wolverine comic sold well; with only a little support (tie-in to big event). A gay Cap could sell (then again so could an Iceman solo series if they just tried and got it right).
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMC005 View Post
    the data we have shows a comic featuring a gay captain america would not be supported by a majority of current captain america fans commenting on this particular thread.

for clarification: my opinion is that captain american should NOT be turned gay.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    the data we have shows a comic featuring a gay captain america would not be supported by a majority of current captain america fans commenting on this particular thread.

for clarification: my opinion is that captain american should NOT be turned gay.
    Actually on CBR I have seen a lot say "not a gay Steve, but a gay Cap fine". Of course that support will dissipate if they actually did that, but meh. It'll never happen. Ever.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Surely your defence of the MCU's complete absence of LGBT people isn't: but... but... look at Fox!!! Come on. Fox doesn't get a pass, but they have done a great good for LGBT representation (it's just it's behind the camera/in real life). The MCU has not helped any openly LGBT actors or directors (or writers?) to my knowledge??? On top of that they've had less films (so the leading/greater responsibility is on the MCU films)... and lastly this us about Cap and his boyfriend. So it's hardly a Fox issue.
    Hold both Marvel and Fox accountable... as well as nearly every other studio out there.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/29...roes-hollywood

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Hold both Marvel and Fox accountable... as well as nearly every other studio out there.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/29...roes-hollywood
    Agreed, but when it comes to LGBT rep the MCU, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Star Trek and most other franchises have a lot more to answer about (in terms of LGBT rights) than the one studio hiring numerous openly LGBT actors and spear heading an entire franchise with an LGBT director as the point man. Better battles to fight, and all that. If everyone was doing "as bad" as Fox in LGBT rep it would be a lot easier being an openly LGBT actor.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ohnooze View Post
    The idea of turning Caption America into a gay man is completely ridiculous. I am aware that in some people's eyes that makes me a bigot
    Quote Originally Posted by tg1982 View Post
    If I asked the question "Would Marvel be in the wrong for GIVING Captain America a boyfriend" There are some on here that would label me a bigot.
    Anyone who calls someone a "bigot" over this or any other issue based on the strength of established character/history have no single solitary idea or clue what a "bigot" is.
    Last edited by C-Dot; 06-08-2016 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohnooze View Post
    Lots of sarcasm there but you're not stating anything other than your opinion. That's fine, we all have our opinions and I stand by what I said. The idea of turning Caption America into a gay man is completely ridiculous. I am aware that in some people's eyes that makes me a bigot. I'm ok with that honestly. The day Caption America is gay will be the day I stop buying it. If Marvel is ok with that then so am I...it won't break my heart. I don't have any problem with creating new characters that are gay or even confused about if they are a man or woman...makes no difference to me so long as they don't change the existing ones.

But this question "Is Marvel wrong for not making Caption America gay?". What kind of moronic question is that? Is it any different than saying "Is it wrong that Caption America is straight". I mean really....are people really this freaking twisted that now it could be considered wrong to be straight?
    Here's the thing: People know Marvel won't make Captain America LGBT. They know it's just not a possibility. It's something that would mean a lot to quite a few people, but they know it'll never happen. But the hashtag wasn't really about Captain America. It was about the fact THAT MARVEL STUDIOS HAS MADE THE DECISION TO PRETEND LGBT PEOPLE DO NOT EXIST. That's the issue here. How many movies now? And not one openly LGBT characters. Not one. None. Zero. Nada. Jack-goddamn-****. That's what the hashtag's real purpose was: To draw attention to the fact that Marvel Studios is completely ignoring the very existence of LGBT people, and refusing to commit to including openly LGBT characters in the immediate future. The most they'll commit is Feige saying they'll "probably" have one "in the next 10 years." Oh, well, thank you ever so much, Kevin, for the bold position of saying you might toss one in by 2025 or whatever. I'm sure LGBT people were so relieved to hear that.

That's the issue here. That's why the hashtag caught on. Because Marvel Studios is pretending that LGBT people don't exist. And that is b*******. It is absolutey b*******, it is unquestionably b*******, it is unacceptable b*******, and it is b******* that we need to continue to call out as b*******, because if people don't call it b*******, Marvel Studios will keep on pulling that same b*******.

So no, no one actually thinks it's wrong for Captain America to not have a boyfriend. What people do think is wrong is for Marvel Studios to pretend LGBT people do not exist. And I keep making this point. In this thread and another one, I keep making this specific point, because it is a point that needs to be made, it is a point that needs to be understood, it is a point that people keep frigging ignoring in favour of bitching about "Political Correctness" and bitching about unrelated ****. Marvel Studios is pretending LGBT people don't exist. They have made a conscious decision not to include openly LGBT characters in any of the movies. They've heard people asking for LGBT representation - of course they've heard it, there's no way they're not aware of it. And they thought about it. They weighed their options. They made a list of priorities. And they made a specific decision that LGBT representation was low on their list of priorities. That is a decision they made. They can deny it all they want, but it's what happened. They looked at people asking for LGBT representation, and they said, "It's not really that important, we'll do it later, we'll do it in another movie, we don't want to take the time to figure out how to include openly LGBT characters in this movie."

That is what people are upset about. That is why people tweeted #GiveCaptainAmericaABoyfriend. It has nothing to do with the comics. It barely has anything to do with Steve/Bucky shipping. It has to do with people being fed up with Marvel Studios making the choice to ignore the existence of LGBT people.

I don't know how to make this clearer. I don't know how else to get people to understand that this is the problem. Not whether a specific character is gay, but the fact that not one single character in the entirety of Marvel's movies has been openly LGBT.

OK? Do you understand? Do you understand the complaint? Do you understand what the issue is? Do you have anything to say about this specific issue? Are you going to defend Marvel Studios for pretending LGBT people don't exist? Or are you going to agree that they are being assholes in pretending that LGBT people exist? Because I've asked this question before, and no one has actually answered it. All the people outraged - OUTRAGED! - at the very idea of Captain America being gay, all the people saying Marvel should create new gay characters or push existing gay characters . . . these people are all completely silent when it comes to the movies. When asked what they think of the fact that Marvel Studios has made a very real decision to ignore LGBT representation. It's almost like these people don't actually give a **** about LGBT representation, they just don't want anyone to play with their toys.
    Last edited by Ravin' Ray; 06-08-2016 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Edited eight profanities in one sentence

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Indeed. "Straight-with-an-exception" is also an orientation that exists.

Sexuality is not a binary. It's not an either/or, where as soon as you kiss a guy with tongue you're now gay and think women are totally gross, bro. It's possible to be attracted to people from multiple genders! Or to be attracted to one gender, with one exception from another gender! Or all sorts of other possibilities!
    But do you really think that outlook fits a man who was brought up in the 1930's who reflects the morals and attitudes of that time? Captain America is the least logical superhero to be bisexual.

Quote Originally Posted by PinnyPed View Post
    But do you really think that outlook fits a man who was brought up in the 1930's who reflects the morals and attitudes of that time? Captain America is the least logical superhero to be bisexual.
    Because bisexual people didn't exist in the '30s? What, men being attracted to men was only invented in the '80s? Look, I'm not saying I think Cap should be bisexual, or that he should hook up with a guy. But saying he's from the '30s is not a good reason for not doing it. Quite the contrary, the fact that he's from the '30s means he would be more likely to be closeted, that he would convince himself that he's not attracted to men. If a writer chose to go the route of having him date a guy, then the fact that he's from the '30s would actually help the writer's case. He grew up in a time where gay urges were criminal, so he just refused to accept any urges he had, and repressed them completely, and now, over a decade after he woke in a more progressive and accepting time, he's found himself wanting to explore those urges he'd previously rejected.

Like I said, I'm not saying that story should be told. And I'm positive it won't be told. But it's a story that would certainly work, and the time he comes from would help make it work.

Incredible Member

It may be slightly off-topic, but when I read the recent news that Marvel was trying again to establish the rights to the Namor character, my first thought was: "Oh, that's gonna be their gay Avenger." Stupid thought, maybe, but that news kind of came at the same time that the Cap thing was becoming an issue, so it may have been on their mind.

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    It may be slightly off-topic, but when I read the recent news that Marvel was trying again to establish the rights to the Namor character, my first thought was: "Oh, that's gonna be their gay Avenger." Stupid thought, maybe, but that news kind of came at the same time that the Cap thing was becoming an issue, so it may have been on their mind.
    I'd be fine with Namor being gay in the movies, especially if he's a lead in his own franchise. But they should introduce LGBT characters in the movies before that. It's too late to add any to Dr. Strange. So they should put real, sincere effort into including an openly LGBT character in one of the 2017 movies. The main reason they don't is simple indifference. It's not a priority for them, so they make no real effort to do it.

And frankly, I sincerely doubt Namor would be gay in the movies, either, especially if he's a lead in his own franchise. Marvel Studios has proven they lack anywhere near the guts required to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by PinnyPed View Post
    Surely he's the most logical person to be bisexual, since he's specifically from a time period that oppressed such feelings?

BANNED

Where the hell is all of this weird gay talk about Steve Rogers coming from? Doesn't even make a lick of sense. What about his storylines over the last 20 years have been geared in any direction of being gay? LOL. Absurd.

The Gay agenda stuff is getting WAY out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    Where the hell is all of this weird gay talk about Steve Rogers coming from? Doesn't even make a lick of sense. What about his storylines over the last 20 years have been geared in any direction of being gay? LOL. Absurd.

The Gay agenda stuff is getting WAY out of hand.
    Sigh.

I doubt you'll actually stick around in this thread, now that you've gotten your drive-by "damn that gay agenda!" post out. But in the off-chance that you do stay here, maybe try reading this post I made? Which explains the real motivation behind the campaign?