Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    No Cap's the one being the dick there. Basically showing up on the X-Men, who've saved the world god knows how many times, with Hellicarriers and an army of Avengers and saying "you WILL hand over Hope Summers, this is not a negotiation." This is AFTER Wolverine already told him that Cyclops saw Hope as a savior and wouldn't hand her over without a fight. WTF did Cap think was going to happen? Oh and the Avenger's experience when dealing with the Phoenix is exactly jack squat, whereas the X-Men have dealt with it repeatedly over the years. If Cap were being written well, then he would have offered to sit down with Cyclops and come up with a solution that the both could live with. But then Marvel couldn't do their stupid heroes vs. heroes fight, so screw established characterization.
    Like Civil War, AvsX was all around character MASSACRE!

Peace

Incredible Member

Scarlet Witch turning crazy and dissembling everything.

BANNED

Yea, that is pretty the worst. Take a good character, rape her and send her off to live happily ever after with her rapist, then have another character rip her soul apart later on. The Carol I liked died at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by VJ. View Post
    Avengers #200 - Ms. Marvel's just been raped, mind controlled and kidnapped; this is the Avengers' response:

Attachment 4975

Really - that's the worst they've ever been written full stop.

BANNED

I think as long as the story sells the people writing it don't care if the characters get shredded and they are surprised that fans do.

Iron Man in Civil War easily takes the cake. Civil War should have either been a mindless romp of superheroes fighting each other over some silly issue, or a carefully constructed political tale that made both sides look reasonable. Marvel clearly went for the latter, but due to the politics of the staff (namely they didn't like George Bush) they turned the entire pro-registration side into Fascists and demonized Tony Stark in particular. The weakness of Civil War was it was meant to be an objective take on both sides (the tagline is "who's side are you on?" after all) but instead overtly demonized one and glorified another purely for outside political reasons. This of course, resulted in Tony Stark being made into Hitler, which took years to repair and indeed still plagues Marvel on a regular basis (see the current Original Sin Hulk vs. Iron Man).

BANNED

Thing of it is we call it 'assasination' they call it 'taking risk with a character'.

Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post
    Iron Man in Civil War easily takes the cake. Civil War should have either been a mindless romp of superheroes fighting each other over some silly issue, or a carefully constructed political tale that made both sides look reasonable. Marvel clearly went for the latter, but due to the politics of the staff (namely they didn't like George Bush) they turned the entire pro-registration side into Fascists and demonized Tony Stark in particular. The weakness of Civil War was it was meant to be an objective take on both sides (the tagline is "who's side are you on?" after all) but instead overtly demonized one and glorified another purely for outside political reasons. This of course, resulted in Tony Stark being made into Hitler, which took years to repair and indeed still plagues Marvel on a regular basis (see the current Original Sin Hulk vs. Iron Man).
    I found it to be the opposite in a way. To me, they said over and over again why Stark felt the way he did. He had seen that the registration act was a forgone conclusion, so he decided to help guide it rather than fight it. And a lot of time was given to his reasons for doing so.

Cap fought the act pretty much "just because" for all the reasoning they gave.

for me, the avengers as an institution was assassinated when they showed up in avx with anti-mutant weapons and treating the x-men like dangerous fanatics instead of friends and comrades. it all started with iron man during civil war, but the nail in the coffin for them was avx. they are not the heroes i grew up reading and don't stand for anything they used to stand for. these days they are nothing more than glorified police dogs who have no idea the meaning of the words trust and loyalty.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    I found it to be the opposite in a way. To me, they said over and over again why Stark felt the way he did. He had seen that the registration act was a forgone conclusion, so he decided to help guide it rather than fight it. And a lot of time was given to his reasons for doing so.

Cap fought the act pretty much "just because" for all the reasoning they gave.
    I didn't really care about Tony's reasons, only his actions. Let's face it there really was no need for Clor or for what he did to She-Hulk later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I didn't really care about Tony's reasons, only his actions. Let's face it there really was no need for Clor or for what he did to She-Hulk later on.
    I don't really know what he did to She-Hulk...I focused mostly on the main series and didn't bother with most of the crossovers. Having 12 different writers twisting things to fit the sidestory they want to tell is never going to lead to strong or consistent characterization. So I ignore most of it.

The main story as depicted by Millar really didn't do a lot to explain the anti-reg stance, nor did it portray Cap in a favorable light. To me, the heroes were in an unwinnable situation with no right answer, and both of them contributed to the problem.

Which I think, when used as an analogy for American politics, is pretty spot on.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Thing of it is we call it 'assasination' they call it 'taking risk with a character'.
    But how many risk can you take with a character until theirs nothing left but a hollow shell. Just look at Strange.

Fantastic Member

I agree, in CW Cap really had NO plan as to what to actually do, except "not register". His reaction was childish.

On the other hand, Tony cloned his dead friend, then allowed/helped Reed lobotomise the clone, then used it as a weapon against the original's friends. Clor was basically as bad as what happened to Bucky or X-23. IE some of the most tragic characters in Marvel.

It's like AvX both sides can agree that their characters were trashed.

I found it pretty un-Cap like for him and Giant Man to gang up on Wolverine and toss him out of the Quinjet during AvX.

But apparently it's all good between them.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    I don't really know what he did to She-Hulk...I focused mostly on the main series and didn't bother with most of the crossovers.
    he infected her blood with machines and then depowered her when she got out of line.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    he infected her blood with machines and then depowered her when she got out of line.
    She was attacking him and he told her to stop and then he injected her with the nanites. It wasn't to turn her powers on and off. If I recall it shut them off all together.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark