Default Who'd like to see a collection of the Atlas/Seaboard comics, of the 70s?

Just curious as to who would like to see a nice book collection or two of the Atlas/Seaboard comics, that Martin Goodman put out, after selling Marvel? They started out with a bang, enticing some top talent to come work for them, at higher rates and talk of ownership (never delivered). However, distribution problems, derivative titles, and the exit of many of those creators killed the line pretty quickly. They were notorious for rebooting the character on the 3rd or 4th issue, if one ever came. Bearing all of that in mind, they had some good titles, like Steve Ditko's Destructor, Howard Ckaykin's Scorpion (well for 2 issues), the Phoneix, Morlock 2001, Grim Ghost, Planet of Vampires, and Wulf the Barbarian. Most people never got to see the black & white magazines, though they were pretty much just Warren rip-offs. How about it, anyone interested to see if there were hidden treasures?

Amazing Member

Considering how much other less-worth material has been collected, I'd say sure. I've got a handful of the Atlas/Seaboard comics and they're definitely weird, amateurish and strange, but also kind of appealing in their weird way. "TIGERMAN" is one of my favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by Enemy Ace View Post
    Considering how much other less-worth material has been collected, I'd say sure. I've got a handful of the Atlas/Seaboard comics and they're definitely weird, amateurish and strange, but also kind of appealing in their weird way. "TIGERMAN" is one of my favourites.
    I have digital scans of the black & white magazines, and if you thought the color stuff was derivative, you should see them. They had a monster movie magazine that was practically a xerox of Famous Monsters and their Devilina was a pretty low-rent Vampirella. The ridiculous thing was that Larry Lieber was made editor of the black & white magazines and Jeff Rovin was the editor of the color comics. Rovin had worked for Warren and had the experience, while Lieber worked for Marvel; so, of course, you put them on the opposite material. The company was practically designed to fail.

Even so, I really enjoyed the Grim Ghost comics, Chaykin's two issues of the Scorpion, and Wulf the Barbarian was decent. The Phoenix was different and was one of the few unique ideas, until the last issue, when he became The Protector, a Green Lantern knock-off. Ditko's Destructor was one of his better post-Marvel comics, for my tastes.

Fantastic Member

I got the full run of the comics , all 61 issues . Really enjoyed whole series . Have not seen many of magazines, but pick up a copy of Thrilling adventure Stories issue 1 not to long ago . Of the comics I found the Vicki issues to be the hardest to find .

I'm not sure. I read Wulf, Scorpion, and Phoenix, but I never had much of an interest in the other series. I suppose they were derivative, but at the time I didn't quite have the knowledge to decode that. Basically, they were new to me. I have the feeling that it would be a "what was I thinking back then?" experience.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I'm not sure. I read Wulf, Scorpion, and Phoenix, but I never had much of an interest in the other series. I suppose they were derivative, but at the time I didn't quite have the knowledge to decode that. Basically, they were new to me. I have the feeling that it would be a "what was I thinking back then?" experience.
    Grim Ghost was pretty decent; certainly artistically. Destructor was one of the better post-Marvel Ditko works, for me. I had the war books and they were pretty generic. Targitt was fairly run of the millDirty Harry kind of stuff. Most of the superhero stuff struck me as pretty cookie-cutter It seemed like the ones that tried to move away from superheroes were better than the superhero stuff, for a lot of their books. They might not be classics; but, they were decent adventure stuff. No worse than Charlton, certainly.