Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default And I shall Shed My Light over the Dark Evil: GL Alan Scott Respect/Appreciation

This is a respect thread for the OG Green Lantern, Alan Scott, in all of his forms.

BANNED

You'll get my support for the original, but not so much for the N52 version who is basically a whole different character with the same name, and thus a disappointment when I was hoping for the original (as I always do with JSA/All-Stars)

Quote Originally Posted by Icefalcon View Post
    You'll get my support for the original, but not so much for the N52 version who is basically a whole different character with the same name, and thus a disappointment when I was hoping for the original (as I always do with JSA/All-Stars)

I hope this guy comes back on Rebirth Earth!
    Last edited by Doctor Kent Nelson; 06-05-2016 at 12:29 AM.
    I see everyone's fate but my own. Sometimes that scares me. But when I see the future of someone such as yourself, I believe in tomorrow again

Staff writer at www.impulsegamer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Kent Nelson View Post

Me, too! The original and best Green Lantern. I remembering reading my first Golden Age Green Lantern story in the 1970s. It was a reprint, published as a backup story in a Detective Comics "100 pages for 60 Cents" edition. In the story, GL kicked Sportsmaster's butt even without the use of his power ring. detective-comics-443.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Kent Nelson View Post

I'll second that

BANNED

You folks should be on board with this idea.

http://community.comicbookresources....ott-solo-title

Dc has 2 separate traditions on how to use Alan Scott. Pre coie, Alan Scott was on earth 2. Post coie, Alan Scott was on prime earth. Based on Rebirth, Geoff Johns seems to be bringing back prime earth Alan Scott and Jay Garrick first which are the characters Geoff Johns was associated with when he was writing pre flashpoint JSA for many years. The previews Rebirth cover also suggests that pre coie earth 2 is also still around.
    http://www.cosmicteams.com/jsa/profi...ity-inc-05.JPG
    Maybe prime earth rebirth Alan Scott will look like this :
    http://www.tencentticker.com/project...alanscott4.png
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 06-05-2016 at 08:42 AM.

a man who created images dr-brainwave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Icefalcon View Post
    Ditto!

I try to collect any Golden Age reprints that I can, including Alan Scott/Green Lantern. The concept is excellent, even if the early art is at the poorer end of the spectrum when it comes to quality. I appreciate the two Archives that DC published, and I wish they had continued to produce them. There are random stories in other collections too, of course. I like that Alan is often more like Batman in some ways, sneaking around in the shadows and using his fists as often as his ring. It's really a very different concept than the later Green Lantern Corps.

First appearance: All-American Comics #16 (July 1940)

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

What's the general view towards retroactively revealing classic Alan Scott as a gay man once the JSA returns?

I think it would be an interesting idea. Given how conservative Alan has been portrayed over the decades, it would certainly make sense for him to be coming to the realization about his sexual orientation so late in life. It would add a nice wrinkle to his strained relationships with Obsidian, Harlequin and Rose & Thorn.

I mean, even Roy Thomas, of all people, revealed that Alan wore a toupe for years to conceal his receding hairline, so it's not like this would be out of character for him.

I don't know, I think it would be an interesting direction to take the character that the New 52 Earth-2 version couldn't capitalize on because he was essentially a brand new character with the same name. Whereas exploring this with classic Alan Scott has far more weight because of his past history.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    What's the general view towards retroactively revealing classic Alan Scott as a gay man once the JSA returns?

I think it would be an interesting idea. Given how conservative Alan has been portrayed over the decades, it would certainly make sense for him to be coming to the realization about his sexual orientation so late in life. It would add a nice wrinkle to his strained relationships with Obsidian, Harlequin and Rose & Thorn.
    As a general rule, comic book readers hate any sort of change.

I didn't mind the new Earth 2 Alan Scott being gay...but many people couldn't stand it. I doubt we see that series revived anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    As a general rule, comic book readers hate any sort of change.

I didn't mind the new Earth 2 Alan Scott being gay...but many people couldn't stand it. I doubt we see that series revived anytime soon.
    I wasn't happy with DC making Alan Scott gay in the New 52 version, but since he wasn't the same character as the original Golden Age Green Lantern, it was a different story.
    Now, if DC decides to return the original Golden Age Green Lantern and then retroactively decide to make him a closeted homosexual, and if they try to rewrite his past stories and include this "new" development, then I'll be royally pissed. If they want a new gay character, they should create a NEW character, not change an already existing one with decades worth of existing stories.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

I mean, even Roy Thomas, of all people, revealed that Alan wore a toupe for years to conceal his receding hairline, so it's not like this would be out of character for him.

I don't know, I think it would be an interesting direction to take the character that the New 52 Earth-2 version couldn't capitalize on because he was essentially a brand new character with the same name. Whereas exploring this with classic Alan Scott has far more weight because of his past history.
    If it's the same Alan Scott as the Post Crisis era, complete with Grandkids, I wouldn't want it. But If it were an entirely new Alan Scott, that I could get behind

My personal version of Alan is a man in his 90s with a long history of being a Gay Rights activist in his Post-Lantern career

Alan Scott's love life is a ultra soap operaesqe mess that Alan bring gay might actually fit into.